Help! 6505+ Lead channel fail

• Thread starter Derek Ageless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Ageless

Reaction score
At practice tonight, the lead channel on my 6505+ channel died. It happened when I had my effects loop engaged, and I believe it died right as I switched off my delay pedal(coincidence?)

The lead channel still produces some sound, but it's as if I've got my post volume turned all the way down, and I can just faintly hear my guitar. I can turn my post volume past half way, and the sound of my guitar is barely audible.

My rhythm channel was completely unaffected and works flawlessly.

All of my power tubes appear to be fine. All are glowing, and have the same bluish glow when they are fully powered. None of them red plated or looked abnormal.

At the moment, all of my preamp tubes appear to be working also.

I thought it was odd because my amp didn't slowly lose volume, it happened instantly.

All the tubes are new, JJ's from Eurotubes. I just installed them about 3 weeks ago.

I'm gonna assume it's a tube issue, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Quickly..send me your amp. Then buy another. Problem solved.

But really, I'm thinking it's a preamp tube. JJ's apparently are known for going bad (It's never happened to me but QC isn't the best so I hear). Try buying a new tube and then moving it around to figure it where it is. Check here for 5150(+) info. It will come in handy

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Just because a tube is glowing and LOOKS normal, doesn't mean it is good.

Replace the preamp tubes.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I will give you the best deal EVER on some preamp tubes if you want to change them. I have A LOT!!! I have no tube preamps anymore.

wlfers

Reaction score
lol took me a couple seconds to reconcile that quote with the post...

Not to hijack the thread but I need preamp tubes!

Derek Ageless

Reaction score
Problem solved...it was the preamp tube for the lead channel in V5. I'm relieved, I've got a gig in 2 days and I really wasn't too stoked about dusting off my Line 6 Flextone HD for the show. Not that the amp is horrible, but my 6505 simply owns it for loud volumes.

LordovChaos, If Eurotubes refuses to send me a replacement I'd definitely be interested in some preamp tubes.

What kinds do you have for sale?