Had My Dark Terror Modded

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Sent my Dark Terror off to Kruze Kontrol to get modded.
He did his signature "terror" mod, added a second set of foot switchable Volume/Gain controls, and upgraded the output transformer to a Mercury.

The Terror Mod adds a 3 position switch to the back. 1 position is the stock amp, 2nd position is brighter, 3rd position is MUCH brighter.

Overall I'm very happy, especially with the extra channel added now. Sort of a cool bonus is the potentiometer for gain on the second channel is more gradual so its a tiny bit better at dialing in crunch tones.

owlexifry

Reaction score
Sent my Dark Terror off to Kruze Kontrol to get modded.
He did his signature "terror" mod, added a second set of foot switchable Volume/Gain controls, and upgraded the output transformer to a Mercury.

The Terror Mod adds a 3 position switch to the back. 1 position is the stock amp, 2nd position is brighter, 3rd position is MUCH brighter.

Overall I'm very happy, especially with the extra channel added now. Sort of a cool bonus is the potentiometer for gain on the second channel is more gradual so its a tiny bit better at dialing in crunch tones.
before the mods, was it still heaps dark & woolly when boosted with a TS or otherwise?

Bearitone

Reaction score
before the mods, was it still heaps dark & woolly when boosted with a TS or otherwise?
Not at all. I got the “terror mod” for shits and still prefer the stock tone. Boosted with a TS it sounds great. The only gripe I have left is the fizzy high end. It’s like an unseen presence knob is dialed a bit too high. If this thing had a presence knob I would have zero complaints.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Not at all. I got the “terror mod” for shits and still prefer the stock tone. Boosted with a TS it sounds great. The only gripe I have left is the fizzy high end. It’s like an unseen presence knob is dialed a bit too high. If this thing had a presence knob I would have zero complaints.
Would it be possible to put a 10 band in the loop and eq it out?

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
The dual dark has that fizziness (or buzziness type sound) too. It has an almost artificial sound to it that I have not heard in another amp. It sounds like you would probably like something in the rockerverb series more than the stuff from the dark series though. Have you tried the Jim Root Terror? Thats mostly based off a rockerverb right?

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Would it be possible to put a 10 band in the loop and eq it out?
Yeah or maybe an EQ pedal with a low pass. There don't seem to be that many around though. The Tech21 Q Strip has one and looks interesting overall.

A LP might even be something you could build. Hmmm.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Yeah or maybe an EQ pedal with a low pass. There don't seem to be that many around though. The Tech21 Q Strip has one and looks interesting overall.

A LP might even be something you could build. Hmmm.
Honestly that would be cool. I would love a EQ with just high and low shelf filters and a 1 band of parametric in the middle.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly that would be cool. I would love a EQ with just high and low shelf filters and a 1 band of parametric in the middle.
I have a 1985 rack mount Yamaha 31 band EQ that kicks ass for removing unwanted or overbearing frequencies. Some EQ pedals are super noisy but this Yamaha rack is whisper quiet, can usually pick them up cheap because people don't give a shit about rack mount these days. 👍

Elric

Reaction score
I think I'd rather just get an amp I actually like the sound of rather than going to all the trouble of modding, boosting, EQing, a little cheapo lunchbox amp just to get it where I want it.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I think I'd rather just get an amp I actually like the sound of rather than going to all the trouble of modding, boosting, EQing, a little cheapo lunchbox amp just to get it where I want it.
Valid opinion. I have been gassing for a mini invective

Last edited:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
An orange terror with a tiny mode and a dark mode, 3 band EQ, and a 5153 spec resonance and presence set up would be nearly a perfect amp for me.

Bearitone

Reaction score
An orange terror with a tiny mode and a dark mode, 3 band EQ, and a 5153 spec resonance and presence set up would be nearly a perfect amp for me.
Can’t tell if you’re being facetious but, bro I agree 100%:lol:

Love the orange sound. Something special about it but, maybe there’s something I don’t like about it because I keep trying to make them work and keep ultimately being unhappy.

Even after modding it I think some of the “terror mod” is bleeding into the original circuit because I swear the amp is brighter than it was before sending it off.

Super frustrating.

