Help me find my new amp!

• Thread starter SevenStringSam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenStringSam

Beware the glube!
Reaction score
First i wanted to say its been a while and feels great to be back.
So over the last year a lot of my gear was stolen :(
But now I'm financially to where I can replace everything

So I've been looking for under 1000 total.
My real only requirements are it being tube. Super articulate and able to really handle 7s with mega clarity.

To get an idea of the sounds I'm looking for

For the heavy side think Chelsea grin. Born of osiris king 810 scar symmetry and korn

But for the clean think more psytrance style guitar such as random rab (lace and the riddle) shpongle (no turn unstoned and around the world in a tea daze)

I'm currently left with a delay pedal. Boost pedal. noise gate.

The gear I'm using is a b.c rich njc bich. Esp ltd dj 600
And an ibanez s7420fm which will be my main guitar

So I'm looking at engl But they seem very inorganic
Mesa but hella expensive.
Orange but I am iffy about the eq
Hughes and kettner nfff
Blackheart
Egnater
And the bogner Line 6

So I'm open to all help

Thanks and i love you all man its nice to be back

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenStringSam

Beware the glube!
Reaction score
Hmm i haven't looked much into the 5153. How are the cleans also yeah combo or head and cab. I maybe can push my limitb to 1200 or 1300 for the right setup

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Chelsea Grin to Korn to psychedelic cleans is a huge change in sound. You might be better off looking at a used digital system, but if you want analog Mesa might be your best bet. Rectifiers can get pretty brutal and loose, but work pretty well for tight stuff if you throw a tube screamer in front. Maaaaaybe an Orange Thunderverb?

You'll rely pretty heavily on pedals though, you'll definitely want a fuzz and a tubescreamer along with whatever delays and reverbs you end up using. You said you wanted "organic" a British voiced amp might be a little better for this.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
So the POD HD series is outdated and replaced but is pretty decent. It's pretty cheap.

Then there are "pro-level" rigs, I've heard good things about the Kemper, Axe-FX and Line 6 Helix, (never tried any, but they're adored by a lot of pros) but those are fairly expensive, but can simulate your amp/effects/cabs/mics as an all-in-one solution.

Either way, you'll need something called a Full Range, Flat Response monitor (FRFR) and a way to power it, sometimes they have the power solution built in. The nice bit is that besides having everything done in a single unit you can just run a line from your unit to the front of house, it's pretty nifty. If you want a fairly cheap way to the monitor I'd look at Carvin for their FRFR monitors.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
An alto ts115 and a pod hd500x are a good choice for going digital on a budget. i could happily gig with with that rig.

A 5150 III does great cleans, crunch, and super high gain. i love the 5150 II and it can be a bit cheaper than the EVH version.

I'm not sure if the PRS archon is in that price range, but those are great clean and dirty amps.

BurningRome

Reaction score
For the price you're wanting to spend just go with a VHT/Fryette. Hands down, you're wasting your time with the Egnator and Blackheart stuff. Orange offers great stuff, but not better than what you'll get out of the Fryette SigX. I've owned all the great Orange amps except for the OR line of stuff and I loved the Thunderverb 200 but it's not in your price range and honestly it wasn't fully satisfying for the price they go for used.

If you want to keep it ultra affordable and want to get a great sound and want to get a great cab too with some cash left over I'd just get a 5150/6505 and run it through a VHT cab loaded with P50E's. The speakers clean up the tone tremendously giving it a more refined tone.

Bladed-Vaults

Broceidon
Reaction score
I was in the EXACT same spot as you a month ago.. down to the spending limit.. and tone style.

Be patient and let a 5153 show up somewhere. Don't hesitate to check craigslist. I found a 5153 100w and 2x12 for 1100. It's my second 5153 and for the second time owning it's a behemoth. I love the thing.

It's not AS articulate as my pitbull was. BUT it is a more forgiving amp. It does respond quite well to pick technique but it won't leave you looking like a jacka** after a few beers and your picking gets loose like any of the vht fryette stuff will. Responds extremely well to different guitars..
Cleans are in the top 2 of my high gain owning experiance (of which includes pitbull a nitrox Armageddon knucklehead ktre) with only the diamond nitrous out doing the 5153 for me In cleans.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
For the price you're wanting to spend just go with a VHT/Fryette. Hands down, you're wasting your time with the Egnator and Blackheart stuff. Orange offers great stuff, but not better than what you'll get out of the Fryette SigX. I've owned all the great Orange amps except for the OR line of stuff and I loved the Thunderverb 200 but it's not in your price range and honestly it wasn't fully satisfying for the price they go for used.

If you want to keep it ultra affordable and want to get a great sound and want to get a great cab too with some cash left over I'd just get a 5150/6505 and run it through a VHT cab loaded with P50E's. The speakers clean up the tone tremendously giving it a more refined tone.

I second this. There is a 100CL with EQ for sale on rig talk for $1,100 shipped. Maybe you can talk him down? It's a very brutal amp, crushing gain channel. The cleans are decent and work but aren't anything glorious.

If not. 5150 is cheap and sounds good or like someone mentioned the Jet City amps are affordable as well as a used Ironheart. There's lots of cabs out there too. I like the VHT cabs but with those P50's it's very unique and almost a love it or hate it kind of thing imo.

If you need both cab and amp you may need to get an amp like the 5150 or Jet city and it will sound good. If you could find a used 5153 for $600 I'd probably go for that and a nice 2x12 for the other $400.