Guitar recommendation (1000 USD / 1000 EUR)?

• Thread starter mullet_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mullet_

Reaction score
Sup everyone. I'm a beginner/intermediate guitarist. Want to switch from EPI LP to something else. Grew out of love with LP style. Still love music and this hobby. I love all kinds of music, not just metal. Tried getting some help in other places earlier, hopefully i get more than 1-2 guys responding this time.

Basically i want 25.5 scale, hard tail and satin finish if possible. Hipshot style over TOM if possible too. Pickups aren't completely deal breaking because they can be replaced, but i gravitate towards passives. Guitar needs to be comfortable. Been looking at your typical ESP LTD's, Charvel, Schecter etc. These two guitars got my attention over others because they're the only non imports with these specs i've seen in this price range and even come with hard cases. And they look nice:

Ibanez RG652MPBFX-AGF
(poplar burl, satin finish, gibraltar bridge, Dimarzio pickups, 24 frets, 17 inch radius)

Jim Root Strat (blacked out strat, EMGs, hipshot, compound 12-16 inch radius, modern C neck profile, 22 frets)

Unfortunately couldn't post direct links due to new member limits. Any opinions on these guitars, or recommendations for something else? I know Kiesel is popular, but that brand is uncommon in EU.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I owned the Jim Root Tele for several years. It isn't a versatile guitar. EMG81 in the bridge means metal and not much else. Also, the bridge isn't hipshot - it's a kinda crappy Fender one. The saddle adjustment screws kept coming loose on mine.

Can't speak to the Ibanez, but the two you suggested are VERY different. Ibanez are famous for their thin, flat necks. The Jim Root has a pretty chunky C shaped neck. You might want to try before you buy because you might really dislike one of those shapes.

I also wouldn't worry too much about "non import". The Jim Root isn't near the quality of the "real" US Fender stuff (e.g. a Fender Professional Strat).

Personally, I'd be gravitating towards the LTD 1000 series. Quality is great. Specs are top notch. Price is right. And they're definitely comfortable. Or there's the Jackson Pro Series Juggernaut - it's way under budget and you can swap the pickups to something more versatile.

mullet_

Reaction score
I also wouldn't worry too much about "non import". The Jim Root isn't near the quality of the "real" US Fender stuff (e.g. a Fender Professional Strat).
I wasn't aware that Jim Root Strat wasn't near "real" Fender quality or about mediocre bridge. What's your opinion on Mexican Charvel? These guitars are still around 1000 eur and don't come with hard cases like Ibanez Prestige.

I was looking at LTD MH 1000 and the only Korean strat type guitar without EMGs is purple colour. They're all glossed out too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Jim Root Strat wasn't near "real" Fender quality or about mediocre bridge. What's your opinion on Mexican Charvel? These guitars are still around 1000 eur and don't come with hard cases like Ibanez Prestige.

I was looking at LTD MH 1000 and the only Korean strat type guitar without EMGs is purple colour. They're all glossed out too.

All the other Jim Root guitars were made in Mexico, and the Strat is at the same price point I believe.

No experience with Mexican Charvel sorry. But really, country of origin isn't important - it's the amount of oversight and the demands of the parent company.

For example, it's not like Indonesian people inherently can't make guitars as well as Japanese people - but rather, the Japanese company has outsourced to a country with lower wages in order to cut costs. Doing stringent QC, rejecting guitars with minor errors etc, costs money and eats into margins, so it's up to the parent company to decide how stringent to be. With import guitars, margins are smaller to begin with, so they are more likely to be less stringent with QC than they would be with the top-end guitars. Some companies have a great reputation for their cheaper lines - such as ESP (Ltd), PRS (SE). Others are hit and miss, such as the Ibanez Iron Label series, which are not well liked.

Also, hard cases are over-rated IMO. They're big, heavy, and take up tons of space in your house. I have like 10 hard cases filling wardrobes and under beds, and it's annoying. They also don't particularly give more protection against bumps and drops than a good quality soft case. The main advantage is if your guitar is going to be crushed by heavy stuff on top. Plus, you can have one good gig bag and use it for multiple guitars. Hard cases tend to be guitar specific.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I’ve played a handful of Mexi Charvels that were all excellent players. I think the LTD 1000 line is very high quality at its price point. I agree with budda: you need to get out to a store and figure out what kind of specs you really like. Fret size, neck shape, radius, 22-24 fret access etc. all are personal preference, so you can start to narrow down the things that don’t effect you (maybe thin U to med C necks and all in between are perfectly okay for you) vs the deal breakers (maybe you realize that you hate medium fret wire and only get along with jumbo) but these are things only you can determine.

mullet_

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for replying. Currently i'm looking at some LTD models again. I was hoping for some more precise answers but i guess with these things there simply aren't any. Will also check out Solar.

