Guitar Cabinet opinion

Diaolosh

Reaction score
I am in search of a 4x12 cabinet for my studio (no live, some rehearsals and some Recordings). At the moment I can find the following cabs at exactly the same price (around 300 euros) brand new. Which one you think would be the best choice?

1) harley benton (vintage 30)
2) laney iron heart (hh custom)
3) marshall mx (celestion g12)

P.s For 150 euros more I can get the Marshall 1960 (celestion g12t-75) but is that much better in reality that I should spent the extra cash?

Thanks in advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
My money would be spent on the harley benton cab. V30s are hard to beat, even the cheap chinese models. They're a quality speaker, and the cabs construction seems to get high praises in it's price range.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
It depends on your style and amp...some amps don’t gel very well with say, v30’s or 12t75’s. Personally I would go for the 1960 cab, they’re very well built and the t75’s sit well with lots of amps (flame warning lol)- the speakers are only part of the equation and can be swapped where as a budget cabinet might not sound good no matter what speakers are in it...cab construction is important for quality sound especially for recording and if you plan on keeping it

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Out of those options, I’d probably grab the Benton cab and try to sell/trade 2 or 3 of the V30’s and get a few other speakers to load into the cab.

Since it’s a studio tool: you’ll have one or two mics on one to two speakers per take, so having some speaker options will have a bigger impact on your recordings vs which budget 4x12 you grab. A collection of V30, GT75, GM65, GH Redback, EVM12L, C90, Fane speakers etc. loaded up into your cab will give you so many options to get a great tone.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
It depends on your style and amp...some amps don’t gel very well with say, v30’s or 12t75’s. Personally I would go for the 1960 cab, they’re very well built and the t75’s sit well with lots of amps (flame warning lol)- the speakers are only part of the equation and can be swapped where as a budget cabinet might not sound good no matter what speakers are in it...cab construction is important for quality sound especially for recording and if you plan on keeping it
I use a 1960 live and it’s a great cab. Even though I’ve swapped the GT75’s out for Neodymium speakers, I’m a big fan of that speaker. I have two of them loaded in my Fender HR Deville and it’s so fat and creamy.

Lindmann

SS.org Rectangular
Reaction score
I once had the benton 2x12 v30.
It was good for live use but when recorded it lacked low end and combined with a Bugera 6262 (Peavy 6505 clone) it was way too mid focused.
At least for metal. I also recorded a blues rock band with it and it sounded stellar.

Diaolosh

Reaction score
You really don't want to save money on the cab. Get a good quality used 2x12 and never look back.

I once had the benton 2x12 v30.
It was good for live use but when recorded it lacked low end and combined with a Bugera 6262 (Peavy 6505 clone) it was way too mid focused.
At least for metal. I also recorded a blues rock band with it and it sounded stellar.

Hey guys thanx for your suggestions, I already have a fairly good 2x12 cab (marshall 1936). The problem is the lack of bottom end and the sense of 'air' compared to a 4x12 . I have been looking in the used market, but at the prices I can find these cabs brand new I think they can be a better deal.

Diaolosh

Reaction score
Many of you suggest the benton cab. Has anyone had experience on their build quality compared to the other options? I ask this as speakers are obviously important but how about the materials used? Won't they affect the sound or its just marketing? I'm no expert at this but my minimal knowledge would suggest that the laney (normally priced almost 500 euros) or the Marshall MX would be a better deal. no?

And on a final note, the Marshall 1960 is considered THE classic rock'n'roll cab. Should I aim for something that much pricier although the 1936 I have has the same speakers?

I'm stressing the fact that all of these cabs I can get for much cheaper than normal due to a special deal.

Lindmann

SS.org Rectangular
Reaction score
The benton is made of plywood.
The build quality appears pretty good to me.

But...if it is bottom end that you are looking for, I would suggest considering something 'overzized' like the Mesa standard or Engl XXL. There are other ones as well.

These days I am using the Mesa standard and it is just perfect. Huge but tight low end and almost no post eq required.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
You really don’t want to skimp on the cab, I think you’d be better off finding a good used cab than buying a low/mid tier cab new.

Speakers are important but cab dimensions are also. Look at the dimensions of the cabs you’re looking into, and compare to the dimensions of cabs that are popular. If more low end is what you’re looking for, you’ll probably want a deeper, bigger cab. Compare the measurements of a Recto cab or orange cab to the Harley Benton and see how they compare.

