Help Me Choose My EXPLORER!

Reaction score
Hello! My next guitar will be a mid-priced Explorer style. I have enough saved that I can spend between $350 and $600 right now and will spend up to $1300 if necessary. But I’m still up in the air as to which guitar to get.

I am open to suggestions, with the following requirements: It has to be the classic Gibson body style, which rules out ESP/LTD EX series and Jackson Kelly (although I do like both those brands), it has to be 24.75” scale length, it has to be dual humbucker and it has to be set-neck or neck-through, not bolt-on. I prefer high output passives but like actives, too, especially if the pickups have resale value because I might swap EMGs. Also, nothing more than $1300 because I won’t pay that much.

Here are the ones I’m considering at the moment… feel free to weigh in with your opinions on any of the following:

Dean Straight Six Z
Approx. $550 (sometimes cheaper)

Dean-Z-Straight-Six-Classic-Black2-e1389032136486.jpg

Pros: Awesome looks and specs, a perfect realization of the Les Paul Custom aesthetic in Explorer form. Some retailers have knocked down their asking price because this is discontinued and I don’t think it was too popular in the first place

Cons: DMT pickups are a complete unknown quantity for me. What do they sound like? The Dean brand name has a horrible reputation and I’m not sure it isn’t deserved: most of their guitars are hideous (not the case here) and their low-end guitars are poor quality…but is that a problem for this model? What is the build quality like on their mid-tier instruments?

Dean Eric Peterson Soul Z
Approx. $600

imgrc0066613024.jpg

Pros: I like the color, the shape, the overall style. EMG pickups come stock, which is a very nice feature for this price point. Even if I get sick of the way they sound, I can still sell them which isn’t true for most stock pups.

Cons: That headstock… Also, see questions about build quality from last Dean

USED Epiphone Korina Explorer (’58 style)
Approx. $400 to $600

epi06explorer58korina-bk2.jpg

Pros: I’ve had good experiences with mid to high level Epis in the past. You can’t knock this classic style. The price is right.

Cons: Standard eBay downsides of not being sure of an something you can’t play, some people treat their used guitars like toilet paper and people like to price gouge on instruments that are now discontinued. WHY doesn’t Epi have this in production all the time?

And why don't they do an Epi version of the Bill Kelliher sig? I am ALREADY on board for that and it doesn't exist yet.

2016 Gibson Explorer Pro T
Approx. $1300

lg_53d6508dde163542b36a9eb9a3473d83.jpg

Pros: Perfect style, beautiful instrument, I like Gibson pickups. Really, nothing NOT to like… except

Cons: The negative reports about Gibson QC lately give me nightmares. This slightly higher price would require me to save up a bit which wouldn’t be a problem except that I want to know that the extra time and money is worth it. I’m glad they lowered their prices to a reasonable level this year but if there are sharp fret ends, wiring issues, bad paint jobs or anything else that doesn’t belong on an upper level American-made instrument, I’m out.

Chapman Guitars Ghost Fret Special Run (trans black)
Approx. $900

slide_ghost_fret_gloss_black.jpg

Pros: Looks awesome, great specs, very nice features (Duncans and Hipshot! Tusq nut! Case included!) and I’ve read good reviews. Might require a little bit more time and saving on my part but it’ll probably be worth it because this is possibly the best value for money on the list. But I can’t be sure because

Cons: Scarcity. I can’t try one beforehand, I don’t know anyone who has one and they might sell out before I can get there. Also, the maple top and neck might make it a bit bright... should an Explorer be so mapley? (And I'm bending my own rule because the ends on this guitar are pointy but it looks so good, I'll make an exception)

043e1508785dd6043fbef737166232d7054e7c942fc6249b0c50b17c2d111daf.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd say the Straight Six or the Epi LP (both with a pickup swap) would be my choice.

You can also probably find a used Gibson Explorer for cheaper. I've seen Faded ones go for the same price as the Deans. I also think you'd like the stock Gibson pickups.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
I would go a new or newer Gibson Explorer. The Pro T and 120th anniversary can be had at the top of your budget, or you could go used and open a world of possibilities. Plenty of Gibson USA explorers to be had at 800-1000 dollars.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
1. Used Gibson
2. This Gibson
3. Chapman

I had a gothic Gibson Explorer and it was a beast. Sounded awesome, looked killer, but the quality was lacking. It felt like the finish was chipping off easily and the fretboard looked rough. The neck felt gunky when I was sweating. Had to let it go. Not an easy thing to do. BUT, it's the only explorer I've played where that seemed to be the issue. Rarely is Gibson my answer, but in the explorer case, if ESP is out, then there is no shame in Gibson.
I imagine Chapmans to be in line with the ESP LTD FX400 I used to own. Great guitar and it would treat you well, but up against a solid Gibson you would certain feel, see and hear a difference.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
If it was me, I'd go with either the Gibson or the Epiphone.

