Great rhythm guitarist?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
Hetfeild
Pat and Rob of Cannibal Corpse
Mustaine
The guys in Fleshgod Apocalypse
Also.......
EVERY RHYTHM GUITARIST THAT HAS PLAYED WITH FRANK ZAPPA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
some of my favorite rhythm guitarists, they are not solely rhythm guitarists per se, but I find their rhythm playing amazing:

James Hetfield
Robben Ford
Nuno
Eddie Van Halen
Wes Montgomery

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, i havent cared to read through the whole long-ass thread, but i couldve sworn we were talking about "rhythm guitarists", not "lead guitarists".

Uh... maybe because a lot of lead guitarists have even better rhythmic chops? If you can't play solid rhythm, I dunno how you can be a virtuoso lead player... since you need rhythm or else it's just a bunch of technical wanking.

Jon Levasseur

Reaction score
So many great rhythm guitar players out there but here are my favs:

James Hetfield
Eric Peterson
John Petrucci
Rob Barett
Michael Amott

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
BRIAN FROM BLACK DAHLIA MURDER. seriously in my opinion the greatest rhythm guitar player of the last decade. maybe im a little bias because i love everything the BDM do but i think brian is a genius

oh and:
javier
browne
peteyg (i have such a crush on everything pete does even the CAGE stuff)
mrak holocomb

thedonal

Reaction score
So from me, you have

Eddie Van Halen- so much focus on his lead and tapping. His rhythm is amazing- great riffs and a killer groove (which is also what makes his lead so special)
James Hetfield- the best guitarist in Metallica. Down stroke and rifftastic.
jimmy Page- how many great riffs?
Tony Iommi- see above
big Jim Martin. FNM's The Real Thing. Fucking tight and amazing rhythm. Nuff sed.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I def got to add to the Van Halen calls, I think he really does get overlooked as a rhythm player, he has an awesome groove especially DLR era, things like I'm the One, Hot for Teacher, Beautiful Girls, I'm on Fire or Mean Street

Plus Roth is a hell of a player too, that's not Eddie playing the intro to Take your Whiskey Home or Ice Cream Man that's Dave finger picking acoustic playing

TosinAsLeader

We sail at dawn
Reaction score
Still the coolest/most brutal Dean ever :cool::fawk:

Did someone say Lee McKinney? I want to throw their drummer Cameron in there as well.

The whole band is great! I don't see how Lee McKinney plays rhythm? LOL Jason Richardson. He is responsible for having so many groovy technical written and playing in BOO.

Everyone read this! (I paste it for your convenience)

Guitarist Jason Richardson, formerly of Born Of Osiris, has revealed the reasoning behind his departure from the band. He is currently playing in Chelsea Grin and is definitely happier in that environment.
Please read Jason’s statement below and let us know how you feel about these events.
“Just to clarify to everyone I did NOT quit Born of Osiris, I would have never been able to bring myself to do such a thing no matter how much tension was between us. All of those dudes were essentially my family, I lived in the same house as them for over 2 years. This was by no means at all my decision(not that I was involved in the decision in any way shape or form lol). I have been fired from the band because I, “don’t agree with the way they want to live their lives” and “it felt like their dad was in the band.
So instead of confronting me about my endlessness bitching about their excessive drinking and assorted drug abuse they decided that calling me at 130 in the morning 4 days before christmas while I’m home visiting family to tell me that all of my belongings from the new BOO house were in my trailer on the way to me in VA was the professional way to handle it. So i can say with pride that I will NEVER play another note on stage with the group of cowards that is Born of Osiris.
I don’t give a fuck what they think of me for putting their personal stuff out there, I want everyone to see them for who they really are. I’m just happy the truth finally came out and now I know what truly matters to them and it is NOT putting out albums like The Discovery.
On another note I will continuing the rest of my musical endeavors with Chelsea Grin, as we are already really great friends and with the recent loss of their guitar player we were able to make the best out of two very shitty situations.
I will be involved with the writing process of their next release which is supposed to be dropped before warped tour this summer. You guys heard how much a higher place sucked and what came after it, so get ready for some of the sickest CG you’ve ever heard!”

From: Jason Richardson Speaks Out About Being Fired From Born Of Osiris | Under the Gun Review

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
toki wartooth...

Toki+Wartooth+Toki_Wartooth.jpg

mike0

Reaction score
Jesper Strömblad
Jon Schaffer
Dustie Waring. i think he's faaar too underrated.
Alex Lifeson. his rhythm work and chord voicings are some of my absolute favorites

timbucktu123

Reaction score
Matt heafy from trivium anybody? he's such a tight player and what he sings and plays at the same time is insane

HOKENSTYFE

HeartWyrm
Reaction score
I've been listening to some solo stuff by Glen Frey, some Eagles and Motley Crue. These guys are clever in the riffage they have created and, tend to get overlooked.

-Glen Frey
-Mick Mars

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Matt Harvey of Exhumed. Seriously. Look up the tabs for the song Matter of Splatter and see for yourself how fucking insane those sliding power chords are. His rhythm chops are just as phenomenal to see in person as they sound on the album Anatomy is Destiny.

I know he is a lead player, but since they do not have a regular member that is solely on lead guitar (IIRC they just hire someone when they go do tours), I'll go with Matt Sotelo of Decrepit Birth.

John Gallagher - Dying Fetus

I'm sure there are a few others I wanna mention but it's late and my ability to think properly is just shot. :lol: