Guitar Pro Alternatives?

• Thread starter WishIwasfinnish
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
Does anyone here know of any alternatives to guitar pro that work well? I think the program sucks and use it because it is the only thing as good as it is, which is sad, because the capabilities of the thing are so far behind what a modern app should be. I can't have more than 5 tracks on the thing before it starts slowing down dramatically and a million other intuitive things that a good program should have are absent. Thanks, and I hope I'm not the only one with these concerns. I have seen a few alternatives after searching a bit but all seem similar to guitar pro and focus on their fancy sound banks. ALL I WANT IS SOME FUNCTIONALITY DAMNIT. IT CAN SOUND LIKE MARIO KART FOR ALL I CARE. Thanks again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
Does anyone here know of any alternatives to guitar pro that work well? I think the program sucks and use it because it is the only thing as good as it is, which is sad, because the capabilities of the thing are so far behind what a modern app should be. I can't have more than 5 tracks on the thing before it starts slowing down dramatically and a million other intuitive things that a good program should have are absent. Thanks, and I hope I'm not the only one with these concerns. I have seen a few alternatives after searching a bit but all seem similar to guitar pro and focus on their fancy sound banks. ALL I WANT IS SOME FUNCTIONALITY DAMNIT. IT CAN SOUND LIKE MARIO KART FOR ALL I CARE. Thanks again.

Which version are you using? Guitar pro 5 is revolutionary for me but i wouldnt touch 6.

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
I am using 6. Do you find 5 to be much faster and able to handle many tracks? I can't remember what it's like anymore.

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
I am using 6. Do you find 5 to be much faster and able to handle many tracks? I can't remember what it's like anymore.

Two different worlds man, i write songs very fast on guitar pro and often have had 10 tracks at a time but if you set it up right you can go up to 16 i think. The only problem that ever happens if having to restart the program after you get a french message, which takes about 5 seconds. The flow of the program is never a problem. Guitar pro 6 is convoluted and sounds terrible, the workflow is terrible compared to 5 especially the drums. Guitar pro 5 drums made me a great drum writer. I am waiting patiently on guitar pro 7 to restore the ease of use that gp5 had.

faloppa

Reaction score
Two different worlds man, i write songs very fast on guitar pro and often have had 10 tracks at a time but if you set it up right you can go up to 16 i think. The only problem that ever happens if having to restart the program after you get a french message, which takes about 5 seconds. The flow of the program is never a problem. Guitar pro 6 is convoluted and sounds terrible, the workflow is terrible compared to 5 especially the drums. Guitar pro 5 drums made me a great drum writer. I am waiting patiently on guitar pro 7 to restore the ease of use that gp5 had.

^ Exactly the same thought here, I tried to use GP6 but had a lot of issues with it, I guess I'll stick to GP5 'til death.

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
^ Exactly the same thought here, I tried to use GP6 but had a lot of issues with it, I guess I'll stick to GP5 'til death.

If gp7 has tab drums, rewire, vst support, i would barely use anything else for writing. Gp5 was great because it made everything so simple. They need to expand on their ideas while keeping the simplicity, which is the opposite of 6.

thrashmetal85

Reaction score
Sucks that GP5 doesn't support 8s though :noway:

Judging by the comments I'm glad I didn't upgrade to 6. Ive been using Guitar-pro since V3 in 1999

There used to be Power tab; I liked to use that when GP couldn't output traditional music scores AND you could customise the spacing for printing. But it looks like it hasn't seen any updates for some time.

http://www.power-tab.net/index.php

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
why someone couldnt just make rewire support for any of these is beyond me.

Contra

Reaction score
Have you tried TuxGuitar? It's really straightforward and actually might sound a little bit like Mario Kart. I've been able to run it just fine one some really unimpressive computers, so I doubt there would be problems with it slowing down.

The program free to download, so you might as well try it out and see if it works any better for you.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I would gladly recommend Tuxguitar too. It can only handle 10 channels (or at least it only has 10 buses so you can't control the tracks individually if you use more than 10) but you can run it on literally any computer. Even my old crappy pc from like 2002 could run it well. Very easy to use too, I really prefer the interface compared to Guitar Pro 5.

WishIwasfinnish

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies, it looks like I'll be going back to GP5 then. And I will check out Tuxguitar too. I actually appreciate the decent sounds from GP6 and the realistic sound engine because they give me a better idea of what things may sound like but it's not worth the slowness.

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
I use a program called Tabit TabIt Home

Its really simple but it works for everything I need it for. I like the way its laid out in panoramic style so you can see the parts lined up. It has some drawbacks because you can't do triplets accurately, but Its just really quick and easy to start writing stuff so it helps my workflow a lot. and you can export midi so I can just export my drum parts into my DAW to go with EZDrummer or whatever.

EDIT: I just read a little bit about TuxGuitar and it seems pretty cool, especially because its free. Does anyone know if you can you set it up in a panoramic view? If so I'll probably start using that.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
GP6 all the way. I loved GP5, but once I got used to 6, it was game over.

To the OP: PowerTab is free.

MetalHeartGR

Reaction score
GP5 is my best friend! I installed GP6 once and unistalled it right away. I don't need fancy fx, I want to write or see some music... It's not as good looking as GP6 but it's much easier and faster. It also has some realististic soundbanks which can be added. It doesn't support 8strings tho'...

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Been usin gp5 since the day it came out. Never again will I try gp6. The drums turned me off from it.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yet another thread that makes me pissed I forgot to backup GP5 and only had GP4 backed up.

Reaction score
GP5 is the best for windows computers, it doesn't work at all on mac, it's broken.

There's Tuxguitars that is free and pretty simple to use, I haven't used it too much so I don't know how well it works, but it looked pretty neat.

eyeswide

Reaction score
But seriously, does anyone know what the .... happened with 6? It's honestly like it could be the predecessor to 5, like they took everything in GP6, then made it better in GP5. GP6 looks quite a bit nicer, but everything beyond that, in my experience, is inferior to GP5.