Handy scale website

XxXPete

Reaction score
Wow great thread.First time see.Neat how the one site charts out 7 string..3 nps scales..GENIUS!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lord_Elixer

I am weasel!
Reaction score
Edit :- after re-reading, I noticed my suggestion had already been posted... my apologies.

The McThief

The Boss Man
Reaction score

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
This looks really useful, but I have no idea how to...read it per say. Can someone help me out? It just looks like a bunch of dots all over the fretboard :(

Music theory noob ftl :(

gtrscales.jpg

Looking at this site, I don't think that their scale dictionary is very... well, very good. Mostly because the names they are using are not what people typically refer to these scales as (as far as I know), or are pretty obscure. Examples:

Whole - they mean "whole tone"

Whole diminished - they mean "whole tone diminished"

Pentatonic neutral - never heard of it, it's apparently a mixolydian or natural minor scale without a third or sixth.

Half diminished - they mean half/whole diminished, or octatonic, which is alternating half steps and whole steps (i.e. T H W H W H W H [W to tonic]), numerically represented as 1 b2 b3 3 #4 5 6 b7. This is confusing, because there is a half-diminished chord, 1 b3 b5 b7, and nobody says "half diminished scale". If they did, I'd think "locrian mode".

Whole diminished - same deal, they mean whole/half diminished, or octatonic. This is the other mode of the scale presented above. There is a "fully diminished" chord, 1 b3 b5 bb7, so it sounds like some sort of interchange of terminology, as above.

Lydian minor - this one doesn't have a minor third, why call it minor at all? 1 2 3 #4 5 b6 b7 is an interesting scale formula, though. This is a mode of neapolitan major (which doesn't have a major third, ironically), if you want to know.

Nine-tone scale? Which one?

Auxilliary diminished blues - :rofl: *

* See my sig.

There are other bullshit scales/names here. I'm actually really dissatisfied with a lot of the scales resources that guitarists have to deal with.

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
and here is a version for everyone with more than six strings...

GuitarScales.nl - Guitar Scale Dictionary, scales, guitar, guitarra, gitar, gitarra

i use this little tool quite often - and find it helpful...

have fun

I don't know if anyone else is seeing this but I'm getting a big "Ads by google" box at the very far left hand side. So basically I can't see the first fret at all. Which really pisses me off because I've been looking for a 7 string drop G scale website all effin morning.

:mad:"Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu Google!!!!!!":fawk:

Mettle209

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am loving all of the wonderful resources cited/linked in this thread discussion. I have been teaching "Begining Guitar" at my church for a year and a half now and all of this will come in handy.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I don't know if anyone else is seeing this but I'm getting a big "Ads by google" box at the very far left hand side. So basically I can't see the first fret at all. Which really pisses me off because I've been looking for a 7 string drop G scale website all effin morning.

:mad:"Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu Google!!!!!!":fawk:

I know I'm arriving late to the party, but I ran into this as well.

I took a quick look at the page's source code, found the SWF file being run, and just went there direclty:

http://www.rozengain.com/guitar-scales/GuitarScalesWeb.swf

Cheers!