Guitars you wish came in 7 strings

• Thread starter Wrecklyss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I prefer longer scale lengths because I can run lighter gauge strings for the same tuning I'd use with a 25.5" scale, and I have bigger hands, so the extra scale length gives me some extra room on the fretboard. Thicker strings definitely make intonating harder depending on how thick they are/ your tuning.

You'd hate me, I keep my gauges the same regardless of scale :lol:

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Not content to get a 7-string MII Iceman of dubious quality, I instead decided to simply have one made to my personal specifications.

Let that be a lesson to all of SSO. If it doesn't exist in the format you want it to have someone make it for you!
I mean I'm building a 7 string death kelly and an 8 string star specifically because nobody makes em lol
you're a monster

Reactions: Vyn

Masoo2

Reaction score
heathen

I'd say an explorer but Vapula has already nailed that design, so I'll echo Winspear and say the Bass VI

Other than Devin Townsend's 28 inch V (which wasn't in production long at all), I can't think of a single other production baritone 7 string that's longer than 27 inches, so having a 30 inch Bass VI 7 would be awesome. Tune that down to like D or below and go to town

Of course though, I'd want it with a hardtail bridge and humbuckers ;)

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
The tuning, too? :p

Yeah, same gauges for a particular tuning (Drop A as an example) across all different scale lengths. I like the changes in tension, feel and tone, they inspire all sorts of different things.

Strtsmthng

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, same gauges for a particular tuning (Drop A as an example) across all different scale lengths. I like the changes in tension, feel and tone, they inspire all sorts of different things.

Interesting. Well, we each like different things :)

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. Well, we each like different things :)

Picked that little gem up from Karl Sanders - he uses the same gauges from 24.75" through to 27.5". His SIT signature set is designed to work with 6 and 7 strings (it's sold as a 7 string set, just throw away the high E string for 6 string setups). I don't follow the same gauges as him however I do follow the philosophy of keeping the gauges the same regardless of scale length.

Marchpip

What?
Reaction score
I guess they figure anyone super serious about it will put in a PS order, and they rather take in the PS than possibly shift folks over to a Core.

I also think that PRS, the person, still sees them, 7 strings, as something of a gimmick.

It took a lot of prodding for them to release the SE 7s, and even then they're mostly token offerings.

I think there's a better chance of an S2 or CE model, something with artist support.

Which would totally satisfy my needs. S2, as long as they do not put one of those pickguards on it. CE, as long as they bring back be bevels of the regular core models. And both still would be in a reachable price range.

mbardu

Reaction score
Not content to get a 7-string MII Iceman of dubious quality, I instead decided to simply have one made to my personal specifications.

Let that be a lesson to all of SSO. If it doesn't exist in the format you want it to have someone make it for you!

Well SSO is living proof that this doesn't always ends well...far from it.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ESP would make you a custom 7 of this right? Though i'm sure the price would be through the roof.

True and true. Kamikaze camo is neat for nostalgia factor, although would also be just as cool as a star with reverse headstock, but in a Stef 7 pickup and color config. :yum:

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A Mosrite ventures 7 ... yes with a bigsby. 25.5 scale and P90's of course and why not a zero fret too.

jco5055

Reaction score
I prefer longer scale lengths because I can run lighter gauge strings for the same tuning I'd use with a 25.5" scale, and I have bigger hands, so the extra scale length gives me some extra room on the fretboard. Thicker strings definitely make intonating harder depending on how thick they are/ your tuning.

I have large hands too, but I find myself liking 25.5" the most because then I can do ridiculous Holdsworth or Gilbert-esque stretches haha...give me a 27" scale and I'm pretty much a person with normal hands then or just slightly bigger.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I have large hands too, but I find myself liking 25.5" the most because then I can do ridiculous Holdsworth or Gilbert-esque stretches haha...give me a 27" scale and I'm pretty much a person with normal hands then or just slightly bigger.
I can do 1-6th fret stretches on a 28.6" baritone reliably lol. On my 25.5" scale guitars I can go to the 7th fret, or go from 5th-12th so I know what you mean about the giant Holdsworth/Gilbert stretches. It's less about having extra lower fret room for me and more about having extra upper fret room. I have a hard time reliably hitting notes above the 18th fret on 25.5" scale guitars since the upper frets are usually pretty crammed together.