Has Anyone Seen This Washburn Dime Guitar? (Pics)

neon_black88

Reaction score
I don't need a Floyd to get his tone though.

Thats arguable!

But its cool I understand what your saying. I've always actually found his tone really unique and hard to copy, I have a theory that the tuning quarter of a step down thing might have a little to do with it not many other people do that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMetalSins

Converted 8 Stringer
Reaction score
Thats arguable!

But its cool I understand what your saying. I've always actually found his tone really unique and hard to copy, I have a theory that the tuning quarter of a step down thing might have a little to do with it not many other people do that.

Yeah, tunning a Quarter step down doesn't sound like it will do much, but I think it makes a huge difference in tone and feel in my opinion. And his Bill Lawrence XL500, DR Strings, string gauge, and his Randall heads gave him a real edgy in your face tone. I think I get a fairly close Dime tone when I play through my rig when it's EQ'd right for this guitar. Another problem I have with trem's is when I play, I dig hard with the pick and I hit the bridge with my palm when I palm mute, and with a Floyd, you can tell every time I hit the bridge cause it causes the Floyd to pull back and raise the pitch. I feel like I can dig harder with a non trem bridge, and it feels more natural to me. And it's sucha pain to take care of, Re-string, Tune, etc etc. And I never use the tremelo, so I try and stay away from Trem's. Maybe when I get better technique with my picking hand, they wont bother me, but until then I stay away from them. Well that was a mouth full...

shupe13

Reaction score
Bill Lawerance has a shop in Corona, CA. You can contact him through his web site.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
whats with you guys getting dimebag sigs with out floyd? :lol: i used to own a dimeslime 333, it was a pretty bad ass guitar

BlackMetalSins

Converted 8 Stringer
Reaction score
whats with you guys getting dimebag sigs with out floyd? :lol: i used to own a dimeslime 333, it was a pretty bad ass guitar

It was hanging on Sam Ash's show room floor, the finish was screaming for me, and I was impatient to wait for the Floyd one to get in stock. Thats my excuse. Now that I think on it, I wish I had this guitar with a Floyd, only cause it's a Dime. Damn my impatient self.

Thanks.

DaemonSvek

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Jackson Dinky with a Floyd in, and I loved it for some time. Doing all the Dime squeals, and flutter effects where fun. But restringing and tuning the damned thing is ridiculous and not worth it. And you can't change tunings whenever, like you can with a Fixed Bridge. So I try and stay away from Floyd Rose equipped guitars. They also don't feel as solid as Fixed Bridge guitars do, I feel like if I can dig harder with a Fixed Bridge than with a Floating Tremelo. Just my opinion though.

it's obvious from what you said you haven't had enough experience with one. Obviously you've not much experience with a real Original Floyd Rose tremolo. if you know what you're doing and the actual technical and physical way the bridge works it's really not that complicated at all, it takes maybe 5-10 extra minutes. i play in drop tunings all the time with my ESP M-II, i change strings monthly at least, no probs ever. with it set up right and a good guitar you really have nothing to worry about. as far as solidity goes, i could gig three days and beat the fuck out the M-II will stay in tune longer than any hardtail competitor and still ask for more. there is no bridge better than an Original Floyd Rose IMO, with the added things/fun! you can do the added 5-10 minutes of work seems like NO CHORE AT ALL!!!!!

Floyd Rose = :yesway: IMO

LOW PRICE RIP OFFS ARE A BITCH THOUGH! BUY ONCE CRY ONCE!!!!

Yeah, ever since Dime's death, people (Mostly Dean) have been using his name for sales, they make a shit guitar and put Dime's name on it, and people will buy it. I'm getting ashamed to say that Dimebag was the one who made me pick up a guitar, because of all the Dime stuff on the market. It's a shame they are using his death as a gain like this.

+10000000

when i met Darrel i was too young to really get to know him but i'm sure he'd be disappointed, though i am glad of all the tribute stuff...seemed no one gave a damn about Quothorn from Bathory or Chuck from Death...seems it takes violence once more to wake the world

Sebastian

Reaction score

Well... the main reason is.. because they are cheap

But a floyd would really add so much more awesomness :yesway:

BlackMetalSins

Converted 8 Stringer
Reaction score
it's obvious from what you said you haven't had enough experience with one. Obviously you've not much experience with a real Original Floyd Rose tremolo. if you know what you're doing and the actual technical and physical way the bridge works it's really not that complicated at all, it takes maybe 5-10 extra minutes. i play in drop tunings all the time with my ESP M-II, i change strings monthly at least, no probs ever. with it set up right and a good guitar you really have nothing to worry about. as far as solidity goes, i could gig three days and beat the fuck out the M-II will stay in tune longer than any hardtail competitor and still ask for more. there is no bridge better than an Original Floyd Rose IMO, with the added things/fun! you can do the added 5-10 minutes of work seems like NO CHORE AT ALL!!!!!

