Gym-less workouts?

• Thread starter Basti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
^^^ Looks great!

One thing you do have to watch for with a program like that is neuro-fatigue, as in just wearing out.
All that bodyweight kind of stuff can really require a high number of reps and time under tension (I say time under load just because TUL sounds better than TUT, unless you put KING in front of it).

Rock climbing must already put much stress on the wrist and hands, so if you do it often I'd think you wouldn't want to overwork them, although if you can't climb real often then it would be good to keep yourself strong with good strength-endurance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Working out at home is nice and easy. But are there really no affordable gyms over there? You can get a membership here for 10$ a month

JUST $10 A MONTH?!?!?!
I live in BC and in this town I've paid $65 for a one month pass.
A 3 month pass is also $140. The only advantage I have is the Complex is less than a 5 minute walk away.

I like this thread. I can learn a few things. Thanks for starting it!

Vrollin

Reaction score
Couple of my favs include,

Death by burpees - Every minute start a new set, start at one, increase by one each minute, (first minute one burpee, second min 2 burpees, 3rd three and so on) will ruin you quick, doesnt seem like much on paper, but give it a go! My best so far is 12 minutes, didnt even start the 13th set.

Also find yourself a sporting ground, divide it into quarters or 8ths, and pick 4 or 8 exercises, run around and at each point do 25 or an exercise untill you have done 100 of each exercize. So that will get you 4 laps plus 100 reps of 4-8 exercises. Good stuff and best of all free!

theycallmetc

Reaction score
Rock climbing must already put much stress on the wrist and hands, so if you do it often I'd think you wouldn't want to overwork them, although if you can't climb real often then it would be good to keep yourself strong with good strength-endurance.

I'm only a month in this routine of sorts and what's really worked for me is sleeping well and doing all my bar work as far from my climbing days as possible. So on or around climbing days I'm only doing lower body stuff or core work that doesn't involve me hanging. Of course climbing uses legs and core a lot, but doing some squats won't kill my bouldering as much as doing pull ups will.

I'm trying not to climb too much as well because before this year I hadn't taken it seriously (would only go once every couple of months) and even though muscles adapt quickly, tendons and ligaments don't. As I can start climbing more and more I'll cut down on the calisthenics and/or cardio! Gotta take care of those hands, can't play guitar otherwise!

dudeskin

Reaction score
Get yourself over to madbarz.com dude. All the info you need.
Bodyweight workouts can easily be low reps for by doing different difficulties of moves.
Eg, push-ups turn into endurance quite early on so then you mix it up with something like diamond push-ups or inclined to up the difficulty meaning you gain more strength and mass rather than building staying power.
Explosives are great too.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Get yourself over to madbarz.com dude. All the info you need.
Bodyweight workouts can easily be low reps for by doing different difficulties of moves.
Eg, push-ups turn into endurance quite early on so then you mix it up with something like diamond push-ups or inclined to up the difficulty meaning you gain more strength and mass rather than building staying power.
Explosives are great too.

Yes. Good ideas.

Using a backpack with small weights can really amp up moves like pullups and dips.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
HASfit Free Workouts on Demand - Best Exercise Routines - Diet Plans - Fitness Plans At Home or In Gym for Men and Women Work Out

Came across this website recently when looking for some cardio workouts.

Their youtube channel has tons upon tons of useful vids. And they have completely free 30 day plans and what not. They cover all types of exercise from strength training, cardio, and body weight training to body building, powerlifting, etc. They also cover nutrition and stuff. Super informative and very geared towards regular, everyday people rather than being overly technical and complicated.

Check it out, yo.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Cheers guys, some really helpful stuff here. Also grateful not to have been pelted with "just find a gym fggt"

Came across this by the way. For someone as inactive as I've been this is quite intense

kW3CkZ5.jpg

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Push ups are becoming my nightmare.
As I can do around 200 crunches in 5 series with 90-120 seconds of rest between series, I can't get to go past 50-60 push-ups, with max 20 push-ups in a row.
I followed the same plan I used to bring the crunches up to 200 in 5 weeks, and my abs are becoming well ripped, still with push-ups it's not working.
Sometimes it just seem I get worse.
It's really bumming me out.
I see the shoulders, pectoral and arms getting more rip, but it seems like there's not enough strength, and more than that, my wrists ache a lot, which makes me quite unease, as I'm scared it will harm and affect my guitar playing...and between ripped body and guitar playing I do really prefer playing.
Still...bummed a lot.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Advocare's CU24 DVD, only 24 minutes long.CU24™

Lots of squats, pushups, and overall calisthenics. Low impact, no equipment needed.

