Hardest solo?

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhew

Reaction score
I wanna be sedated by the Ramones. Seriously, I'm not good at solos.

Doh! Remones hehe. I am seriously jealous of you guys that can take on technical solos. Kudos.

Now was that 64 or 65 E-0's? Hmm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Addison90

Reaction score
mr.big - colorado bulldog (intro solo)
dream theater - the shattered fortress
born of osiris - follow the signs, behold
blotted science - brain fingerprinting

allan holdsworth, guhtrie govan and frank gambale solos are unplayable for me :nuts:

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
all that remains 2 weeks. used to be into this band hardcore back in the day until i realized all their songs sound the same..... :scream::scream:

edit: the extended solo, not the radio edit one.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
The hardest one I know how to play is Dream Theater's "The Dark Eternal Night." Goddamnit that song is HARD. I got the entire song down pretty well, except for the solo. I can play it and follow it with the song, but there are many things I just can't get right. The very last super fast run is just waaaayy too fast for me to play properly. I've been meaning to record a cover of it for the longest time, but I always give up because I don't want to butcher the solo :lol:.

Another solo I know is DT's "Fatal Tragedy." Again, just too fast at some points. I have a YouTube cover of the song, but it's so sloppy. I think I actually set the video as private a while ago because I was so unhappy with that take.

The hardest that I can actually nail is probably BTBAM's "Selkies: The Endless Obsession," of which I also made a YouTube cover (though it is not the best take).

I haven't been able to really improve on my speed on the last couple of years, so I've really just stopped trying to develop it. I've been focusing on improving rhythm, accuracy, and vibrato/bending since a long time ago (whenever I do practice... which isn't often nowadays, sadly).

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Ive recently learned follow the signs and dissimulation by born of osiris, as well as the arpeggios to altitudes by jason becker. i learned alot of the faceless leads/ solos by ear. i wanna really learn fermented offal discharge by necrophagist, devatstate by born of osiris (but the alternate picking is just sooooo nuts) and altitudes by becker, and maybe the intro (good luck to me on the whole song) of miles of machines by jeff loomis.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
There are some pretty hard ones by Petrucci that I've been trying to learn. Also many melodies by Steve Vai seem simplistic but are sooooo hard to play, just try playing the lead part to The Story of Light, the phrasing is the bane of my existence, I've even seen a video where Vai is like yeah it's like almost impossible to play for me. I'm guessing it was many takes in the studio and many "vai" practice hours haha.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Breeze by Bulb, holy shit that thing made me suffer mentally and phisically, :lol:, was a nice way to see my progress with leads and specially tapping though, took my about a year to learn (dropping it, and relearning it, everytime with better results)

and right now Im trying to learn Hell's Kitchen by Dream Theater, the song is basically a long, well-structured solo, but Im currently struggling with the unison (fucking open strings) and a transition from Sweep to alternate

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Follow the Signs by Born of Osiris is all kinds of what the fuckery. Those sweeps run like water.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
This one of them... Hardly anyone get's even close to pulling it off like Marty.

(2:30, Satriani himself even has to sit down to pull this one off).

(Eve of Seduction)

Shawn Lane & Allan Holdsworth are pretty much a given... For me at least.
I've hardly heard anyone do a take on either of their techniques and do it proficiently.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I used to be able to play a bit of Necrophagist's "Fermented Offal Discharge" before it got really crazy. Given that I have not really played guitar seriously in about 5 years, I wouldn't even know where to start with it now.

Must...regain...and surpass...former ability! Hnnnng!

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
all that remains 2 weeks. used to be into this band hardcore back in the day until i realized all their songs sound the same..... :scream::scream:

edit: the extended solo, not the radio edit one.

Oli Herbert writes some fucking difficult stuff - no wonder he can't play it properly live :lol:

Anyway, a little selection of the stuff I've found particularly difficult - 2:30:

1:50:

Fucking anything by this guy:

2:40:

This:

Most things by my guitar teacher, Ben from Rise To Remain - example at 1:50 or so:

Latest posts