Headless Multiscale 7 String

• Thread starter Kellz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for a headless multiscale 7 string 25.5-27'' scale. I don't want to buy used. Has to be new.

Living in germany, europe my options are:

- Strandberg Original Boden 7 for 2.4k (Indo guitar with QC issues, mixed reviews, overpriced?, shorter scale)
- Mayones Hydra 7 VF for ~3.9k (Super expensive, good QC and quality)
- Aristides H0/7R for ~3.5k (Used to be a lot cheaper 3 years ago, good QC and quality, expensive)

Then I was looking for Kiesel, what do you think of my custom build? I was trying to build it similar to the Mayones Hydra 7 in terms of woods.

With import tax and shipping it's around 2800€. Non-Returnable Option with the poplar burl top but the cheapest overall, QC hit or miss from what I'm reading, most risk but also the cheapest and completely custom usa built guitar.

upload_2021-9-23_10-27-50.png

What are your thoughts on this? Any other options?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
I wouldn't go Kiesel if you're outside of the US and with a non refundable policy.

I like the Bodens and have played some good ones, but also a few that aren't up to scratch. As you've listed other brands for more £££, then I'd probably discount Strandberg too, unless you're dead set on the neck shape.

I haven't played a Hydra, but have a Regius and a Duvell and they are very good. Obviously an expensive option but unlikely to go wrong here.

As I'm GASing for one atm I'd go with the Aristides personally.

I'd look into Skervesen as well.

There are loads of interesting looking smaller custom brands in addition to the above that do headless models, but without seeing them in the wild I can't comment on their wait times/how good/reliable they are.

If you're just dipping your toe into 7 string/multiscales then some of the Goc headless guitars can be ok for the money - again seen some good ones and some not so good ones but we're talking sub £1k here.

Also this thread has other options (albeit for 6's but sure most do 7s too)
https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/headless-options-nowadays.349132/

Last edited:

Isurez

Reaction score
Hit me with an email: bartlomiej@skervesen.eu The price for the multi-scale ShoggieDC 7 will be less than € 2,800.
Standard features when it comes our guitars:
- Luminlay side dots
- Copper shielded electronics cavities
- Hand-made wooden cavities' covers
- String-compensation system for multi-scale
- Compound radius
- Jescar Enterprises stainless steel frets no 57110
- MEC electronic components
- 2-year warranty

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hit me with an email: bartlomiej@skervesen.eu The price for the multi-scale ShoggieDC 7 will be less than € 2,800.
Standard features when it comes our guitars:
- Luminlay side dots
- Copper shielded electronics cavities
- Hand-made wooden cavities' covers
- String-compensation system for multi-scale
- Compound radius
- Jescar Enterprises stainless steel frets no 57110
- MEC electronic components
- 2-year warranty
I did a fast custom build, I'm at 3669€ already, for that money I can get an Aristides or a Mayones with great reputation. Not really professional doing advertisement here and claiming a price which is 1000€ lower then what you see on the website, is that even allowed?

Slaeyer

Reaction score
Have a look at Blackat guitars as well. They have a feral series with limited options (but also cheaper) and the real custom stuff with. from what I’ve heard they build quite nice guitars. Haven‘t tried one myself though…

Isurez

Reaction score
I did a fast custom build, I'm at 3669€ already, for that money I can get an Aristides or a Mayones with great reputation. Not really professional doing advertisement here and claiming a price which is 1000€ lower then what you see on the website, is that even allowed?
But you didn't send us a quote. You would be surprised. :) We mainly operate via e-mail.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude Skervesen's reputation is every bit as good as Mayones and the quality is also there as well. Definitely worth a look. But you seem to have a bit of a stick up your ass so you do what you wanna do.

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude Skervesen's reputation is every bit as good as Mayones and the quality is also there as well. Definitely worth a look. But you seem to have a bit of a stick up your ass so you do what you wanna do.
Calm down mate, you seem to have a rough day don't you? I said no word about their reputation, but when you read that the price will be less than Kiesel and you quickly check the website with easily 1k above what the guy said, not really promising.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
You can also have a look at overload guitars the Themis is headless and comes in multiscale as well. I think you can spec out almost the same as the Kiesel for les than 2800. However I don't know if their pricing includes VAT and that kind of stuff.

I own a Themis 8 string and it is a killer guitar!

http://overloadguitars.com/themis.html

Also I think the reputation of skerv is very mutch good I believe.

Hapas also has a headless multiscale, they are very well made guitars as well, and I think the price is also around or below the 2800, but I am not sure.
https://hapasguitars.com/product/hapas-turandot-7ff/

IMG_3326-1080x1080.jpg

Isurez

Reaction score
Calm down mate, you seem to have a rough day don't you? I said no word about their reputation, but when you read that the price will be less than Kiesel and you quickly check the website with easily 1k above what the guy said, not really promising.
I set the price based on your Kiesel sheet. Prices on the website vary depending on the specifications. It was just an offer, thank you for your time.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Actually I had a fantastic day. I was just calling it like I saw it. I figured they likely gave you a price on a guitar speced like the kiesel build you displayed. Hence the gentlemen's offer to you. But as I said, you do you. Seems you want a mayones so I'd say just get one.

