Heavy as fuck tone

• Thread starter DarkWolfXV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Basically, someone here posted this:

(skip to 0:41 for no intro)
And i fell in love with the heaviness, i know that most of it is low tuning and the slow riff, but what amp could give me such tone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Roger Beaujard is a huge fan of digital processing (just look at GRINDbot), so it wouldn't surprise me if he used some sort of processor for the guitar tone.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Cant find GRINDbot anywhere, all that pops up are WoW and other MMO grind bots:/

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
Alot of the heaviness is the guitar mixed with the bass. On the slow chuggy riffs the bass is pretty audible. Its just that the guitar is scooped enough to mess with the bass to form one heavy ass tone.

Saidincontext

Reaction score
Get a equalizer, make the bandwidth of the bass really low to seperate from mids/highs, but set the mids/ highs pretty close, scoop your mids back, probably quite a bit, but keep it normal on the amp, maybe even boost there, boost the bass and treble, but not too much, should be about right. You'll also need a truckload of distortion, probably a pedal for boost, heavy amp distortion getts pretty muddy most times. The range of all this depends on your amp/guitar/pickups.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I was able to get something pretty close with an old Zoom 510 dual power driver multi effects unit by combining the Light OD & Metal settings, and a Peavey Stereo Chorus on the clean channel with the bass, treble, and presence all the way up, and mids all the way down. It was actually not that bad.

If you manage to find these, they're pretty cheap, so it won't break the bank (I spent a grand total of $235 for both,) and you should be able to get it. Maybe cut back on the presence and treble a bit to make it a bit boomier, but you're going to want basically no mids coming from the amp, as it has a LOT of middle frequencies naturally in the sound. For comparison, mids scooped out entirely on that thing is mids between 10 and 11 O'clock on my amp at home.

malice

Lurker
Reaction score
Cant find GRINDbot anywhere, all that pops up are WoW and other MMO grind bots:/
I can't really help on achieving that tone but just to clarify Chickenhawk's comment, according to Roger Beaujard's Wikipedia page, GRINDBot is a
100% digital American grindcore band

A MySpace page for the band is here and there is an official site here but it appears broken for me.

Hope that helps :).

boltzthrower

Reaction score
Alot of the heaviness is the guitar mixed with the bass. On the slow chuggy riffs the bass is pretty audible. Its just that the guitar is scooped enough to mess with the bass to form one heavy ass tone.
This^.

Listen for songs where the guitar is playing without the bass, I know there's some parts on the Chainsaw Dismemberment album. All of that high end sizzle is coming from the extremely overdriven bass, and I could see how when first listening to these guys you would think it was guitar.

thetobarmethod

thetobarmethod:/
Reaction score
yea i agree with most of the mid scooping thing(scoop carefully if you are going to do it) and how in the verse u can easily hear the bass doing all that low end work, but this is also de-tuned, and definitely on a seven string. very dimebagish to my ears.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
+1 to the bass playing a huge part in the tone. I saw them live, & the bass player was playing through some green pedal of some sort... No idea what it was. The guitarist was using an old Line 6 DM-4 into some really basic / budget amp... I think it was an old Crate or Peavey.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
and definitely on a seven string. very dimebagish to my ears.

Not seven string, no no, this is 6 string baritone.

So anyway, for the guitar, i should set amp mids normal, boost bass and treble, then get eq and scoop mids on the eq, and boost mids and bass on bass guitar, so it blends into one heavy-as-fuck tone, right?
Or did i not get it?

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Well i tried this on my Peavey and it seems like 75% on way to this level of heaviness is cranking pre gain above 7, though it gets quite muddy at this level, try a lot of low, like at 7, mids at 5-6 and highs 6, resonance 6, presence 7. Probably with uber distorted bass playing it would be even closer to this tone, gotta go jam with my bassist friend.

jllozano

Reaction score
a rocktron mAXE preamp can get you that exact tone....just use a nice power amp

Saidincontext

Reaction score
Well i tried this on my Peavey and it seems like 75% on way to this level of heaviness is cranking pre gain above 7, though it gets quite muddy at this level, try a lot of low, like at 7, mids at 5-6 and highs 6, resonance 6, presence 7. Probably with uber distorted bass playing it would be even closer to this tone, gotta go jam with my bassist friend.
Are you talking about o'clock or 1 being dead to the left?

Saidincontext

Reaction score
If I were going to say, he's probably using a Crate gx-130c, which actually have pretty killer tone, and an automatic mid scooped sound from the amp-SS.