Healthy BBQ foods

• Thread starter Leon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
one of my favorite things to BBQ that is pretty healthy is asparagus. get the thick stuff and marinate it in a bag of teriyaki for about an hour prior to grilling. then put it right on the grill, sans foil (of course, put them across the bars, and not parallel to. seems obvious, but you'd be surprised :lol: ).

anyone else grill healthy stuff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Summer squash and zucchini rocks on the BBQ. Just chop it up, wrap it in foil and fire it on there for about 10 minutes or so. :yesway:

Makelele

Reaction score
My motto is: "Everything is healthy until you eat too much of it"

But, I guess chicken is quite healthy compared to beef and pork. Salmon also works great as far as I remember. I´haven't been able to eat it for years, though, because I suddenly got allergic to fish. Grilled tomatoes are also really good.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
My buddy the chef ran the grill last Fourth of July at a friend's place - we took him ingredient shopping and he did the rest. He had a little cannister of mesquite chips which he tossed into the grill, and for a main course did some veggies (summer squash and zuchinni) with barbecued chicken and pork chops stuffed with a spicey sausage.

It was amazing, but what really impressed me was what he did for dessert - he picked up a bunch of fresh peaches, quartered them, and tossed them on the grill.

Let me tell you, a mesquite-grilled peach is FAR better than it sounds, and IMO it sounds pretty damned good.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
I BBQ most meats on the top rack, like burgers and chicken, they come out juicier than (you fill in the rest!)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I like to soak shrip in a marinade of Corona, lime, garlic, and old bay overnight. Skewer it and throw it on the grill, along with onions, green and red bell peppers, and some yellow rice (I make it on the side burner, with plenty of cilantro thrown in). I loves me some shrimp fajitas. :yum:

Sure, it's not BBQ, but to most Americans, grill = BBQ. Personally, I don't think healthy and BBQ go together so well.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've never tried it, but I suspect eggplant in a terryaki marinade would be pretty damned good, too... I'd love to try a breaded parmesean-style eggplant, but I doubt that'd hold up as well.

My parents do portabellas in terryaki marinade now and then, and those work pretty well, too.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris said:
Summer squash and zucchini rocks on the BBQ. Just chop it up, wrap it in foil and fire it on there for about 10 minutes or so. :yesway:

:hbang:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
I like to soak shrip in a marinade of Corona, lime, garlic, and old bay overnight. Skewer it and throw it on the grill, along with onions, green and red bell peppers, and some yellow rice (I make it on the side burner, with plenty of cilantro thrown in). I loves me some shrimp fajitas. :yum:
sounds good! when shrimp is available to me, i will generally wrap it with bacon, to be as decadent as possible :lol:

noodles said:
Sure, it's not BBQ, but to most Americans, grill = BBQ. Personally, I don't think healthy and BBQ go together so well.
ahh, yeah, i also failed to make the distinction. though, pretty much 99% of the time when a grill is fired up in my family, there is some sort of BBQ sauce incorporated.