For whatever negative things can be said about Gibson as a company, they are one of the only manufacturers I've found who can make radically-shaped production guitars that are well-balanced and comfortable to play (SG not withstanding, though, even that feels pretty nice if you use a big leather strap). Their stock pickups are also pretty versatile too. If you're going for the classic styling, and you don't want to go to custom shop, your best bet is to buy either the original or the cheap import that pretty much follows the blueprints to the letter.

Dean, I haven't played enough to make any comments on quality or playability. From what I remember of the Schenker V I played once, it felt pretty close to Gibson style. Personally, though, I'd say no to both choices listed here just for the headstock. Even the Straight Six... it's just a bit too pointy for the Explorer body. Doesn't match.

Aaaaand as much as I like Chappers, I don't care much for pointy explorers. Not to mention, I've never played one, so I can't even trust that it'll sit correctly, I don't know what the neck profile is like, or that there's a spot behind the neck I can put a strap pin on to make it balance (cos, if I was buying an Explorer, there's no way in hell I'm keeping the top pin on that little notch up there- no chance in hell that's going to fall any way BUT horizontal). Hell, I'm not even sure it's the right scale...

Have you looked around for Tokai explorers? From what I hear, Tokai are decent Japanese-made instruments at reasonable prices... and their shapes look like they followed the Gibson formula too.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys. All good stuff.

Man, this thread is making me wish a great deal on a used, good condition Gibby would show up on eBay right now. I know they're out there for around a grand, though, so that might just be my best course of action. I may or may not buy a Dean or Epi just to tide me over until that time, though.

1. Used Gibson
2. This Gibson
3. Chapman

I had a gothic Gibson Explorer and it was a beast. Sounded awesome, looked killer, but the quality was lacking. It felt like the finish was chipping off easily and the fretboard looked rough. The neck felt gunky when I was sweating. Had to let it go. Not an easy thing to do. BUT, it's the only explorer I've played where that seemed to be the issue. Rarely is Gibson my answer, but in the explorer case, if ESP is out, then there is no shame in Gibson.
I imagine Chapmans to be in line with the ESP LTD FX400 I used to own. Great guitar and it would treat you well, but up against a solid Gibson you would certain feel, see and hear a difference.

I feel shallow saying this but I am not crazy about the EX body shape. I don't even hate them, it's just not my thing. I know from experience ESP (and higher end LTDs) are amazing guitars, I love them for feel and also reliability and build quality. I probably shouldn't make looks a priority but I can't help it.

If it was me, I'd go with either the Gibson or the Epiphone.

For whatever negative things can be said about Gibson as a company, they are one of the only manufacturers I've found who can make radically-shaped production guitars that are well-balanced and comfortable to play (SG not withstanding, though, even that feels pretty nice if you use a big leather strap). Their stock pickups are also pretty versatile too. If you're going for the classic styling, and you don't want to go to custom shop, your best bet is to buy either the original or the cheap import that pretty much follows the blueprints to the letter.

Dean, I haven't played enough to make any comments on quality or playability. From what I remember of the Schenker V I played once, it felt pretty close to Gibson style. Personally, though, I'd say no to both choices listed here just for the headstock. Even the Straight Six... it's just a bit too pointy for the Explorer body. Doesn't match.

See, I like the Straight Six headstock for this body shape. But that eyesore headstock Dean normally uses... yikes :ugh:.. what is going on with that company?

I agree with what you said, though, the closer to Gibson spec, the better, for my taste.

Aaaaand as much as I like Chappers, I don't care much for pointy explorers. Not to mention, I've never played one, so I can't even trust that it'll sit correctly, I don't know what the neck profile is like, or that there's a spot behind the neck I can put a strap pin on to make it balance (cos, if I was buying an Explorer, there's no way in hell I'm keeping the top pin on that little notch up there- no chance in hell that's going to fall any way BUT horizontal). Hell, I'm not even sure it's the right scale...

