Grounding Individual Bridges...

• Thread starter Purelojik
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purelojik

Reaction score
Ok so while i was in india for med school i was tinkering around with some wood to make a 7 string fanned fret guitar. I'd made a regular 7 and figured i'd give it a shot since parts/wood/tools were cheap and i wouldnt cry if i made a mistake (which i made PLENTY of already) but its all part of the learning experience... anyhow

so i hacked up a normal seven string bridge i got for 15 bucks off guitarpartsdepot. (kurt over at rondo music sold me a buncha individual bridges now but at the time when i was making this i had no other option and i figured whats teh worst that could happen). Sure it looks like a hackjob but its a prototype and is intended purely as a functional instrument.

So my main question is...how should i go about grounding the individual bridges?

im using a 8 string SD Blackout cause i wanna see what the hype is. on the diagram they state that there should be a wire from the bridge to the volume pot as a ground. I am also an EMG user and know they put their grounds internally, which begs the question; If you can direct swap a EMG for a SD blackout without using anything more than the existing EMG solderless quick connect cable...do i really even need a physical ground cable?

And since a thread is worthless without pics....
Here is a link to the Blog where i show the progress of the build. Be warned, its a serious hackjob...im trying to be macguyver with bare tools lol.

Lutherie…

Please lemme know how i should approach this.. Thanks guys

Alex Myla:wavey:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I would have mounted the saddles on an individual plate then ground that. Otherwise , just run a wire across all of them.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
you don't ground bridge with active pickups because of shock risk

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purelojik

Reaction score
see thats the thing... look at this wiring diagram... i have a 8 string SD blackout... and it says theres a ground wire. i know actives (EMG) doesnt use a ground wire but SD seems to be a diff story...

Wiring Diagram

check that out and tell me what you think

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
The string grounding wire is not necessary.