Guitar teacher: video chat using pc screen

• Thread starter LeoLmX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right sub for this subject, that's kind of a weird question and haven't seen someone pulling this off:

I'm teaching guitar online, currently using Google Duo with my phone as my main video chat app. I had this idea of using Guitar Pro to write down the theory parts/scales (stream the computer screen) while flming my guitar or my face with the phone camera on a smaller window, just like what gamers do in Twitch. But I also would also have to see the student in a third window, this shouldn't be a problem for me, the student would be in a second monitor or a smaller window.

So, is it doable or just too fancy for a simple guitar class? Is there an software or app that could do this for me? Thanks!

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Have you tried using Discord? You can share your screen. Do you have an audio interface with more than one input? If it were me I would use a Logitech webcam along with an audio interface where both a lapel mic and room mic (or if available an SM57 directly micing your guitar amp/cab). That's the only idea I've got for ya.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZegumZapata

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely doable to use Guitar Pro to write down theory parts and scales while simultaneously filming your guitar or face using your phone camera on a smaller window. This can be similar to what gamers do on platforms like Twitch. To achieve this, you would need a screen-sharing software or app that can stream your computer screen while also allowing you to have multiple video windows. Some popular screen-sharing and video conferencing tools like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or OBS Studio could fulfill these requirements and allow you to teach guitar online in the desired format.