2 discs with 3 workouts each. We do disc 1, Melt-1, Shred-1, Sculpt-1 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then disc 2, Melt-2, Shred-2, Sculpt-3 on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, rest on Sunday.

It's helped me, along with cutting sugar & flour, trim off 15 lbs, get stronger, sleep better, overall more strengthened, and this is the best I've felt at 49 years old, after breaking my back & severely straining my neck in 1989.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I see the shoulders, pectoral and arms getting more rip, but it seems like there's not enough strength, and more than that, my wrists ache a lot, which makes me quite unease, as I'm scared it will harm and affect my guitar playing...and between ripped body and guitar playing I do really prefer playing.
Still...bummed a lot.

Get off the ground my friend.
Go to a playground or exercise park if in your area that has parallel bars.

parallel-bar.gif

Something like that. Of course, if you don't have a park near you, you can just buy some or make your own if you have the skills and tools.
You can keep your wrists quite straight on the bars and as an added bonus, the neutral grip is also much easier on the shoulders and elbows.
Make sure to tuck your elbows in as you descend to reduce the strain on the elbows and shoulders.
This is how I do my all pushups these days. As a guitarist, you will find your wrists will really begin to thank when you stop putting all that unnecessary pressure on them.

Also, instead of just adding more reps, add more weight (investing in a weight vest is a good idea) if you really want to build strength. Alternate between bodyweight and weighted, for e.g, one day a week do bodyweight and 2-3 days later, do weighted, as you may find doing only weighted pushups will significantly eat into your ability to recover well.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I have a playground right by me but there's a pair of shoes dangling on a telephone pole so yeah, maybe not...

Caved in and subscribed to the uni gym because the fact that I'm paying for it is motivation enough :lol:

troyguitar

Reaction score
I do pushups on my fists to avoid hurting my wrists. Works pretty well IMO but I'm probably the weakest person here since I don't do very many of them.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Past Saturday I was able to do 5 series, 16, 17, 14, 14, 20 reps with 120 seconds of rest between them.
This Monday I could barely do 4 series 14, 14, 10, 10 reps with 60 seconds of rest between...that was something I could do past Monday...so...derp. :(
So I decided to take a week of rest but I felt that my chest and pectorals have strengthened.

The same program, which you can find at http://www.hundredpushups.com/ applied to crunches brought me to the end of week 5 with 8 series of crunches, 20, 20, 24, 24, 20, 20, 22, 50 reps with 45 seconds of rest between them.

So in 5 weeks I was able to proceed accordingly to the program with crunches, but I was only able to "beat" week 1 of push-ups.

Skyblue

Reaction score
I have this link as a bookmark on my computer for times when I just want to do a quick workout at home.

100 No Equipment Workouts:
100 no-equipment workouts - Imgur

Question to you all- How do I know which workout to pick? (not necessarily from that link, though it definitely looks useful)

I'm aiming towards getting in shape, not really getting buff or anything- but just getting toned up and all. All these exercises look great but I'm totally lost as to which one should I pick.
Also, how many days a week should one workout? Every day? Day on day off?

Any help would be appreciated.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Question to you all- How do I know which workout to pick? (not necessarily from that link, though it definitely looks useful)

I'm aiming towards getting in shape, not really getting buff or anything- but just getting toned up and all. All these exercises look great but I'm totally lost as to which one should I pick.
Also, how many days a week should one workout? Every day? Day on day off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Look, I did the first one, the one with 10 exercises (starting with high knees and jumping jacks) 1 minute of rep, than 1 minute of rest...
Point is, after a 20-ish of minutes I collapsed and was about to faint, true story and not joking at all, I had to get a hot shower, lay on the floor for half an hour and could get back to breathing properly.
That's ABSOLUTELY something NOT for n00bs.
I don't recommend them at all if you aren't in a GREAT ATHLETIC shape already.

matt till

Audio Mangler
Reaction score
That's ABSOLUTELY something NOT for n00bs.
I don't recommend them at all if you aren't in a GREAT ATHLETIC shape already.

hm... thinking maybe cutting each exercise by half or so (30 seconds) and keeping the 1 minute rest may work? I never worked out myself in my life other than middle school physical education:lol:

I downloaded the .pdf. Stress last year and this year so far resulted in weight loss and since I'm not active and skating like I was in high school I need to find something to get me going again.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
hm... thinking maybe cutting each exercise by half or so (30 seconds) and keeping the 1 minute rest may work? I never worked out myself in my life other than middle school physical education:lol:

I tried that too and I'm not still ready after almost 3 months of daily workouts.