Guitar recommendation (1000 USD / 1000 EUR)?

• Thread starter mullet_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Yeah KM6 mk. 2 is good (really good actually because its a normal c1 shape but flat top/ arm contour)

I'd miss the mk. 3 because I've read that WMI is having trouble with build quality issues with the wenge on top of being overworked/booked

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nedheftyfunk

Reaction score
Ibanez just checks all the boxes for me except the questionable neck profile and radius, because it's so divisive. Everything else is just perfect for me.... I guess since i'm new i wouldn't even know the subtle differences with various neck profiles.

Frankly, I think that the difference in neck profiles would be apparent to you if you went to a guitar shop and played a few guitar brands that are known for their distinct shapes. Pretty much all neck profiles have lovers and haters, and you probably will prefer one more than another.

If you did end up liking thin necks, as you're in Europe I'd suggest considering an Ibanez RG550 or RG521, depending on whether you want a trem or not. They're the cheapest Japanese made Ibanez, both are under 1k Euro from, e.g., Thomann, and the latter were discontinued last year so you can get them on blow-out from, e.g., gear4music. They're HSH so should be able to cover your wide musical tastes. One drawback is they do not come with a case, but you can readily pick one up. I have more guitars than time to play them and my RG550 is far from my most expensive guitar, but it's the one that gets the most play.

Whatever you get, I hope you enjoy it.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I have played several MIM Charvels and Jacksons and they have all blown me away, they play just about as good as their $2000 USA stuff.

The thing to remember is, for the Jacksons only the pro series Dinky's are MIM, the pro series soloist are MII (and are okay, but don't play as well as the Dinky's and are a little more of a hit and miss in terms of quality). Also, the Charvel DK24's and the Jackson Dinky's share a common neck profile, a little more thin. More like an Ibanez. The 22 fret Charvels (Pro Mod 1?) have a slightly more beefy neck, more like a Fender.

These are easily the best values on the market right now. I mean, you can get a charvel with ebony, Duncan pickups, a decent tremolo and plays like butter for $900. You just can't find anything to match that. The LTD's are close in terms of stats, but they don't play anywhere close to as good as the charvel or Jackson Dinky's.

armand

Reaction score
Of the OPs two choices, I'd get the Ibanez no question. It's from the Prestige line so the quality is there. From that price range, I'd also look at Solars and PRSi SE. Maybe PRSi S2 if you get lucky on clearance or used sales.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
It sounds like you really want a Charvel so I say go for that. They're a great value. The pro series Juggernaut is also a good option, people seem generally pretty happy with them and they have a very nice middle of the road neck shape.

armand

Reaction score
I just noticed OP wants the guitar to be comfortable. If you can up your budget a bit, Strandberg has a Salen for sale at EUR1288. That or a Standard for EUR1320. If you can get past how it looks, they are the most comfortable ones I've played so far. I have the Boden 8 for reference and it beats any other guitar for now. Like I pick up my other guitars every once in a while because that's what we do. Lol. But I still come back to my Strandberg. So there.

Last edited:

mullet_

Reaction score
I've been browsing this forum and reading about the Prestige line and i've noticed there have been quite a few complaints about sharp frets on Ibanez fretboards and fragile poplar veneers which seems to flake on rubbing!? Some other stuff, like tool marks on fretboards. Judging by these posts, Ibanez QC hasn't been all that great in recent years.

Based on this info would you recommend me just skipping new Ibanez guitars for now?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I've been browsing this forum and reading about the Prestige line and i've noticed there have been quite a few complaints about sharp frets on Ibanez fretboards and fragile poplar veneers which seems to flake on rubbing!? Some other stuff, like tool marks on fretboards. Judging by these posts, Ibanez QC hasn't been all that great in recent years.

Based on this info would you recommend me just skipping new Ibanez guitars for now?
That's not 100% accurate. I think the fret ends are related to maple fret boards, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, people tend to be more vocal about a negative experience vs a positive one...check the Kiesel thread.

I bought my Prestige blind and it was literally flawless. I could not find a single blemish, tool mark or sharp fret. :shrug:

jl-austin

Reaction score

My problem with the prestige line is that is just WAY over priced. They don't play any better than an $849 MIM Charvel.

There will always be QC issues with just about everything manufactured. However, I am more concerned about how a guitar plays than minor blemishes.

mullet_

Reaction score
That's not 100% accurate. I think the fret ends are related to maple fret boards, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, it's related to maple fret boards. The guitar that i like, RG652MPBFX has maple fret board + that apparently sensitive poplar burl prone to flaking and splinters. I honestly don't know how wise it is to buy that guitar. I really like how it looks.

