Gotoh tuner too small for Low F?

• Thread starter devnull
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devnull

Reaction score
Recently just got a RG852 and ran across an issue I have read about on here before. Currently using NYXL0980's tuned to F (or dropped Eb if I am bored) and I ran into the issue where the string is too thick for the locking tuner.

In a pinch to set the guitar up last night I just pulled the thinner gauged portion of the string as far as it can go and wound the string like a normal tuner would. I know this isn't the best way to do this. What's the best method to open up that string hole (terminology, what)?

A. Use a small circular file and hollow it out a bit more. I don't know how much material I will need to take out, but I don't want to screw up the tuner as I dont know how much material there even is to file out.

B. Unwind the string. I tried this a little bit last night and will need to buy another set of pliers to make this work. Chances are I will stab myself quite a bit when doing this as well.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I usually just use a very sharp titanium coated or cobalt drill. It doesnt need to be a super nice drill bit but it should be sharp. I use a cordless drill. Just make sure your locking post isnt locked or you will ruin the locking capability.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

devnull

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;4667450 said:
I have unwound strings. It does indeed work.

Is there some hidden method to doing this? I had a hell of a time trying to get it unwound.

pantsaregood

Reaction score
If the string almost fits, just cut the end of the string diagonally. The 64s I use to tune to B won't go through my 21:1 Gotoh locking tuners normally, but doing this allows them to narrowly fit.

If it isn't even close, then unwinding is probably your best option.