Gradual Tempo Changes w/ VSTi Drums

• Thread starter MrPepperoniNipples
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I really wanna do some sort of gradual increase in tempo, like where one riff will be repeated and get faster and faster each time

but i have no idea how to go about this without doing some super convoluted series of recordings and files and what not

i'm using Reaper at the moment, and it just has me set a tempo for the entire track

1. Is there some way to go about doing this in a simpler way in Reaper and
2. If not, do other DAW's give me this easier method?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aiur55

Reaction score
If you right click on where your time/measure bar at the top is, there should be a context menu. Select "Insert Time Signature Marker". A menu will pop up. Use that menu. You could either manually increase tempo or set the tempo to increase gradually to selected tempo. Then your midi drums should be set to the new tempo.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ It's nothing to do with time signature. (Unless of course you are saying that the tempo option is found via insert time sig).

In my software, it's Insert Tempo Marker. You could do a series of those like said, or maybe you have a Tempo Draw window where you can draw a line graph and make an ascending line.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
^ It's nothing to do with time signature. (Unless of course you are saying that the tempo option is found via insert time sig).

In my software, it's Insert Tempo Marker. You could do a series of those like said, or maybe you have a Tempo Draw window where you can draw a line graph and make an ascending line.

In reaper, tempo marker and time signature marker are under the same option.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I'm sure there is an easier way to do it but I've always gotten used to inserting a different time signature to make the measures smaller (2/4 rather than 4/4) and gradually change the tempo for each measure. Not the most elegant solution, but works fine and I probably wouldn't able to feel the linearity anyway.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Just curious, why do you change the time signature? Just because it's easier to insert tempo changes on the bar? Why not just place them on the half bar in 4/4?

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
screenshot20120515at120.png

aiur55

Reaction score
Thanks Razzy!
Just to clear things up, it is the same menu to change tempo as to change time signature.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Check the settings on your recorded playback so that the tempo change does not affect your recorded tracks. If you do not do this they will speed up and slow down with the tempo marker.

A work around if you can't adjust sample playback is to render all midi (drums, synths etc.), Save As "Project 1 - Tempos removed", delete the tempo changes and carry on, as the rendered files will have the tempo changes. You could also render a click and place markers at the tempo change.

You shouldn't have to do that, unless your software lacks the options.

Latest posts