I suspect minor fret issues would be easy to repair by good tech?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Yes, it's related to maple fret boards. The guitar that i like, RG652MPBFX has maple fret board + that apparently sensitive poplar burl prone to flaking and splinters. I honestly don't know how wise it is to buy that guitar. I really like how it looks.

I suspect minor fret issues would be easy to repair by good tech?
I see now.

You could fix the frets if you have the tools. It's a good skill to have.

Also, the guitar I was referring to is 652kfx, so I cannot comment on the burls.

mullet_

Reaction score
I see now.

You could fix the frets if you have the tools. It's a good skill to have.

Also, the guitar I was referring to is 652kfx, so I cannot comment on the burls.
If there are some minor fret problems on an otherwise nice guitar i wouldn't be too bothered by it. But apparently Ibanez has some problems with their burls and tops on all models, Iron Label and even Prestige. Apparently all models with thin satin finish are affected. There have been some reports on this forum. Considering this guitar has both maple fretboard and that questionable top, maybe it's just too much of a hassle?

This is why i'm starting to lean towards Jim Root Strat. It's a really simple guitar, with simple finish. I haven't found many complaints for that model.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
If there are some minor fret problems on an otherwise nice guitar i wouldn't be too bothered by it. But apparently Ibanez has some problems with their burls and tops on all models, Iron Label and even Prestige. Apparently all models with thin satin finish are affected. There have been some reports on this forum. Considering this guitar has both maple fretboard and that questionable top, maybe it's just too much of a hassle?

This is why i'm starting to lean towards Jim Root Strat. It's a really simple guitar, with simple finish. I haven't found many complaints for that model.

I would be more worried/bothered by the top than the frets, but that is just me.

I haven't played the Jim Root guitars (would love to try one), but have a feeling they have nothing in common with a 652 other than being hardtail and start shaped.

mullet_

Reaction score
I would be more worried/bothered by the top than the frets, but that is just me.
Agreed. I even mailed a guy who owns Ibanezrules.com website. He is apparently a reputable Ibanez dealer and his basic answer was that glued on wood is impossible to come off, and that forums are full of misinformations. I dunno what to think now lol XD

And you're right, these two models don't have that much in common. I'm far from being a decent guitar player. It will take lots of time before i can shred. I was basically looking into buying a hassle free superstrat/hot rodded strat guitar type and out of all Charvels, ESP LTD's, Jacksons in this price range, these two guitars are the ones i like the most. I just want something i can learn on for the next, lets say 3-5 years :).

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
@mullet_ I have been playing for 14 years and cannot shred :lol:

I think you just a solid workhorse guitar. Do you need to buy new or are you ok with used?

mullet_

Reaction score
@mullet_ I have been playing for 14 years and cannot shred :lol:

I think you just a solid workhorse guitar. Do you need to buy new or are you ok with used?
Haha. It's never to late to learn, or at least trying XD.

Basically yeah, i'm into simple workhorse guitar that i can learn on. I don't want to buy second hand because second hand markets in smaller countries like mine are consisted of ancient 80s/90s Japanese guitars or newer imports that are priced so highly you may as well buy new :)

I've been agonizing over these two guitars for the last few weeks and i just can't pull the trigger because i like them both lol. I can get that Prestige for 1000 EUR right now which seems like a decent price. Root is 1200 EUR, but i could probably also find it for 1k if i wait for some sales.

I've also noticed there seems to be unusually high amount of complaints for Ibanez on this forum.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Where in the EU are you located?

Also, some of the 80/90s Japanese guitars are the cream of the crop. Don't brush them off just yet.

I bought a 19 year old LTD recently that is literally dead mint and looks unplayed. Don't pass over used if it's something you are interested and it's for a good deal. Anymore, I don't care about looks/condition. I care about tone and play-ability.

mullet_

Reaction score
Where in the EU are you located?
Croatia. Second hand market is really not that great :). No local stuff, so no way of checking out in person which is crucial for buying second hand. Lot's of guitars with tremolo bridges too, i want fixed bridge for simplicity.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Croatia. Second hand market is really not that great :). No local stuff, so no way of checking out in person which is crucial for buying second hand. Lot's of guitars with tremolo bridges too, i want fixed bridge for simplicity.

^these things can make it difficult for sure.