The Chappers Ghost Fret is actually 24.75"... and it doesn't sound bad, either. Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJDYhv4_t4

That's not my style but I can't deny that's some sugary sweet tone he's getting out of that guitar. I'd love to drop-tune it and run it through it's paces via a 6505 but, like you said, it's too hard to say one way or another until I get my hands on it. Feel is way too important to risk several hundred bucks on.

Have you looked around for Tokai explorers? From what I hear, Tokai are decent Japanese-made instruments at reasonable prices... and their shapes look like they followed the Gibson formula too.
I wouldn't count out Edwards:
E-EX-125E_SCB.jpg

hmmm....
60925555.jpg

Leave it to SS.org to get me excited for some second-hand Japanese guitars :yesway: Lots of stuff to think about, I'm gonna be combing eBay and Craigslist a lot in the next few weeks.

MatthewK

Reaction score
My personal experience with Gibson is the polar opposite of what I commonly read online. If what you really want is a Gibson, save yourself some money and get what you really want the first time.

Reaction score
My personal experience with Gibson is the polar opposite of what I commonly read online. If what you really want is a Gibson, save yourself some money and get what you really want the first time.

I've had good experiences with both Gibson and Epiphone in the past but that was many years ago. More recently is when their reputation took a black eye. Having said that, the hate online is probably an overstatement. You've got a point: it's probably worth it in the long run to seek out that one perfect guitar.

WolleK

Reaction score
As a owner of 5 Explorer i recommend a used LTD EXP200.

No Gibson Pro (smaller body.. looks like a toy)
No used Gibson 120th ( played it last week at a store... had quality issues, sound as dead wood)
No Dean because of quality (had two Dimebag sigs)

Had two Edwards LP, absolut bargain guitars, will buy a Edwards Explorer in the future.

WolleK

Reaction score
Also annotation to the gibson discussion: You can buy a Gibson but only if you can test before... Bought one Gibson Flying V this week but tested around 30 other Gibson before and that was the only one i liked. Also had around 6 Gibson in the past (yes, also an explorer) and the only one i regret selling was the Iommi Custom SG.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
My 2c:

- The Chapman and the Dean (if it's a set neck / Korean version) - Both made in the WMI Factory in korea, solid work horse guitars with decent hardware. All of the guitars I've had from there have hold their tune well and play well in general. The gloss finished ones have a kevlar level toughness which usually makes them a bit "too even/dull" to my ears (compared to lighter nitro / oil finished guitars) acoustically but playing-wise they're the shiznitz. And the best part - you can find them used (especially Deans) even too cheap!

Actually - I'm beginning to fade out the brands in discussions regarding the WMI factory, because they are pretty much the same guitar with the same hardware (mostly) - only the shapes and names differ.

- Gibson is Gibson - IME the QC is better than you usually read on the internet and the acoustic sound is better than most Asian (Note: excluding Japan here, people) guitars - better woods or lighter finish, I don't really know. Unless you have to have active pickups they pretty much are buy - gig - record -ready guitars. And they're Gibson = cool. :D

- The newer chinese Epis _seem_ to be ok, but my own jury is still out on the stability of those. The Jeff Waters sig I once had was great, but I dont know if I just got lucky or not..

I'd say either get the WMI made guitars for workhorse mentality, or the Gibson for the same thing + cool factor.

...or: you could try to find a used USA dean from eBay etc. I saw a USA made V going for a grand. ;)

Galeus708

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd probably go for the Chapman, though not that particular model. The gloss black is nice enough, but the new Satin Black with Natural Back+Sides is ....ing sexy as hell.

12049283_1249903765026817_1689652822049787622_n.jpg

Plus, one serious advantage for me is the bridge. I'm not really a fan of the Gibson-style TOM bridges the rest of your options have. AND, it's a Neck-thru, too, which I don't believe any of the others are. AND it has an Ebony fingerboard (or at least, it looks like it is, the website doesn't say, for some reason. Frankly, it's a no-brainer for me. But then again, I'm not you.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
I've had good experiences with both Gibson and Epiphone in the past but that was many years ago. More recently is when their reputation took a black eye. Having said that, the hate online is probably an overstatement. You've got a point: it's probably worth it in the long run to seek out that one perfect guitar.

How recently exactly? Cos, to me, they fell from grace with the cavalcade of Firebird X, automated tuners, and horrid attempts at "modernizing" their classic shapes. (I've tried a few of those 2015 models... oh god...)

I ask cos I've been eyeing an '07 Flying V recently, and I wanted to know if that particular year is part of their downward spiral.

