Helix 3.70 out now

• Thread starter complex-barb.0t
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I personally am not a fan of built in expression pedals either, though the main Helix one isn't terrible (don't have experience with the LT). To me it's more practical to not have one built in but have the option to hook one up, because it's a part that can wear more. It also gives you the option to have an exp pedal that you actually like connected without having to take up even more space.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
You really cannot use a HX Stomp XL? and if not, are you really sure you need the extra processing and it's not simply a "nice to have"?

I get it, it's not wrong to want to full power device without a pedal, especially since other manufacturers offer that form factor. But given what we have available from Line 6 today, can you make a HX Stomp XL work?
Nah, at that point I'll just keep the LT, the second I want to use any sort of Poly capo or pitch shift, Ill lose half my DSP, and I'm not trying to have external pedals or extra cables. I want 4 cables total; guitar in, stereo out to board/power source, and a power cable.

I know it's not the hugest deal and carrying around my LT at the end of the day is fine, and sure there are times I do use the pedal, but a man can dream can't he?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Seems to be a popular design choice to cripple the device, I just feel the need to shout down the desire on forums I know people from line 6 go on so I get what I want instead of something that, to me, is less useful and more of a hassle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So I often hear of people making various settings/options sacrifices due to the amount of blocks and whatnot.

As someone who's main chain consists of only a gate, boost, amp, cab, and chorus in a straight shot I don't think I'd ever have that problem. My lead tone is taken from a Prince tone download and despite it looking super complicated I was still able to add a few effects to it.
Screenshot 2024-02-03 142403.png
Screenshot 2023-10-02 064855.png

For people in that position who find themselves running out of space can you share what it is you're doing with your signal chain? I think the Helix can be way more elaborate then what I use it for so I just like examples from people who seem to be using it to its full potential.

olejason

Reaction score
For people in that position who find themselves running out of space can you share what it is you're doing with your signal chain? I think the Helix can be way more elaborate then what I use it for so I just like examples from people who seem to be using it to its full potential.

The pitch effects and some of the reverbs are DSP hogs. People into 'ambient' type stuff will run through the available DSP pretty quickly. I use a Stomp XL and have never felt confined by it for the stuff I play.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I used to build my sound using two full signal chains, so there were two amps, cab IRs, gates, reverbs and so on, and at that point I was getting close to running out of space. It was fun to tweak, but in the end, when it came to the mixing part it turned out pointless.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
My next step is going to be putting more blocks on 1 path so I can do preset changes again. That way I can load up a clean patch with the all the "accoutrement" fancy stuff and not load up everything in one patch cause its too much. My crunch patch could be a Marshall type and my heavy rhythm a modern high gain type amp and the lead something else. I just gotta learn the routing and all that. Basically I want a 2nd line for more blocks with with the XLR outs with cab sim and 1/4 out to a power amp/cab.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
So I often hear of people making various settings/options sacrifices due to the amount of blocks and whatnot.

As someone who's main chain consists of only a gate, boost, amp, cab, and chorus in a straight shot I don't think I'd ever have that problem. My lead tone is taken from a Prince tone download and despite it looking super complicated I was still able to add a few effects to it.
View attachment 137727
View attachment 137728

I don't really run out of space on my LT, but my buddy's stomp? All the time.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I've run out of DSP on signal paths on the full helix more than a couple times if I'm making anything "spacey" or ambient. reverbs and pitch effects will eat it up really quick

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I've run out of DSP on signal paths on the full helix more than a couple times if I'm making anything "spacey" or ambient. reverbs and pitch effects will eat it up really quick
Get two LT's, problem solved.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
How many reverbs and delays are you stacking to get ambient sounds?

One thing i learned is that its often the settings vs number of blocks with modellers. Real world may take 3-4 pedals but the right reverb and delay blocks and gold.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
How many reverbs and delays are you stacking to get ambient sounds?

One thing i learned is that its often the settings vs number of blocks with modellers. Real world may take 3-4 pedals but the right reverb and delay blocks and gold.
early in the helix's life cycle there weren't shimmer reverbs, so they necessitated stacking reverbs and pitch effects simultaneously. nowadays i can get the same sound from 1 effect and i haven't run into a DSP limit in years, but it's absolutely possible to do.

eta: iirc the legacy effects did technically include the "Particle Verb" effect from the HD units but i didn't like it as much as making the effect myself.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I've ran into two gripes recently with the Helix, and both are (probably) easy fixes.
1) The tuner can't do sharps.
2) No bass amp model of a Darkglass Microtubes

I know that there's the B7k distortion, but I actually like the amp and the Microtubes Infinity better than anything I can get out of the Helix. Maybe I just need to buy an Infinity and not play bass through the Helix anymore.

But come on, with the tech we have now-a-days, we can't have an option for the tuner to display the notes as sharps instead of flats? I've never found it annoying until today. Come on Line 6. Sharps!

Reaction score
I also need for the Helix to have a stereo function where I can put in two different guitar tracks and hard pan left and right. Such a simple thing that even the free amp sims have.

Also I need:

Peavey XXX
Peavey JSX
Krank Rev 1+
EVH 5150 (Stealth, stock, or EL34)
Fryette Pitbull UL
Marshall MF280 4X12
Fryette Fatbottom 4X12

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's the Peavey 5150 and Invective. Though I have never tried them on it. At least the Helix website says they exist.

I always found it interesting they never did the JP2c or Mark V - only the Mark IV. I try to dial in something I like on the Mark IV every once in a while and can never fall in love with it. I'm curious because people have told me the JP2c is the best one.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I also need for the Helix to have a stereo function where I can put in two different guitar tracks and hard pan left and right. Such a simple thing that even the free amp sims have.

Not sure what you mean exactly, but what you describe can be easly done with the helix.