Haven't Played in Months

• Thread starter InFlames235
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InFlames235

Reaction score
Hey all - so I'm going through a pretty big slump in my guitar playing. I'm 29 years old and started playing guitar when I was 13. I've always had periods of playing on and off but it's been months this time since I've picked up the guitar and my inspiration to pick it up and play is all but gone.

I feel especially guilty about it since I have thousands in nice gear just sitting there being completely ignored but not really sure how I get the passion back. Has anyone here gone through this before? What are some ways I can try and get back into things? Thanks guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
All. The. Time. I'm in one, presently. Almost a year-ish, not counting playing acoustic kid songs for my infant daughter.

Don't let it make you feel guilty. Serendipity, by nature, can't be forced. Your musical journey is supposed to be fun, so when it isn't fun, it's totally fine to take a step back - consciously, or otherwise.

Unless you sell it, your gear will be waiting for you, and - lacking the requisite consciousness - it won't miss you, either. Conversely, it's a pretty judgmental jerk of a person who would perceive you negatively on the basis that you don't use your own gear as often as they think you should.

There are past threads that have delved into this. FWIW, you are not alone. It happens to most artists, frequently; especially those of us for whom art isn't a primary or sole source of income.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I will say, though, that I've found inspiration often comes when one steps outside their comfort zone. This can be anything; traveling, listening to music you wouldn't normally listen to, hiking a local trail you've never seen before, eating at a restaurant that serves stuff you've never tried, etc.

TL;DR = New experiences often beget new ideas.

GeckoNox

Reaction score
I've been there myself, usually happens when I get bored of playing the same old riffs and scales over and over again every time I pick it up. In the end I just don't have the will to pick it up at all.

One thing that can get me back into playing regularly really easily is when I hear a new song that catches my ear. Sometimes it takes a while for something to come along but I find that learning something new can get me out of that rut really quickly. It gives me something to be progressing with and a reason to pick up the guitar without really thinking about it. Sometimes it's an old favourite that I never got around to learning. Most recent one was The Escape by Intervals, such an ear worm of a riff. Really fun to play too.

The challenge of trying to get something new down can be really addictive for me. Have you tried challenging your playing recently?

InFlames235

Reaction score
The challenge of trying to get something new down can be really addictive for me. Have you tried challenging your playing recently?

Thanks guys! This is already making me feel better. To answer your question - no. I think what I've realized is that I'm also only playing the same stuff over and over again. I'm a really big Dream Theater fan and, as such, my musical gear has trended in that direction (Petrucci sig guitar and JP2C amp) and my playing has as well. Sometimes I feel bored because I typically play Dream Theater-ish songs or just regular metal crunchy riffs more than anything and my gear is based that way too. Sometimes feels like I want to sell it all and start over again with some generic gear that can shape my style in a different way or play different sorts of music but I have no idea where I'd start.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Your gear may be particularly well suited for a Dream Theater sound, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable of doing other things. I'd humbly suggest letting your usage steer your purchases; not the other way around.

Rizzo

Reaction score
I hear you, been playing since I was 15 and it's been roughly ten years now but I absolutely can't state I've been *playing* for 10 years. Every time I had a kind of "crisis", it's been harder and harder to get back on track.

Mostly played like crazy and was dead serious about it, with few moments of discouraging since the beginnings until 2010-2011, when I stopped for about a year after breaking up my first band and being kinda depressed, then got back by 2012 by finding another two bands which however didn't last long. I previously thrived on my resilience, but now haven't been in a band since 2013 and I definitely stopped practising since then (I had other ruts in time but it has never been more than a few months or a year at best). A mix of other priorities (uni, work) hence lack of time more or less consiously shifted music down the list, and on top of that lack of purpose or direction (I don't really have the motivation to pick up the guitar, turn on the metronome and get into a practice routine since I don't have a "why" anymore) got me where I'm at.

Now basically, I forgot everything I learnt both technically and theoretically, so the rare and casual picking up of the guitar mostly pisses me off since I don't have ideas and can't do anything anymore. I would really like to get back to playing, and the *idea* to do it is fine, but I basically refuse at the thought of starting all over again for the n-th time since the frustration is stronger than it ever was, and also for not having a specific purpose (as the ability to get in a band).

