Help me solve a small buzz question.

Homebake

Reaction score
i just realised that i get buzzing through my amp on a clean setting around the 1-5 fret area on the low E and A strings. can't hear it with distortion. i use .10-.46 gauge. guitar is rg2550z.

EDIT:

i get buzzing pretty much all the way up the low E to the 12th fret, to a lesser degree on the A and like 10% on the D. but it's worst around 1-5.

i've read through rich's tech setup things (ibanezrules.com) on action and truss rod stuff and relief. my action at 24th fret on low E is 2.0mm and 1.8 at high E and my neck relief at 9th fret while pressing at 1st and 24th fret is abouuuut...0.55-0.6mm from 9th fret to bottom of low E string?

according to rich's site, this falls around the "low" action profile (except the relief for that is 0.4-0.5mm). this is confusing, because i'm assuming with the "low action" profile described, you don't get buzz around the lower frets but i am? is it because of the string gauge? i mean, my relief is slightly higher than what's described.

could it be the nut? my nut came with no shims. rich says almost 100% of ibanez's come with nuts that are too high. could mine be a freak that is too low? i don't want to start screwing around with the truss rod or action just yet, because my set up is perfect at the moment, other than the buzzing.

i like my action at the moment, it's pretty much 100% perfect. lower and the tone starts to suffer.

also, if it matters, the guitar has had a fret dress before. i didn't see the dude at the shop do it, so i can't comment if it's good or not. thanks.

EDIT:

i've been thinking... is that type of buzz normal for that kind of action? should i just consider that if i want my RG to be able to shred i have to put up with this? i'm cool with that if that's the case. what i can't deal with is having a fixable problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Any stupid low action will have a tiny bit of buzz somewhere.

The main 2 factors that contribute to buzz (with a perfect setup) are string tension and picking strength.

If you have very loose strings with low action the string will vibrate so wide that it'll slap around on the frets. If you pick too hard you get the same result.

So I'd check out those two if you think the setup is perfect. Though I don't think you'd have a problem with 10's in standard lacking enough tension.

If its only a tiny tiny bit of buzz though its to be expected with really low action. For me right now I'm having a problem with tension on my low C on my guitar. I'm using a .052 gauge string and with how low my action is its not tight enough to not slap against the frets.

Homebake

Reaction score
Any stupid low action will have a tiny bit of buzz somewhere.

The main 2 factors that contribute to buzz (with a perfect setup) are string tension and picking strength.

If you have very loose strings with low action the string will vibrate so wide that it'll slap around on the frets. If you pick too hard you get the same result.

So I'd check out those two if you think the setup is perfect. Though I don't think you'd have a problem with 10's in standard lacking enough tension.

If its only a tiny tiny bit of buzz though its to be expected with really low action. For me right now I'm having a problem with tension on my low C on my guitar. I'm using a .052 gauge string and with how low my action is its not tight enough to not slap against the frets.

mmm.

well, my intonation is set, the trem is at the perfect angle, my action is just right and the neck relief, from what i've been searching around for, is pretty much dead on. so i'd say the setup is "perfect". the guitar plays a dream, and since i've owned it, i've had it set in a few different ways, and the way i have it now feels the best. i mean, i can't see anything wrong with it or anything that isn't recommended.

i guess it's a compromise; if you want hot and fast low action to shred with you can't expect to have a full sounding, clean rhythm-playing guitar too.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
ummm
you hear fret buzz through your amp?? lolllll

thats a new one :) lol

you will most always get some fret buzz when a low action is involved ...

a little bit of fretbuzz.... i reckon you can live with it...

if theres alot of buzz then get you frets leveled (by a good tech!)...