Slaeyer

Reaction score
Actually I had a fantastic day. I was just calling it like I saw it. I figured they likely gave you a price on a guitar speced like the kiesel build you displayed. Hence the gentlemen's offer to you. But as I said, you do you. Seems you want a mayones so I'd say just get one.

It's not just you... I had the same impression.

Either way if you really need a custom and cannot settle for a small compromise I'd write to skervesen or blackat. Both build great guitars.

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's not just you... I had the same impression.

Either way if you really need a custom and cannot settle for a small compromise I'd write to skervesen or blackat. Both build great guitars.
Ty a lot, Blackat looks very nice and affordable. I'll have a look at the feral series.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Another note - almost all quotes you get from online builders etc usually end up being around 30% less in reality, at least in my experience. So I wouldn’t take the skervesen guy above as being off or trying to nab a sale.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
According to the website, punched in the options you listed and also got 3600€ including shipping within Europe.
If there are any options you could walk away from, though, I think you'll find that the price is more reasonable. If you go with the base model plus the scale length you want, it's only 2890€.

Doug Craft

The Squirminator
Reaction score
I have a Strandberg Prog 7 as it was one of the few models I could find with a whammy and multi-scale. Since I like both clean and high gain tones, I did not care for the Fishman Fluence Modern pickups (lack of good clean options and they were battery hogs), so I had a Duncan JB/Jazz set and series-single-parallel switches installed.

Otherwise, I was very impressed with the build quality. The scale is a 25.5"-26.25" so the fanning is moderate and easy to adjust to. The neck is unusually shaped, but I find it comfortable - if you play with standard hand position, you will have no problems with the adjustment. There are a couple of video reviews that do cover the details (Google). The fretwork is excellent and I like the SS frets. With the Duncan pickups, it covers the range of tones I like. It plays like a high quality instrument - comparable to my EBMM Majesty 7.
20210828_125630.jpg

20210819_182557.jpg

Last edited:

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Strandberg Prog 7 as it was one of the few models I could find with a whammy and multi-scale. Since I like both clean and high gain tones, I did not care for the Fishman Fluence Modern pickups (lack of good clean options and they were battery hogs), so I had a Duncan JB/Jazz set and series-single-parallel switches installed.

Otherwise, I was very impressed with the build quality. The scale is a 25.5"-26.25" so the fanning is moderate and easy to adjust to. The neck is unusually shaped, but I find it comfortable - if you play with standard hand position, you will have no problems with the adjustment. There are a couple of video reviews that do cover the details (Google). The fretwork is excellent and I like the SS frets. With the Duncan pickups, it covers the range of tones I like. It plays like a high quality instrument - comparable to my EBMM Majesty 7.
View attachment 98033

View attachment 98032
That poplar burl top is incredible, that's not a production model is it? Thanks for your thoughts aswell.

makecamera

Reaction score
I have two Kiesels (one a multiscale 7) and just recently bought a used Strandberg. All three are pretty much flawless high quality instruments. The cool thing about Strandberg (IMO) is that you can (usually) get them faster and most retailers have great return policies (including Strandberg themselves). So if you get a dud, you can send it back and keep ordering new ones until you find a flawless specimen. That said, the Strandberg has the endurneck, and that doesn't work many people. You'll also be stuck with their tops, which generally aren't good. The new NX models look really nice. IIRC the tops are now all veneers (which are fine but not nearly as pretty as a solid wood top).

Kellz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have two Kiesels (one a multiscale 7) and just recently bought a used Strandberg. All three are pretty much flawless high quality instruments. The cool thing about Strandberg (IMO) is that you can (usually) get them faster and most retailers have great return policies (including Strandberg themselves). So if you get a dud, you can send it back and keep ordering new ones until you find a flawless specimen. That said, the Strandberg has the endurneck, and that doesn't work many people. You'll also be stuck with their tops, which generally aren't good. The new NX models look really nice. IIRC the tops are now all veneers (which are fine but not nearly as pretty as a solid wood top).
I've seen the new NX models, man those tops are so boring and not really exciting. The fretboards on the prog 7 is richlite now aswell, no more ebony. Not sure about the body wood aswell, honestly strandberg seems to cut costs everywhere. For 2.5k I'd rather get myself a nice Kiesel will some nice pieces of wood or support or small european luthier.

makecamera

Reaction score
I've seen the new NX models, man those tops are so boring and not really exciting. The fretboards on the prog 7 is richlite now aswell, no more ebony. Not sure about the body wood aswell, honestly strandberg seems to cut costs everywhere. For 2.5k I'd rather get myself a nice Kiesel will some nice pieces of wood or support or small european luthier.

Agreed with the tops, but the richlite is awesome. Aristides uses richlite. My understanding is that it is impervious to all the issues ebony has. It's very dry where I live so I'll take the maintenance of richlite any day. The material of the fretboard makes no difference to me - I just want a low maintenance workhorse.

The veneer tops don't look great to me though. I'd like to see them have more solid color options with various metal flake, pearls, patterns, and sustainable natural wood tops.