Heavier moderation of tech advice/subjective stuff?????

• Thread starter dpm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What about taking some of the techs and giving them forum specific mod abilities. So don't make them Super Mods with forum wide abilities, make them, I dunno....Batman Mods, :lol: specific to the general tech section or something.

That way, they could give their advice, or opinion on someone elses advice, without it having to be 3-4 pages into the conversation, where it might go unread.

Neg.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Terrible idea.

The best thing is to have open discussion, and let those more informed, should they catch error, to publicly call it out as such. Then, there can be discussion as to A) why the aforementioned advice is wrong, lacking, or only partially correct, and B) how to CORRECTLY, in each poster's opinion, perform said technical action.

The propensity of the advice will tend to slant in the direction of those "in the know."

We don't need increased censorship to get good advice, we need intelligent debate and informed opinion/experience. This IS a discussion forum, FTR. ;)

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That'd be a great idea - like some sort of "official response" right below the original post. You could even make it so that if someone makes a good suggestion that a lot of people agree with, that post could be elevated to that 'status'.

Actually, that is what the eRep system is SUPPOSED to be for. You know, the thing that you and all you OT freaks abuse to death? :fawk:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Terrible idea.

The best thing is to have open discussion, and let those more informed, should they catch error, to publicly call it out as such. Then, there can be discussion as to A) why the aforementioned advice is wrong, lacking, or only partially correct, and B) how to CORRECTLY, in each poster's opinion, perform said technical action.

The propensity of the advice will tend to slant in the direction of those "in the know."

We don't need increased censorship to get good advice, we need intelligent debate and informed opinion/experience.

Bob = :yesway:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I say just put a disclaimer in the tech section to try shit at your own risk, use common sense, and don't take every single idea you hear on here as a good idea... I'm sure we've all given advice that may not be the "proper" way to do shit before, but people need to think for themselves a bit. If I go and tell someone to crank the shit out of their truss rod, and the guy ends up completely fucking his guitar, well, there is something to be said for waiting for multiple responses, or even just using some common sense since most people know not to do that. But if someone is going to go and try any old thing that the first person on the internet suggests they do, then they're pretty much doomed anyways.

Reactions: dpm

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
I say just put a disclaimer in the tech section to try shit at your own risk, use common sense, and don't take every single idea you hear on here as a good idea... I'm sure we've all given advice that may not be the "proper" way to do shit before, but people need to think for themselves a bit. If I go and tell someone to crank the shit out of their truss rod, and the guy ends up completely fucking his guitar, well, there is something to be said for waiting for multiple responses, or even just using some common sense since most people know not to do that. But if someone is going to go and try any old thing that the first person on the internet suggests they do, then they're pretty much doomed anyways.

:agreed:

thank you, JJ

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I have my moments, but they're generally centered around common sense, which I like to think I have, even if I choose not to exercise it all the time :lol:

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anyone who would taste PTFE lube deserves to get their balls busted.
Reading comprehension is one of those things that takes lots of practice and a little bit of brain power.
Re-read the post about 'eating PTFE'.
You'll see that I wasn't the one eating it.

Acetone shots with DPM!
Absinthe is for pussies.
:D

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone who won't try PTFE lube because I bust their balls deserves to get their balls busted.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Information on the internet always gets used and abused. And some advice is shaky, but hell, I'd never do something without doing extra research on it first.

Saying that, I'd never have attempted to mod and bias and amp with 't internet, so it works both ways.

And anyone who attempts anything without research is a fool.