Has anyone gotten a chance to read the James Hetfield book "Messengers"?

• Thread starter Franko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
Got the book when it came out but haven't looked at it yet. Pickup swaps don't bother me. He owns the guitars - he can do what he wants with them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
No, it doesn’t make me rage at all. It’s his guitars and he can do as he pleases.

If it pisses you off so bad, save up and try and buy them from him.

Gatekeeping James Hetfield’s personal preference is incredibly weird.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr.
Reaction score
James was ten when I was birthed. Something tells me mom's hatred of tomallica is not because Papa Het papa'ed me and ran. Unless time travel is involved, which I wouldn't put past him. The sneaky fucker.
Ten Year Old Het was making house calls to MILFs up and down the coast.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Is there anything unique or never before seen in the book?

There's just so much already out there about his guitars that I'm not sure if I'm down to pay (insert arbitrary amount) for a coffee table book on them.

It'd be cool to have, yeah, but I'd like to know what all is inside before paying.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I pre-orderd it and received it in the middle of November. I absolutely love it. Really cool stories of some of his guitars and some cool photos of them being used throughout the years. Some interesting notes by his techs and some collector friends of his in there too. If I recall he has 5 different original 59 Les Pauls which is absurd. One of them he scratched some skull in the back with his name or the Metallica logo or something. I think that's cooler than him keeping it 100% unmolested. It's HIS guitar, HE can do what HE wants to it. His guitars are tools for the music he creates. I mean it would suck if he decided to smash one but just personalizing it or swapping parts doesn't bother me one bit.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Is there anything unique or never before seen in the book?

There's just so much already out there about his guitars that I'm not sure if I'm down to pay (insert arbitrary amount) for a coffee table book on them.

It'd be cool to have, yeah, but I'd like to know what all is inside before paying.
I don't know about "never before seen" but there's plenty of stories or info that's probably never been talked about before. Like for certain guitars they will say what mod's were done and at what point in time. And there are stories of how James acquired certain guitars or what his inspiration was for doing a particular modification. Also some notes tell you what songs it was used on and stuff like that. I think I paid $80 or so for the book. Money well spent to me although it is cheaper now if you were to buy one. It's over 400 pages so well worth it for a Hetfield/Metallica fan.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
As for the actual subject, I don't much care what musicians do to guitars that they'll actually use to play music.

I feel a little weirded out by going through the national music museum, not far from me, where there are hundreds and hundreds of instruments displayed that will never be made to make music again. It's like walking through a graveyard where the corpses are displayed out in the open. Just a weird vibe for a music guy. But that's literally the only time I've had an emotional response at all to instruments being bought, used, modified, or displayed.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
You know you have a great life if you can find time to bitch about what someone like Hetfield does with his own property.
Yeah, we have a whole thread for stuff like this lol

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Papa Het can do whatever the f he wants. The man has earned it.

Right? I can't believe this is even up for debate.

How many people out there do you suppose have picked up guitar and wanted the sound that James Hetfield has? The answer is a fuckton. That sound has been sought after by so many it's ridiculous. Hell, it might even be the most popular metal guitar sound.

I know it's trendy to hate on EMGs and all, but James is clearly one of the last people with a tone problem. Dude can play whatever he wants, in whatever he wants.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I totalt understand him. I've change pickups on all Gibsons I've owned, and will continue doing it. Tried Dirty Fingers, different Burstbuckers, 500T, 57 Classic. The only pair I likes was the 498T, that many Gibson players hate 😄

For the price I sold the 57 Classics and DF I bought two pairs of used BKP.

I'm also pretty sure that the value of an expensive guitar wont be less after his ownership, no matter what he does to it.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
I do want to pick this book up though. Big daddy Het is by far the biggest pillar in the foundation that is my musical journey.

Shit - when I first started playing, I thought downpicking was the only way to play lol. A couple years later it dawned on me.. “wait, I don’t HAVE to downpick everything!?”

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I do want to pick this book up though. Big daddy Het is by far the biggest pillar in the foundation that is my musical journey.

Shit - when I first started playing, I thought downpicking was the only way to play lol. A couple years later it dawned on me.. “wait, I don’t HAVE to downpick everything!?”
You don't have to, but if you play the main riff of Master of Puppets without downpicking the whole thing, Hetfield fans will riot.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EMG= known quantity with their rigs at the time. That’s important when you tour as much as they do.

I have the book, it’s very cool. I want more info on his early white Gibson explorer (I think”so what”.) he either traded away or sold (for a truck I’ve heard?) . If you watch his unboxing vid of the book, he glosses over needing to “get that guitar back”... I gotsta know!

Marked Man

Reaction score
He puts EMG's in all his guitars.
Literally every single one, either has his Het Set or an 81/60 combo.
EVERY SINGLE ONE.
He's a multi millionaire. He will buy a vintage Les Paul for an absurd amount of money.
The first thing he does? Slaps some EMG's in that bad boy.

Does this make anyone on here rage? Just curious..

No, Lars and Kirk wearing eyeliner in the mid 90s made me smirk, though.