Help finding pickups (Alder/Ebony Fretboard/Neck-Thru)

Hardy

Reaction score
Hello I am a new member to this website. I recently bought a Jackson SL2 Pro Quick Silver guitar. It's Alder Body, Ebony Fretboard, Neck-thru. Comes stock with the usual Seymour Duncan Jb/59 (direct mounted). This guitar plays beautifully. I enjoy the pickups in it don't get me wrong but the JB is slightly lacking that real heavy sound I'm looking for plus the harmonics aren't that strong. I have been an EMG guy for several years. I love those active pickups but within the past year I've been trying to lean towards passive and all the potential they have to offer. My Ibanez RGXXV has a DiMarzio D Activator in the bridge mean while haVing a basswood body. Tell you what that pickup can achieve heavy no problem meanwhile offering amazing bone shattering harmonics, sustain, fantastic single note potential. The JB in my Jackson is nothing like it :( I play through a Peavey 6505+ so hopefully that helps understand the kind of high gain and tones I like. Now the real questions.

1. Any Seymour Duncan that can compete with the d activator? I want pickup/s that will take advantage and excel in my Jackson guitar.
2. I like the 59. What if I decide to get a d activator would they mix ok or just get two new humbuckers?
3. I am open to any suggestions. I was looking into Seymour Duncan Black Winter or something that could achieve what I'm looking for. Also I don't know too much about the different between direct mounted pickups and if I need a special pickup to fit it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

madryan

Reaction score
Bare Knuckles Painkiller is pretty sweet for some of what you're after. It's kind of hit or miss depending on what setup you rock. Unlike alot of the BKP pups the Painkiller seems to work super well with some guitars and not so well with others.

I'm a huge fan of their stuff and Tim Mills is incredible at recommending pickups that will achieve what you want based on your description. These days I don't really bother with the bulk of the really big high volume winders like SD/Dimarzio and whatnot because for a bit more money I can toss in a pup from a small winder that does exactly what I want.

Edit: The Suhr Aldridge pickup is a great pup as well. Easier to get hold of in the US too.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
From what I've read, the Dimarzio Titan sounds a lot like a thicker/warmer D-Activator, which would be a good fit for the Jackson since it'll inherently be a bit brighter than your RD

The BP Ceramic Warpig is my favorite pickup, especially for bright guitars, so I'd look into that as well

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Can you mix the '59 and the D Activator? Yes, yes you can, the only difference is the color of the wires. Can you mix an EMG 81 and a '59? Yes, yes you can, but you will need two different volume pots etc. You can mix your '59 with pretty much anything you want with the right setup :)

My suggestion is if you want super ballsy, don't go with the BlackWinter, it CAN be a ballsy pickup, but it is more geared to be high output and extremely articulate, which compared to the JB or D activator it sounds a little bit more 'brittle' or 'sharp' to my ears but it cuts really well. The Seymour Duncan Alternate 8 is a pretty bad ass pickup though, it may be worth your time to check out a few videos of that one, Keith Merrow has a sweet comparison video directly comparing the JB and Alternate 8, as well as many other pickups. I put an Alt 8 in my Charvel with an Alder Body, maple neck, maple board, floyd equipped guitar (very bright sounding naturally) and it does all that I think you are looking for.

If you are willing to spend a little extra cash and don't need a really high output pickup to slam the preamp, I would check out the JWP Icebucker or the Gibson Burstbucker 2, both of those with the right setup are pretty much the meatiest pickups I've ever tried with some serious harmonics and sustain.

I've never tried the Titan or Warpig, but quite a few people on this forum swear by the Warpig. Haven't heard much of anything on the Titan.

If you are still considering EMGs, I know they are a little pricey, but the 57 is hands down the best bridge pickup they have ever come up with in my opinion. To me it sounds like a much higher output PAF with just a little less 'bite' to it. Overall it is just a superbly balanced pickup with a really high output. Very unlike the 81, which is retardedly treble heavy.

My suggestion is to just watch as many professional recorded videos of the pickups you want to try as you can. There are some REALLY good ones of just about every Seymour Duncan and EMG pickup you could want. And companies like Bare Knuckle Pickups or Jim Wagner Pickups offer some decent sound demos on their website.

snowblind56

Reaction score
I replaced the JB in my Soloist with an Alternative 8. It was a decent upgrade until I put Duncan Distortions in. The Distortions absolutely slay in Soloists.

Hardy

Reaction score
I've tried my brothers vintage 80s invader and that thing had balls in my 6505+. Im a pinched harmonics kind of guy that good old chicken pickin. Thats usually how I test a guitars true potential.

Latest posts