Having a really hard time deciding between these three guitars, help?

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
what I was thinkin about this morning was that i should get the RGD, throwin the SD Blackout AHB-3 EMTY pickups in it, and then play it for a while to make sure that i really dig the playability and feel of it. if after a month or so I am still unhappy with the basswood tone, i can send the whole guitar doen to Ernie at ET Guitars to have him build me a replacement mahogany body for it :) what do you guys think?

As been said, that sounds pricey, but it looks to be what will truly make you happy, which this may sound cheesy, is worth more than anything.

Just don't set yourself up to hate the RGD's tone no matter what, go in with an open mind.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
try a BKP Miracle Man? Ive heard they work great in 7s that are basswood, but i didnt know if they were awesome in 6ers aswell... i can certainly give that pup a try though.... i really want to get that RGD6 and then get the RGD7 :D... after that ill be saving up for the RGA6 thenthe RGA7 :D

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
As been said, that sounds pricey, but it looks to be what will truly make you happy, which this may sound cheesy, is worth more than anything.

Just don't set yourself up to hate the RGD's tone no matter what, go in with an open mind.

nah that dont sound cheesy at all... your right. no matter what, if im not happy with anything but mahogany, then i shouldnt waste my money on things i know i dont like. plus, when you have a guitar that yiou really really love, youll want to play it even more.....see thats my main prob right now, is that im so sick of my shit tone that it makes me not even want to play it....

now ive also heard great things about those DeActivator pickups in mahognay.... do these do well in bwood as well?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
nah that dont sound cheesy at all... your right. no matter what, if im not happy with anything but mahogany, then i shouldnt waste my money on things i know i dont like. plus, when you have a guitar that yiou really really love, youll want to play it even more.....see thats my main prob right now, is that im so sick of my shit tone that it makes me not even want to play it....

now ive also heard great things about those DeActivator pickups in mahognay.... do these do well in bwood as well?

I like the neck D-Activator 7 a lot in my UV's, but the bridge isn't as inspiring. I've played a Radius which had D-Activators installed and it sounded pretty beastly being played through a Carvin MTS3200.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
get the d activator X for the bridge

I've tried those in Mahogany, Basswood, and Alder and they sounded rather "meh". Too much bass, especially in Basswood and Mahogany. Alder was the best of the three, but not by much. They're my least favorite Dimarzios outside the X2N (which I fucking hate).

All my opinion of course. ;)

gordomenz

Reaction score
+1 Torero

I love mine, got it a couple weeks ago. Doesn't feel cheap, haven't found a single flaw yet.. and it doesn't SOUND cheap. It was set up great out of the box, and the floyd is very solid. Great guitar for the money.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
the torreros out of the question because its a maple neckthru and im lookin to get mahogany tone not maple tone, elsewise i couldve just kept my RGT42DXFM because that guitar was fucking AWESOME!!! Had to trade it for the badass amp i got now, but wouldve definitely held onto it and threw some SD BO EMTY's in it,,,,

YellowMustard

Reaction score

I hear alot of people say stuff like this, and even i have been guilty of it somewhat in the past, but i base guitars off how they sound individually, i try not to follow blanket statements. Mainly because my favorite tonewood 9/10 times is gonna be Mahogany, but i'll be damned if i havent played some amazing sounding Basswood guitars.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear alot of people say stuff like this, and even i have been guilty of it somewhat in the past, but i base guitars off how they sound individually, i try not to follow blanket statements. Mainly because my favorite tonewood 9/10 times is gonna be Mahogany, but i'll be damned if i havent played some amazing sounding Basswood guitars.

Guitars are a sum of their parts, and many of those parts can even differ between those that are the same (not all maple necks sound the same, neither do all ash bodies). To determine whether you will or will not like a given guitar based solely on that seems a little odd to me.

A lot of folks on here will actually HATE a guitar based on a single spec without even trying said instrument.

SjPedro

Reaction score
I say RGD but you should suspect my opinion and here's why:

I got a thing for Ibanez :p

and besides that body looks wicked!! Even though your main concern is tone I doubt this baby will disappoint you :)

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
even though im dying for an extended scale sixer, i highly doubt the RGD is really going to give me what im looking for tonewise, no matter how nice it looks and feels, its still basswood at the end of the day... and you guys made it pretty clear that its impossible to get basswood to xound like mahogany with a pickup swap.

with that being said, im going to give up on extended scale for now, and get a real PRS. since my dream tone is either mahogany or mahogany with a maple cap, PRS just has many more options than ibanez in this department, and i LOOOOOOVE their "wide-thin" carve a lot. so what im gonna do is so that i can at least have aguitar that i love to play and love its tone, get a PRS CE-24 or a Custom 24, and get those gorgeous bird inlays :)

then for my extended scale sixer, im just gonna have Ernoe at ET guitars make me this:

body/top = mahogany / flame maple
bridge = edge fx
neck = 3 pc maple/wenge/maple
fretboard = blank ebony
nut= earvana compensated
pckups = seymour duncan blackouts AHB-3 EMTY
scale = 27"
reversed headstock