Graphtec Ghost saddles

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Since I was pleased with replacing my stock saddles on my PRS USA Holcomb with Graphtec String Savers, it made me look at the Graphtec Ghost Piezo saddles differently. How difficult of an operation would it be to be able to install these in my Holcomb? Is the end result worth the investment? Im not exactly thrilled with the clean tones from my Fishmans and wondered if installing and utilizing the Piezo pickups for my clean tones would be worth the investment? Ive never had an opportunity to experiment with a guitar that was PIezo equipped so i have no experience with them.

images

mastapimp

Reaction score
Installing the saddles wouldn't be hard, it's the rest of the piezo system that will require some work. You need to include the preamp that they're compatible with as well as decide how you want to handle the piezo signals. Do you plan on routing and installing a 2nd output jack? If not, you will likely need to add a blend knob. Both cases would require another toggle switch for on/off of the preamp.

The switching on my mayones (single output jack) regarding the piezo is a three-way toggle for pure magnetic, blended (piezo + mag), and pure piezo. The knobs are volume, tone, and blend w/ push-pull splitting for the pickups.

It looks like you've already swapped the tone knob for the voicing switch of the fluence system, so you're looking at adding several more knobs/switches to get full use of the piezo system. Seeing as the knobs are recessed, it'll look very strange on that guitar after the fact and I'm not sure what the control cavity looks like so you might be limited on placement or it could get crowded, especially if you end up re-adding a tone knob.

Personally, I would save this kind of thing for another guitar with a flat top or even try out a piezo-equipped guitar to see if you like it before committing to anything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Our friend @mastapimp pointed out some good thoughts to think about.

I have 3 guitars with these Ghost piezos, all flat top RGs and they're all super modded.

Graphtech's Acousti-phonic preamp, dedicated to the piezos, has a dedicated stereo output Jack that allows you to use a stereo jack and get separated signals for different amp/FX chain, which could be great for AXE FX users, for example. It also comes with a 3 way mini switch for mag/mix/piezo mixing. Then there's a wire harness to hook up to a Piezo dedicated volume know of your choice, or you could get one from them as well. They also have an add on for the piezo voicing, which they call the "dark switch", but I've never tried that one.

If you're cool with guitar wiring and circuitry, you can add a tone pot for the piezos like you do with the mags and it can in fact change their tone, it's not the dark switch, but could be an alternative.

When doing these kind of mods to a guitar, one has to plan the install, where to place what controls.
- You're looking at adding a mix mini switch and a volume pot, minimum. If you buy their volume pot, it is a push/pull type and takes the function of the "Dark Switch" voicing. All my 3 Ghost loaded guitars have dedicated volumes for mags and piezos, and no blend pot.
- You have to think about how to manage the piezo's wires from the saddles to the preamp board. Graphtech's Ghost install manual suggests to carve some grooves on the bridge pickup's ring and then send them to the control cavity by the pickup's wire channel in the guitar's body. I opted for routing a small chamber under the bridge baseplate to gather these wires and then rout them to the main control cavity. This also means that I drilled the bridge's baseplate to pass the piezos wires through. This helps to keep the guitar's look but is not reversible, while the suggestion on having the piezo wires going through the bridge pickup cavity is. Do note that the channel connecting the pickup's cavity to the control cavity may need to be enlarged.

My suggestion would go to place the piezo's volume where that toggle switch is and add 2 mini switches side by side, one for the Fishman's voicings, one for the piezo/mix/Mags switching.

Regarding the output jack, since my guitars had barrel type jacks, I had to enlarge the jack's channel and install them with a jack plate, so I could use the dedicated output jack provided by Graphtech. There are no stereo switchable barrel jacks as far as I know.

This install will have non reversible mods on your guitar, namely the drilling for at least 2 switches. If this is a beat up workhorse guitar (I don't think so) or a lower tier one, I wouldn't mind doing the under the bridge chamber.

I started with the piezos things by 2002 when I bought brand new my first RG2027XVV. It took me a while to get hooked on the piezo sounds and when it hit me I started to look for how to mod guitars. Graphtech was the first brand I got parts from for these sounds and some guitars I bought since about 2006 where because I could mod them to receive these. Regarding the electric guitar piezo tones, I prefer LR Baggs (these came installed on my RG2027XVV) when compared to Graphtech's and If I knew what I now know, I'd probably had gone with LR Baggs instead. I'm not saying I don't like the sounds from my Ghost loaded guitars, just saying that I prefer the others. Graphtech's Ghost saddles make the mags sound different, like loosing mids or something, like the pickup's EQ gets changed... I also prefer the piezo sounds from LR Baggs, but that maybe because I play those guitars more (I have 3 guitars loaded with LR Baggs', 2 from factory and one EdgePro modded). As far as piezos go, my experience is limited to LR Baggs and Graphtech.

Nevertheless, either Graphtec's or LR Baggs' customer service/help desk is TOP, I have nothing but excellent experience with both.

Latest posts