Marshall cabs are classic and tons of records have been made with them. The t75 speakers can be a point of contension though. That speaker doesn’t work with all amps, some people like them and some hate them. Those that like them often seem to be using old cabs that are heavily broken in. Also bare in mind many old Marshall cabs may actually have k85’s or greenbacks in them.

If your budget is fixed and you can’t find anything good in your price range, you could also consider making your own, if you’re any good with woodworking or know someone who is. Even someone with pretty basic woodworking or cabinetry skills could get the job done.

laxu

Reaction score
I agree with mnemonic. Too small cab and it will sound boxy and too large/deep and it can have a low end that is hard to control. Things like cabinet thickness and how the internals are done also has an effect on sound.

Marshall cabs are a pretty safe "industry standard" cab that is easy to find. I loathe the T75 speakers though so I would look for one with almost any other Celestions. You did not mention what amp you use as some speakers might not be a good fit.

Out of the options you listed the Harley Benton seems like the best choice. Made of plywood and has V30s in it.

Diaolosh

Reaction score
The benton is made of plywood.
The build quality appears pretty good to me.

But...if it is bottom end that you are looking for, I would suggest considering something 'overzized' like the Mesa standard or Engl XXL. There are other ones as well.

These days I am using the Mesa standard and it is just perfect. Huge but tight low end and almost no post eq required.

Im sorry I should clarify. Its not bottom end Im looking in general. It's that compared to a 2x12 cab that's all. Unfortunately ENGL's XLL and Mesas are way out of the budget at the moment.

Diaolosh

Reaction score
You really don’t want to skimp on the cab, I think you’d be better off finding a good used cab than buying a low/mid tier cab new.

Speakers are important but cab dimensions are also. Look at the dimensions of the cabs you’re looking into, and compare to the dimensions of cabs that are popular. If more low end is what you’re looking for, you’ll probably want a deeper, bigger cab. Compare the measurements of a Recto cab or orange cab to the Harley Benton and see how they compare.

Marshall cabs are classic and tons of records have been made with them. The t75 speakers can be a point of contension though. That speaker doesn’t work with all amps, some people like them and some hate them. Those that like them often seem to be using old cabs that are heavily broken in. Also bare in mind many old Marshall cabs may actually have k85’s or greenbacks in them.

If your budget is fixed and you can’t find anything good in your price range, you could also consider making your own, if you’re any good with woodworking or know someone who is. Even someone with pretty basic woodworking or cabinetry skills could get the job done.

I agree with mnemonic. Too small cab and it will sound boxy and too large/deep and it can have a low end that is hard to control. Things like cabinet thickness and how the internals are done also has an effect on sound.

Marshall cabs are a pretty safe "industry standard" cab that is easy to find. I loathe the T75 speakers though so I would look for one with almost any other Celestions. You did not mention what amp you use as some speakers might not be a good fit.

Out of the options you listed the Harley Benton seems like the best choice. Made of plywood and has V30s in it.

I have been looking for used cabs for quite a while, the thing is, the prices are being sold at are similar to what I could find them for new (Unless its a really worn one). I already have a Marshall 1936 which is an oversized 2x12 with t75's so I probably would go to expand my sonic pallete with something else, V30's preferably.

I could stretch my budget a little bit to get the normal 1960 but that's with t75 so no gain there. The vintage version goes way up.

At the studio I use a Peavey Valveking and an Engl Powerball, but that will depend on the session as well , it could be anything.

Getting in the DIY territory could be an option , I got the tools to make one but that probably could wait for later .

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The price of gear listed doesnt mean its what you will pay.

Find a used orange 412 and enjoy.

Diaolosh

Reaction score
Not sure what the used market is like in Europe, but in the US, the answer is always a used recto standard cab.

It's almost double the prices compared to yours sometimes. I wouldn't even think about it if they were cheaper here.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
It's almost double the prices compared to yours sometimes. I wouldn't even think about it if they were cheaper here.
Figured as much. That's a shame. I think I paid 300usd for mine.

Then again you guys get cheap engls so I guess there's a tradeoff.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
Of the listed: Marshall 1960.

Better option -- save up for a Marshall 1960V or a Diezel FL412.