Reaction score
Moved to "Beginners/FAQ"? That's interesting. I'm a gigging professional who hasn't been called a "beginner" for about 16 years so it strikes me as odd but... OK.

Reaction score
As a owner of 5 Explorer i recommend a used LTD EXP200.

No Gibson Pro (smaller body.. looks like a toy)
No used Gibson 120th ( played it last week at a store... had quality issues, sound as dead wood)
No Dean because of quality (had two Dimebag sigs)

Had two Edwards LP, absolut bargain guitars, will buy a Edwards Explorer in the future.

I missed out on this model when it was new and didn't even know it existed, thanks for the tip. Does the bolt-on neck severely brighten the tone? I'd like to avoid that, if possible... I really love the access and response from a set neck or neck-thru.

find a 90' Gibson or a Korina épiphone.

How recently exactly? Cos, to me, they fell from grace with the cavalcade of Firebird X, automated tuners, and horrid attempts at "modernizing" their classic shapes. (I've tried a few of those 2015 models... oh god...)

I ask cos I've been eyeing an '07 Flying V recently, and I wanted to know if that particular year is part of their downward spiral.

I have to say, I do like 90's era Gibsons. I played Les Pauls quite a lot from 99 through about 2005 and then my life took me in another direction. From online research, I have become aware of the horrible design and "innovation" choices made under the Henry J administration. (that Firebird X especially blows my mind... looks like a Fisher Price toy with tone that sounds like a crappy Digitech multi-effects pedal I used to have and hated even then). The 07 V may or may not have been worth picking up, I feel like their late 90s and early 00's offerings were great, though, I had some good times.

Reaction score
My 2c:

- The Chapman and the Dean (if it's a set neck / Korean version) - Both made in the WMI Factory in korea, solid work horse guitars with decent hardware. All of the guitars I've had from there have hold their tune well and play well in general. The gloss finished ones have a kevlar level toughness which usually makes them a bit "too even/dull" to my ears (compared to lighter nitro / oil finished guitars) acoustically but playing-wise they're the shiznitz. And the best part - you can find them used (especially Deans) even too cheap!

Actually - I'm beginning to fade out the brands in discussions regarding the WMI factory, because they are pretty much the same guitar with the same hardware (mostly) - only the shapes and names differ.

- Gibson is Gibson - IME the QC is better than you usually read on the internet and the acoustic sound is better than most Asian (Note: excluding Japan here, people) guitars - better woods or lighter finish, I don't really know. Unless you have to have active pickups they pretty much are buy - gig - record -ready guitars. And they're Gibson = cool. :D

- The newer chinese Epis _seem_ to be ok, but my own jury is still out on the stability of those. The Jeff Waters sig I once had was great, but I dont know if I just got lucky or not..

I'd say either get the WMI made guitars for workhorse mentality, or the Gibson for the same thing + cool factor.

...or: you could try to find a used USA dean from eBay etc. I saw a USA made V going for a grand. ;)

The Dean I'm looking at IS set-neck and Korean, I think you're right about consistency from that factory. And I know the resonance from heavily-coated poly finished guitars from overseas isn't the same as a thinner nitro made in America but, like I said, I don't hate a lot of the Epis I've played so it might be something I can live with.

Still keeping a used Gibby on my priority list, this thread is giving me motivation to go bargain hunting.

If it were me, I'd probably go for the Chapman, though not that particular model. The gloss black is nice enough, but the new Satin Black with Natural Back+Sides is ....ing sexy as hell.

12049283_1249903765026817_1689652822049787622_n.jpg

Plus, one serious advantage for me is the bridge. I'm not really a fan of the Gibson-style TOM bridges the rest of your options have. AND, it's a Neck-thru, too, which I don't believe any of the others are. AND it has an Ebony fingerboard (or at least, it looks like it is, the website doesn't say, for some reason. Frankly, it's a no-brainer for me. But then again, I'm not you.

Generally, I love the Gibson aesthetic best for this body shape but, like I said above, the Chapman is the one guitar I've seen that tweaks and updates the formula in a way that I don't mind, it's definitely captured my curiosity. And you're right about those specs, I'd be lying if I said they didn't impress me. How often do you see Hipshots, Duncans and an ebony board (probably) on a neck-thru instrument WITH a case at this price? It reminds me of the way Schecter surprised everyone when they released the Merrow sig... everyone was blown away. I'd drop everything if I found a Chapman Ghost Fret local to test.

Latest posts