Are chords and bluesier stuff harder to play on Wizard necks?

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Certain people love, or are indifferent to, Wizard necks; some people’s hands cramp up. You won’t know until you try some. In general though, you can play any genre with an Ibanez. The flatter radius helps with bending notes to sound without choking out like they can on guitars with a very round radius.

If you’re very new to guitar playing, then you probably won’t even know what you like or don’t like. You can basically get the coolest looking guitar you can afford. That will keep you playing more. Loving all types of music is great: so maybe look at guitars that have HSH or SSH pickup configurations, and at least a 5 way switch. It’s nice to get single coil tones as well as full humbucker tones from a versatile guitar.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
If you like the look I have to second the mention of the mexican Charvels, they played way beyond their price point in my opinion. I really think this is the best option in that price range if you like the neck shape which is a comfortable C rather than Ibby 2x4 thin.

For a little more the Premium AZ models might be worth looking into, but they also don't have the typically flat necks of most Ibanez. Schecter also has a wide range of models in that price range, some even with stainless frets, and they've expanded past offering solely metal guitars.

And lastly I've been interested in Solar in that price range, it looks metal, but videos prove that it's actually a really versatile guitar when you cut the tone knob a bit, probably thanks in part to alnico magnet pickups.

EDIT: Based on the other posts I don't think I'm providing much in terms of original thoughts here, but honestly it's better than ever before in history to buy a mid range guitar in this price bracket, so many good options.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Out of the 2 guitars you mentioned in your initial post, I would take the 652. I have one so I'm bias, but they are versatile guitars for sure.

Since you are in Europe, i would go ibanez.

mullet_

Reaction score
Out of the 2 guitars you mentioned in your initial post, I would take the 652. I have one so I'm bias, but they are versatile guitars for sure.

Since you are in Europe, i would go ibanez.
Yeah man. Ibanez just checks all the boxes for me except the questionable neck profile and radius, because it's so divisive. Everything else is just perfect for me. Guitar market sucks here, especially in smaller countries.

If you’re very new to guitar playing, then you probably won’t even know what you like or don’t like. You can basically get the coolest looking guitar you can afford.
Also this seems like a good advice. I guess since i'm new i wouldn't even know the subtle differences with various neck profiles. And if it weren't for the internet i'd just get the nicest looking guitar in local store and wouldn't even think about it. Compound radius seems like the best of both words, but sadly it's not available on many guitars.

Another question. MIM Jackson and Charvel are pretty much the same in quality?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, probably made in the same factory.

Honestly, go to your local store(s) and just start playing everything in your budget. You may find something you hadn't considered previously. Also bear in mind that store setups are not always good, which means while a guitar may be a good guitar, it may not be as enjoyable to play as it could be.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Solar A 2.6
Solar-A2.6C-front.png

RG 652 like you listed

Dk 24 HT
2969051574_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

LTD M-403HT
xlarge.png

Pretty sure Agile Epic 625s are satin too
epic625flatblack6.jpg

Bunch of Jackons that are a tiny bit out of budget
SL2P HT
2914252557_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Dk2 Ash
2914106574_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Dk2 MAH
2914106557_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Dude there's never been a better time for plain ass hard tail super strat lovers

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
I'd go with the RG652 without thinking twice. Of course it's all personal preference but Ibanez guitars are among the most comfortable for playability, replace the pickups and you're set.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I own an RG652LWFX and I love it. I’ve even considered buying a 752 to compliment it, just because I know I love the way it plays. That being said, go out and try some guitars. You won’t know what you like until you find it.

mullet_

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch everyone. I read everyone's comments thoroughly multiple times. I'm leaning towards Fender brands (Fender/Jackson/Charvel), compound radius seems like too good to miss. And Ibanez RG652. The thing i dislike about Jackson/Charvel is the fact that after Mexican stuff, they go straight into 3k dollar range for US made stuff. Nothing in the 1000-1500 range.

Jim Root Strat looks like a life long keeper if i was to ever replace those EMGs with something else. There is something so cool about this guitar.

Another guitar that i discovered recently is Schecter KM6. But there is something about it's looks that doesn't inspire me to pick it up and play. On the paper it's really specced out, with SS frets and everything.