Help gunch pick out a pointy

• Thread starter gunch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
So the word around here (THE META) is to get a V or an offset X shape for ergonomics in the classical position.

Ironbirds are unobtainium and I'm not quite down with Five Finger Death Rich. Are KKVs that aren't eye searingly ugly plentiful on the used market? Would a Beast be kind of in this vein?

We have Jackson. Easily accessible JS series. Problem is that I don't know if I want a Warrior, Rhoads or King V. I keep flip-flopping on which I want to try first...

I'm not a Dean H8R so a Dean V or Mustaine V would be cool to me, I'd rather have one than a Epi/Gib Flying V.

Ibanez Xiphos and VBTs

Charvel Desolation Star, Jackson Gus G Star and the new EVH Star

ESP/LTD has the SV/Arrow and the Sammy Duet star but it's kind of out of my price range.

And of course we have Epi Flying Vs and the new Mustaine Epis and Kramers. Kramer has a couple of old crusty Musicyo pointy models like the Vanguard that I can think of but I don't see a lot around on the used market.

No hard budget but I'd like to get something roughly Schecter Hellraiser/LTD 1000 level but I am more concerned about copious neck dive.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
FWIW this is high up there because even if it's weenie tier it's mahogany oil finish and that's what I'm into aesthetically. And I can stain it a slightly darker Walnut color.

dvpbs2pfkrjnliiuebto.jpg

dhgrind

Reaction score
my recommendation is save up for a used ltd black metal arrow - idk how you feel about matte black but the guitars are total rip sticks.

BillK

Reaction score
I had a Jackson RRXMG for quite some time, sold to budget a les paul.
Most convenient shape for classical position.
It sits as a V but you do not have the lower horn sticking around.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
FWIW this is high up there because even if it's weenie tier it's mahogany oil finish and that's what I'm into aesthetically. And I can stain it a slightly darker Walnut color.

dvpbs2pfkrjnliiuebto.jpg

Nah. Warriors are lame.

Bide your time and find a used version of the similar idea, but overall superior guitar, a Kelly Star.

FAOSN2ZXMAMsHWs

(Warriors are pretty good actually and tend to have better upper fret access because of the larger lower cutaway. The Warrior and Xiphos also have the advantage of balancing slightly better because of the upper horn. The Kelly Star just needs more love.)

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
The X shapes are going to be better sitters, and I think will support classical positions more thoroughly than v shapes. Especially if you go for the more old school Dean/Epi style Flying V, those wider wings will limit your range of angle to position your guitar for your comfort.

Regarding X shapes, if you're going to get a warrior, get one that is beveled. Personally I prefer the Warrior necks > Xiphos, but the newer Iron Label Xiphos bodies are definitely the king of comfort. However, I believe I'd rather have a better neck > body, so that's why I would recommend Jackson > Xiphos. Both are great guitars - but if you already know if you do/don't like the Wizard neck would definitely help with a decided factor.

The new EVH Stars look cool too, but with a single bucker and a headstock ugly as sin - I have to pass :(

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Nah. Warriors are lame.

Bide your time and find a used version of the similar idea, but overall superior guitar, a Kelly Star.

FAOSN2ZXMAMsHWs

(Warriors are pretty good actually and tend to have better upper fret access because of the larger lower cutaway. The Warrior and Xiphos also have the advantage of balancing slightly better because of the upper horn. The Kelly Star just needs more love.)
Kelly stars are rare as hen's teeth. Super hard to find them and when they do pop up they get bought near instantly. I've seen maybe 3 for sale in the last 4 years.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I would buy the cheapest X series warrior you can find and mod the crap out of it.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would suggest trying a few different shapes before buying if possible. I owned a Xiphos back in 2007 and I currently have a VBT700 and they don't sit the same as each other. Xiphos is way more planted than my VBT so its something to consider.

Jackson Warrior might work well too but ive never played one, the Xiphos was the most comfortable and well balanced guitar for me when sitting in classical position. I only play seated so I cant comment on any potential neck dive issues. Cheap Xiphos has a fixed bridge, Wizard II neck, mahogany body, more expensive one has a trem and funky paint, also neck through i think?

Edit: i just remembered they're making Xiphos again, my above comment is with regards to the ones released in 2007 and beyond, im unsure about newer ones

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
I would buy the cheapest X series warrior you can find and mod the crap out of it.

I'd recommend this, a friend of mine has 2 Warriors he's done this with and they play absolutely phenomenally. Pickups are an easy swap and the Gotoh 1996T is a direct drop-in. Jackson speed neck is my favourite profile as well.

V-wise, I have an RR24 and an Arrow - the Arrow feels like broadly the same thing in your hands, just more comfortable in every way (body bevels, leg cutout, upper fret cutout). Same principle; get the cheapest neckthru LTD Arrow and mod the crap out of it OR find a used LTD 1000 series Arrow. The 1000 felt way closer than I expected to my (very nice) E-II when I tried one.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Jackson Warrior might work well too but ive never played one, the Xiphos was the most comfortable and well balanced guitar for me when sitting in classical position. I only play seated so I cant comment on any potential neck dive issues.
Early Xiphos models have neck-dive issues (I own a 2007 XPT700), but this is caused purely by poorly placed strap buttons. By positioning the strap buttons on side edges under the two upper horns, rather than on the back of the body, the issue is resolved. 2011 models onwards (including the current XPTB620 & XPTB720 models) have well-placed strap buttons.

Cheap Xiphos has a fixed bridge, Wizard II neck, mahogany body, more expensive one has a trem and funky paint, also neck through i think?
Yes, the cheaper models had bolt-on necks. If the model name is XP*** it's bolt-on and XPT*** is neck-thru (same goes for RG vs. RGT).
It seems to be cool to moan about the Ibanez model names, but this is a prime example of why they are actually really helpful.

Edit: i just remembered they're making Xiphos again, my above comment is with regards to the ones released in 2007 and beyond, im unsure about newer ones
The new models are the same shape as the 2011 onwards Xiphos models, with the larger contours and Wizard III neck (rather than Wizard II). Sams D Activator pickups.
The key differences are the Edge Zero II bridge (instead of Edge III), which is an improvement, and the matte black finish (instead of metallic).
XPTB620 is roughly equivalent to the XPT700 and XPTB720 is roughly equivalent to the XPT707.

In terms of "quality", there should be no difference. The old Xiphos models were part of the X-series line, which then evolved into the Iron Label line that the new Xiphos models belong to. They are not Prestige-level, but they are decent and provide good value for money at their price point.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is just personal experience and opinion.

I will only play the Alexi signature (whether it be Japanese or Korean).

The single humbucker + the gain boost is unrivaled for (metal).

It reminds me of a muscle car. Simple, but fat tone, aggressive look, and slick performance.

I have the edwards version of this one.