[Help] Headstock damaged during shiping, is it fixable?

Simic

Reaction score
Hey!

I recently sold my guitar to a guy in the US and during shipping the tip of the headstock was broken off (2 small pieces) and headstock binding was obviously messed up as well :( I have no idea how hard they must have thrown the case because I especially made sure to wrap the headstock in bubble wrap as well as humanly possible and add layers of bubble wrap on top of the case and in between the case and the box - the part of the (flight) case where the headstock was is also damaged. :noplease:

14340018_1201411803259799_1589905689_o_zpstrp2u0qi.jpg

14285415_1200172406717072_1858870928_o_zpsuhhxgydn.jpg

14285291_1200172353383744_1843746227_o_zpsy9q40q6f.jpg

14273588_1200178546716458_2113993238_o_zpsykeom6yw.jpg

14284887_1200172370050409_1852556263_o_zpsvpydh5nz.jpg

14285218_1200172340050412_455729530_o_zps6b15uk83.jpg

14303793_1200163006718012_1848325028_o_zpsgfjqxss7.jpg

Anyway what's done is done,I insured the package so the post office will hopefully cover all the costs of the repair. The buyer has been really cool with it thus far and he said his friend suggested him a luthier that could probably fix it but today, after the buyer described the damage on the headstock to the luthier over the phone, the luthier said it is a 'major repair and might not be doable/fixable'. :scratch:

I have no idea about luthiery and repairs, but I've seen pics of Gibsons with headstock snapped in 2 fixed so I can't believe something like this could not be fixed.

So yeah, I am asking for your opinion, luthiers of SSO - could this damage be fixed? If so, how much cca would such a repair cost? Any luthiers in california that would be capable of doing the repair?

Thanks! :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J_Mac

Reaction score
Local luthiers vary in my experience. The last job I wanted doing (fretboard crack) took me 3 or 4 email quotes to find the right person. I guess luthiers have different areas of expertise and experience. Keep plugging away man, I've glued stuff like that back together myself with Titebond and clamp arrangement, but on cheaper guitars or during builds before finishing. A mate of mine glued half a headstock back on a cheap Jackson that took damage in the post, still keeps tune so it's possible. Doesn't look that great though :lol: That's a RAN isn't it? I would definitely get a luthier to do it so it looks good.

Deegatron

Reaction score
Wenge can be a chippy bitch to work with. I dont think it would take a massive hit to chip it like that. that being said, it looks like a clean break for the most part..
if it were my build I would try to glue the large piece back in, then fill the small piece with sawdust / CA, then I would cut out the binding and rebind. should be almost flawless if done right. that being said, .... can go real south on something like that and you really need to have the guitar in your hands before you can quote....

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like an easy fix, just don't loose that piece of wood!

Also, when asking local luthier's for quotes, take it in person, not over the phone. Over the phone if you described that it could sound major, but looking at it, it's minor.

Assuming it's only oiled and not painted (looks that way in the pics but hard to tell with the flash) The only thing you're really paying for is time and it could run into an hour plus dry time. Some might quote for a couple hours to play it safe.

If it is painted then that opens up a whole new price bracket, but you could get away with a touch up.

electriceye

Reaction score
That's a VERY small break. I'm certainly no expert, but I've seen a hell of a lot worse than that be repaired back to like-new. He just needs to find someone with the right skills. That should be like an hour's worth of work, IMO. More if he loses any of the pieces.

Simic

Reaction score
Ok update, he took it to the luthier and it will be fixed this week. I guess you really can't describe stuff like that over the phone! He got quoted for 150$ just so yall know :D insurance will hopefully cover it so it's np :) thanks for all the replies!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know where this guy is situated? Some places in the USA are sparsely populated, like where I am in Vermont, or a lot of states in the western part of the USA. Maybe he lives in a small town in Wyoming and there is only one luthier...

$150 for that repair seems a little unreasonable to me, but if it comes out looking like it never happened, then maybe it's worth it either way. I would say that $50-75 should be "par."

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Looks like an easy fix honestly.

Some guys can do this very well, and others can't. So I would make sure to see the guys work first.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
To OP- I just wanted to say that I think it's really cool of you to have posted about this. Shows your concern and humanity and ultimately your integrity. Good on you for trying to do what you could to assist the buyer.

demonx

Searls Guitars
Vendor
Reaction score
$150 for that repair seems a little unreasonable to me, but if it comes out looking like it never happened, then maybe it's worth it either way. I would say that $50-75 should be "par."

I disagree. I estimate 1-2 hrs work spread out over a day or two as you can work while the glue is curing etc and there will be two different glues used, then filling the crack etc trying to make it invisible etc, the waiting for all that to dry before its oiled, waiting for that to dry before its cut polished and blended in,

Add all business costs like overheads on top of the time as well as govt tax etc, $150 is a good price.

Deegatron

Reaction score
I'm with DemonX.
Pricing is very reasonable considering all the work that will go into fixing it.

Simic

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the comments guys. The guitar is with the luthier as we speak so fingers crossed for a quality repair with optimal cosmetic results :)

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know where this guy is situated? Some places in the USA are sparsely populated, like where I am in Vermont, or a lot of states in the western part of the USA. Maybe he lives in a small town in Wyoming and there is only one luthier...

If he does a good job that's a great price.