I keep doing this with my entire rig. Simplify, then slowly begin to complicate until I can’t stand it and simplify again.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I a
Can’t tell if you’re being facetious but, bro I agree 100%:lol:

Love the orange sound. Something special about it but, maybe there’s something I don’t like about it because I keep trying to make them work and keep ultimately being unhappy.

Even after modding it I think some of the “terror mod” is bleeding into the original circuit because I swear the amp is brighter than it was before sending it off.

Super frustrating.

I keep doing this with my entire rig. Simplify, then slowly begin to complicate until I can’t stand it and simplify again.
I am being 100% serious. And it would probably sell like hotcakes.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Digging this, interesting that you still prefer the stock tone.

I replaced my Dual Dark with an OR15, and love it. Nothing wrong with the DD, but didn’t need a 50w amp in my truck. OR15 slays for quieter sludge stuff.

Dunno if it’d work for you but they’re relatively cheap, I got mine for $350 shipped. It’s based on a Rockerverb and sounds/feels like it.

Maybe try that one next?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Valid opinion. I have been gassing for a mini invective
I love mine. The gate and boost are just buttons, rather than pots, but they chose a really good setting for them. I call it my little djent box, because with those engaged it gives a really nice, tight, dry, clanky tone. Which, admittedly is the opposite of the Orange tone. But, check out Guitarjon's video (sonic drive studios) and Kyle Bull's video.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I love mine. The gate and boost are just buttons, rather than pots, but they chose a really good setting for them. I call it my little djent box, because with those engaged it gives a really nice, tight, dry, clanky tone. Which, admittedly is the opposite of the Orange tone. But, check out Guitarjon's video (sonic drive studios) and Kyle Bull's video.
Will do! I actually boost the living shit out of my DT to get djenty modern tones so it’s probably right up my alley.

What actually interests me the most about the invective mini is the clean channel. I like big bassy clean tones. My favorite clean tones have come from bass combos.

How would you say the clean is on the mini invective?

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
The dual dark has that fizziness (or buzziness type sound) too. It has an almost artificial sound to it that I have not heard in another amp. It sounds like you would probably like something in the rockerverb series more than the stuff from the dark series though. Have you tried the Jim Root Terror? Thats mostly based off a rockerverb right?

I have a JR Terror and Invective MH, they definitely do different things, but they do them well. The JR Terror is really flexible for a single channel amp, with the gain down there’s a bit of grit in the clean tone, and with the gain up it gets nice and thick. A boost in front and it starts getting it to a modern metal tone with good note definition, without going overboard into djent land. Overall it has a good full, round sound, the three-band EQ really helps. If the brightness of the Dark Terror gets to you, then I’d recommend keeping an eye out for a JR Terror, I have to nearly dime the treble to have it cut through to my liking and fizz never comes through when playing with V30s.

The Invective MH as @Hollowway says is pretty tight naturally, I love it for thrash and tech-ier playing. The gate is good, and while the boost isn’t THE best and I personally prefer an SD-1 instead, it’s really nice having both them built in so you don’t need any external pedals if jamming or playing out.

Will do! I actually boost the living shit out of my DT to get djenty modern tones so it’s probably right up my alley.

What actually interests me the most about the invective mini is the clean channel. I like big bassy clean tones. My favorite clean tones have come from bass combos.

Clean for me is really bassy, I like to turn it down below noon a bit. Very sterile and clean. If you like boomy cleans then it might hit your mark.

Tempted to get a Dark Terror sometime, the fizziness described is something I like sometimes and it seems recommended for doom/sludge nasty tones.

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

I’m not much of a clean guy these days, but I’d agree with @PuckishGuitar.

Hey @Guitarjon, what was your sense of the Invective MH? You’ve always been able to get killer tones out of your amps, so I figured I’d tag you here. (I bought ăn Invective MH due to your video, maybe Bearitone will too!)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I’m not much of a clean guy these days, but I’d agree with @PuckishGuitar.

Hey @Guitarjon, what was your sense of the Invective MH? You’ve always been able to get killer tones out of your amps, so I figured I’d tag you here. (I bought ăn Invective MH due to your video, maybe Bearitone will too!)

I love that little amp! It's not super loud obviously but it sounds crushing for a lunchbox amp IMHO!