Floyd Rose = :yesway: IMO

LOW PRICE RIP OFFS ARE A BITCH THOUGH! BUY ONCE CRY ONCE!!!!

I have experience with them, and I have the one in my Jackson set up the proper way. I just don't like the feel when you palm mute, it feels like you aren't getting a hard hit, it might be because my string gauge isn't as thick as I'm use to, I use 9's to 50's on all my other guitars, and my Jackson thats Floyded has 9's to 46. Maybe I should put 9's to 50's on the Floyd and see if that helps the feel. But, re stringing it isn't as bad as I make it out to be I just hate snipping the ball ends off, and tunning it can be a pain, probably cause I don't know how to tune a Floyd the proper way. There are a lot of advantages though, sweeping and soloing feel easier on a Floyd guitar, but playing Decapitated style riffing, it just feels weak. But with the hard-tail it feels more natural and easier to dig hard and get a heavy/steady feel. The 7 string I want to buy will most likely have a Floyd since most old Ibanez 7's like the RG7620 have Floyd's, and I think the Fixed bridge Ibanez has is kinda lame. Perhaps I should try out the bigger gauge that I'm use to, and see if that helps.

+10000000

when i met Darrel i was too young to really get to know him but i'm sure he'd be disappointed, though i am glad of all the tribute stuff...seemed no one gave a damn about Quothorn from Bathory or Chuck from Death...seems it takes violence once more to wake the world

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to meet him, when he died I was only 11, and I was just getting into Slayer, and Pantera type of music. But once I started to play guitar, I started to realize what a great player he was. It's a shame it took his life to have people realize him as a great player. He got more famous after he died it seems.

Bathory and Death for the win!

neon_black88

Reaction score
He got more famous after he died it seems.

No shit :lol:. I was waiting for damage plan to come and play so I could see him, never got that chance though :(

And about the floyd stuff, most of the problems you were mentioning would just be something with your tequnique that you could fix pretty easily. I prefer fixed bridge too for tuning flexabilty, but a floyd for its capability. I like them equally for playing comfort. I HATE the floyd for tuning and restringing though, im just terrible at it, but I just need more practice I guess.

Some people seem to knock on dimebags playing a bit now, which I don't get. He had pretty fucking good chops (does he shit all over kirk hammet or what?), a unique tone, massive groove :shrug:

I just don't like the feel when you palm mute, it feels like you aren't getting a hard hit,

I get this on some guitars, but its more likely to do with the strings, pickups or wood the guitar is made out of. I've played a few floyds that were really lacking punch for rhythm, but I've played others that were doing it awsomely.

BlackMetalSins

Converted 8 Stringer
Reaction score
No shit :lol:. I was waiting for damage plan to come and play so I could see him, never got that chance though :(

And about the floyd stuff, most of the problems you were mentioning would just be something with your tequnique that you could fix pretty easily. I prefer fixed bridge too for tuning flexabilty, but a floyd for its capability. I like them equally for playing comfort. I HATE the floyd for tuning and restringing though, im just terrible at it, but I just need more practice I guess.

Some people seem to knock on dimebags playing a bit now, which I don't get. He had pretty fucking good chops (does he shit all over kirk hammet or what?), a unique tone, massive groove :shrug:

I get this on some guitars, but its more likely to do with the strings, pickups or wood the guitar is made out of. I've played a few floyds that were really lacking punch for rhythm, but I've played others that were doing it awsomely.

I think I'm going to put thicker strings on it, Un-block it, intonate it, and see if it feels any different. I'm hoping when I get an Ibanez 7 with a trem, it wont feel like my Jackson. The pickups may be causing some of the problems too on the Jackson, there crappy EMG HZ's that are old. I need to get some Blackouts.

My friend was going to the Damageplan show that Dime was shot at, but he didn't go. He still has the ticket some where in his apartment.

A lot of people are bashing on Dime lately, I think it's mostly cause he's getting so much publicity now that Dean has his name on almost everything. He was great none the less, one of my main influences in the beginning.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I own a Washburn Dime 332 guitar (I was told they are limited when I bought it, not sure if that is true). I dislike Washburn, I've never played a Washburn that I liked, they feel cheap in my opinion. But this Dime guitar plays amazing, and sounds brutal and heavy. This is the only Washburn that I have ever liked, and felt comfortable in my hands. I use to be a huge Dimebag Darrell fan before I heard of Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick, Steve Vai etc etc (I still love Dimebag though). This guitar has been through HELL, I have ripped out the jack input, I have dropped it out of the back of trucks and stages, I have broke the bridge, the straplocks have ripped out, and every edge of the guitar has had the paint chipped off, and a lot more. I recently sanded the neck down a bit (I do that to all my guitars) and put a Dimebucker in (Amazing pickup in my opinion, I just wish I had a Bill Lawrence XL500). I want to get the neck pickup that Dime used, but I can't find out which pickup he used in the neck. I heard he used the Seymour Duncan SH-1, but never had it confirmed. Does anyone know which pickup he used in the neck position?