I also can understand feeling guilty, since the mixture of frustration, sadness and implied procrastination basically feeds upon itself.

On the positive side, I haven't sold my gear and I tried to explore other stuff to not dwell in frustration, particularly home recording and drums. Since I've always had a drumkit lying around (my dad was a drummer, and my home has always been the rehearsal space for my group of musical friends), I focused on drums and now I'm having a little home project with a friend of mine with me on drums. Can't say I'm half as proficient as I was on guitar, but still I'm having fun and learning something new. Still, my nostalgia for guitar is there.

As for inspiration, I have to quote above entries. You don't get musical ideas, or any other ideas, by focusing on music 24/7. I do believe in the motto "art is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration", but I also believe that any art doesn't come by living just for art itself. As Stephen King says, it has to be art in support of life, and not the other way around.
So first, I don't believe in waiting for guitar ideas by staring at your guitar until it comes. This doesn't mean "quit just as something's not coming off right" but if it feels like an obligation, just live your life, do other stuff, find new stimuli and then get back to guitar. Let your brain metabolize and you'll get new creative juice.
First, listen to new music and try new stuff on guitar. But if that's not enough to make you feel good, learn/do something entirely new. You might as well find a new hobby.
Also, when you feel drained of ideas, just let it go and experiment, something may happen. As another quote goes, "you can polish a draft, but not a blank page".

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

khm

Reaction score
I took 5/6 years off when my band fell apart, and sold all my high end touring gear - really wish I hadn't now!

I got married last year, and my now wife asked if I could play guitar for her at the wedding as she walked down the aisle, now normally playing melodic death metal didn't really seem to hit the switch, so I picked up a cheap Spanish guitar (I used play a little 30 years ago) and decided to learn a classical piece, as I knew it would be a massive challenge using classical finger picking as its not something I was used to. what do ya know? kinda rekindled my love for guitar, as it have me a new avenue to explore!

I hope you find your mojo again man, just don't put pressure on yourself to do so and maybe look into another avenue that's a little far from what you used to play all the time.

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you. Went months without playing and was doing other equally creative hobbies. Then, I saw one of my favourite bands play in concert last month and now I'm back into it at full force.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'm just so busy that I can barely play. It's really sad, but when I do have time, I know I will be delighted to have my gear there and ready to go. Hang in there bud.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Listen to Jazz. Listen to Classical. Listen to New Age. Listen to other stuff.
Inspiration will find you.

Reactions: fps

bhakan

Reaction score
I always recommend listening to new music. It's easy for playing to get stale if you're always playing the same stuff.

Just for fun, here's a couple bands that have some super cool, interesting guitar stuff going on that are outside the typical prog metal of this forum. In the form of Audiotree sessions when possible because A) I love them, B) I think watching a band play something can really strike inspiration more than just listening.

broj15

Reaction score
I was kinda in the same boat for a while. My old band that I was pretty invested in broke up about a month ago, and I recently relocated so I've been too caught up with that. Idk I just started trying to write different stuff, and jumped back into the world of 7 strings. Idk I just felt like I explored all the avenues for what I was doing and everything I wrote started to sound the same so I figured I'd just try to write something different and see where that goes.

Dayn

Reaction score
If I may wax poetic a bit, all music needs some silence. There's no light without dark. Highs have their lows. Give it time. Sometimes the time spent away from your instrument is well worth it. Do something else, something new to occupy your time. Pick up a different instrument. Learn something new.

I had a similar thing where I was lucky to play once a month for three years. I was just busy and had so much else to do. Anyway, I ended up getting back into it. But all that time away, doing other things (different musical things too) not only gave me a greater appreciation for guitar, but I played much better, too. I mean, after I got used to it again.

Just let it go and find something else that sparks your interest. You will never enjoy it if you try to force yourself to.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
All good man, been there and wasn’t inspired to write guitar music.

Hit up Kontakt, did a bunch of orchestral stuff and was cool for like 6 months.

Got the itch again, started playing.

It’s a creative thing, if you’re not feeling creative, then fuck it and do something else.