Guitar World's "Betcha Can't Play This"

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
If you wanna hear some of the worst licks, check out the ones contributed by the In Flames guy, or Dan Spitz from Anthrax. Hell, guys from Lamb Of God and God Forbid contributed riffs, for christ's sake...

Or Dragonforce. Come on, an Amaj7 arpeggio? Not only is it easy to play, theory wise, it's way below just about everything else.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
YouTube - Cellador- Leaving All Behind

Here's a vid of his band. Pretty generic, but not bad for what it is.

The lick wasn't bad. He's got pretty precise chops. What sort of accent was he speaking with, as I couldn't place it?

That kinda reminds me of Nocturnal Rites, minus the awesome leads which are pretty much the only thing that keep me interested, heh...

As for the accent, no idea, I was transfixed by his nail polish.

Im gonna guess french, because, I have a french friend and he sounds exactly like him. My God, this guitarworld mag looks fucking AWESOME! Slash, Satch, Trooch in one mag !

Yeah, Gilbert too, they've really been on a roll lately. Slash has an ongoing column now, which is cool. Unfortunately, Guitar One magazine has been axed, the June issue with Alex Lifeson from Rush on the cover is the last ever issue. Apparently GW is gonna get more pages and adopt some of the columns from G1 and the acoustic GW, but I gotta say it's still quite a letdown.

Or Dragonforce. Come on, an Amaj7 arpeggio? Not only is it easy to play, theory wise, it's way below just about everything else.

I still think Dan Spitz' lick was the worst. The mp3s are gone now, but it was almost incomprehensible, and he was sloppier playing it slowly than he was playing at top speed (it was a Bm pentatonic lick, so nothing terribly difficult). I actually like Dan Spitz, as opposed to Dragonforce, so it was disappointing.

Then again, you can't really take the whole "Betcha Can't Play This" thing too seriously (unless you're watching Broderick's licks, egad).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbucci

Dude..for real?
Reaction score
Most of the BYCPT licks suck, haha. I like the Bill Hudson lick though, same with all of Brodericks licks..the dude is insane.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, Gilbert too, they've really been on a roll lately. Slash has an ongoing column now, which is cool. Unfortunately, Guitar One magazine has been axed, the June issue with Alex Lifeson from Rush on the cover is the last ever issue. Apparently GW is gonna get more pages and adopt some of the columns from G1 and the acoustic GW, but I gotta say it's still quite a letdown.

Seriously?! Fuck me, that sucks! Guitar One's generally the one I buy more than Guitar World!

Gilbucci

Dude..for real?
Reaction score
Same here. That's a real damn shame. GuitarWorld tends to piss me off. I fucken hate seeing Hendrix on the cover of every issue.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, apparently they didn't give the editors any warning, they just pulled the plug, so there won't even be an official "last" issue. The cancelled the CD-ROM only a month before, so over on the GW forums everyone and their dog is bitching about being ripped off, never buying from Future Publishing again, yada yada etc etc.

I personally don't buy a hell of a lot of mags anymore; I know people who buy Guitar World and such so I just borrow theirs and scan the good bits. I try to buy most issues of Guitar Techniques, but my dodgy newsagent tends to miss all the issues I want or stock them so erratically that I never know when they're around and miss them bfore they're pulled off the shelves, oh well.

Gilbucci

Dude..for real?
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks GW is a huge mag full of ads? Seriously.

As for G1, I really liked it, because, it focussed in on genres. As opposed to GW, who gets artists to show you their songs..which for the most part, is crap

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks GW is a huge mag full of ads? Seriously.

As for G1, I really liked it, because, it focussed in on genres. As opposed to GW, who gets artists to show you their songs..which for the most part, is crap

Yeah, there's way too much space devoted to adverts in Guitar World (Guitarist in the UK has the same problem; it's lots of ads and gear but not a lot of actual playing advice). Guitar One struck a really good balance between everything.

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
:( I can't believe it. GuitarOne was the most comprehensive guitar magazine on the market. They had absolutely everything you'd want in a magazine. I tend to avoid GW because it's usually garbage. I'll have to find something else I suppose. :noway:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the licks in the BYCPT thing have been pretty cool. Becker, Cooley, Loomis, and Romeo had the best ones I think. Musical, not to brief, and at least mildly difficult. Cooley's for one absolutely kills me (and I keep banging my wrist into the lower horn of my guitar trying it...), and Romeo's is great with all the speed changes. I just think Loomis's was kinda cool.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I think DragonForce's betcha can't play this should of been just smashing their instruments and quiting forever :metal: lol

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No video for the latest lick yet, but it's from Wayne Findlay, who plays in a band called Slavior, who I've never heard. Apparently he's played in MSG too. He has the lick scanned on his website so here's the tab. He plays a seven, too, which is pretty cool. Enjoy!

jun08152.jpg