Here's some pictures of the guitar

WashburnDime.jpg

WashburnDime2.jpg

WashburnDime3.jpg

WashburnDime4.jpg

WashburnDime5.jpg

WashburnDime6.jpg

He used a Dimarzio in the neck - dude why didn't you just buy the version of this with the Trem? I love these guitars =]

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I can shed some light on the subject.
The Dimebolt was a finish that Dime wanted badly.
The issue I was faced with was either finding a decal of the lightning bolt, or airbrush the bolt on the guitars.

The guys we had in the booth at the time were not airbrush friendly.
So the first production prototypes had a decal for the lightning bolt. Dime thought it looked funky, so I wound up having to airbrush the first run of Dimebolts myself.

This became very time consuming, so we dropped it from the USA line.

DaemonSvek

Banned
Reaction score
I have experience with them, and I have the one in my Jackson set up the proper way. I just don't like the feel when you palm mute, it feels like you aren't getting a hard hit, it might be because my string gauge isn't as thick as I'm use to, I use 9's to 50's on all my other guitars, and my Jackson thats Floyded has 9's to 46. Maybe I should put 9's to 50's on the Floyd and see if that helps the feel. But, re stringing it isn't as bad as I make it out to be I just hate snipping the ball ends off, and tunning it can be a pain, probably cause I don't know how to tune a Floyd the proper way. There are a lot of advantages though, sweeping and soloing feel easier on a Floyd guitar, but playing Decapitated style riffing, it just feels weak. But with the hard-tail it feels more natural and easier to dig hard and get a heavy/steady feel. The 7 string I want to buy will most likely have a Floyd since most old Ibanez 7's like the RG7620 have Floyd's, and I think the Fixed bridge Ibanez has is kinda lame. Perhaps I should try out the bigger gauge that I'm use to, and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to meet him, when he died I was only 11, and I was just getting into Slayer, and Pantera type of music. But once I started to play guitar, I started to realize what a great player he was. It's a shame it took his life to have people realize him as a great player. He got more famous after he died it seems.

Bathory and Death for the win!

dude, 9's are great but not for floyds IMO, try playing with 11's!!!! i used to play with 11's but went back down to 10's, which are best for me, with 11's i feel like i'm playing a goddamn bass. i get some serious ball smashing palm muting out the floyd on my ESP M-II, but I'm the ESP whore on the forum so, yeah. i've been playing with floyds so long just playing without one seems alien.

if you're looking for a 7 i have an RG1527 4 sale 4 500 bucks that i'm desperate to sell, and it's floyd thingy is designed so you don't have to snip off the balls on the strings and shit. i'm just so damn used to original floyds i hate the damn thing. lol

there's no reason to hate on darrel, hate on the corporate mongles that try to juice out every dollar they can from his death. thats the fucked up part. he'd be ashamed if he saw whats going on now. DImebag this and dimebag that. i wonder what would happen if he stuck to the name Diamond Darrel???

BlackMetalSins

Converted 8 Stringer
Reaction score
dude, 9's are great but not for floyds IMO, try playing with 11's!!!! i used to play with 11's but went back down to 10's, which are best for me, with 11's i feel like i'm playing a goddamn bass. i get some serious ball smashing palm muting out the floyd on my ESP M-II, but I'm the ESP whore on the forum so, yeah. i've been playing with floyds so long just playing without one seems alien.

if you're looking for a 7 i have an RG1527 4 sale 4 500 bucks that i'm desperate to sell, and it's floyd thingy is designed so you don't have to snip off the balls on the strings and shit. i'm just so damn used to original floyds i hate the damn thing. lol

there's no reason to hate on darrel, hate on the corporate mongles that try to juice out every dollar they can from his death. thats the fucked up part. he'd be ashamed if he saw whats going on now. DImebag this and dimebag that. i wonder what would happen if he stuck to the name Diamond Darrel???

I'll have to try out 11's. I've been using DR 9's to 46 on my Jackson, cause I'm not to fond of the higher strings being thick.

I would look into your RG1527, I've thought about getting one, but I have no cash. As to why I haven't been trying to get a hold of a RG7620 on the forum just yet.

I'm not hating on Darrell, I just hate on Dean and Rita Ford for making his death a business sale. It's sad to see his name put to shame, their putting his name on the most crappiest guitars that I have ever played on. I don't think it would matter if he stuck to the name Diamond Darrell, they'd still put his name on everything.