Help me upgrade an Ibanez RG220B

• Thread starter Georgeclooney5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like the feel of the neck, so comfortable to play but I don't like how it sounds, so thin sounding and no resonance. you can even hear or feel it when unplugged. Can upgrades help the guitar or just get another guitar with a floating bridge? I'm not looking for something expensive. I can get a used Ibanez RG320 with infinity pickups for 200 bucks. but if upgrades can help, I'm looking at replacing the stock Powersound pickups( something from vintage rock to Metallica and modern metal) the floating bridge for a Floyd rose 1000 ( 100 bucks new), brass block, and what I already have but haven't install, a trem block for dives only.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
What year is it? I had an RG220B in metallic silver in 2002. It had something like a cheapo version of the LoTRS tremolo. I just blocked it and put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. It was fine after that.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What year is it? I had an RG220B in metallic silver in 2002. It had something like a cheapo version of the LoTRS tremolo. I just blocked it and put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. It was fine after that.
Hey glad to know someone has used this model. I think mine is from 03.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I like the feel of the neck, so comfortable to play but I don't like how it sounds, so thin sounding and no resonance. you can even hear or feel it when unplugged. Can upgrades help the guitar or just get another guitar with a floating bridge? I'm not looking for something expensive. I can get a used Ibanez RG320 with infinity pickups for 200 bucks. but if upgrades can help, I'm looking at replacing the stock Powersound pickups( something from vintage rock to Metallica and modern metal) the floating bridge for a Floyd rose 1000 ( 100 bucks new), brass block, and what I already have but haven't install, a trem block for dives only.
Budget weird combo:
Ibanez V7/V8 but swap them around so you have ceramic in the bridge and alnico in the neck

Cheap but good (and resellable):
Duncan SH-5 and SH-1

Take the trem off and make sure the posts are not loose.

Have fun!

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Which bridge does yours have? I've seen them with something like a LoTRS, some kind of non-locking cheapo LoTRS, and either Edge Pro II or Edge III. If it's got the EP2 you can swap to a Japanese Edge Pro. I'm not sure if an original Edge or LoPro Edge will fit in the other type of trem rout.

DimMak

Reaction score
What kind of music are you playing?

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which bridge does yours have? I've seen them with something like a LoTRS, some kind of non-locking cheapo LoTRS, and either Edge Pro II or Edge III. If it's got the EP2 you can swap to a Japanese Edge Pro. I'm not sure if an original Edge or LoPro Edge will fit in the other type of trem rout.
Mine has the Edge pro II. Ok thanks. I don't see ibanez selling their bridges alone, but I'll look for some used.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What kind of music are you playing?
Classic rock and metal. But for classic metal, I like to tune to Eb, it sounds better to me. For late 90s and early 2000s stuff, I like progressive metal, nu metal and metal core. I need to think about what tunning I'll keep this guitar in.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Edge Pro II is a decent unit I'd leave it TBH. I'd toss a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. Or if you're not into soldering an EMG set. They come with all the guts and wiring and just plug together.

Do you use the tremolo bar at all? I only use it occasionally and prefer to be able to change tunings than do dive bombs so I've got it blocked. I put on some 9-46 M steels and they do fine from standard down to drop C.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Man, I had the 220b way back - they're killer platform guitars. But yeah, the stock pickups reeeeeally sound shit. I think I ended up with EMGs in mine before it bit the dust back in the day.

I wouldn't worry about the bridge unless it gives you a reason to. For passive pickups, I put Black Winters in almost every guitar I have. They're absolutely incredible - easily the best overall pickup (but specifically to metal, they'll unbeatable imo) in production right now. Snarly, growly, not thin at all, but not flubby in the low end. Just great pickups. Can't recommend them highly enough.

If you're looking at actives, the new Fluence Moderns are really, really great. But the EMG 57/60 combo is insanely good too.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Edge Pro II is a decent unit I'd leave it TBH. I'd toss a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. Or if you're not into soldering an EMG set. They come with all the guts and wiring and just plug together.

Do you use the tremolo bar at all? I only use it occasionally and prefer to be able to change tunings than do dive bombs so I've got it blocked. I put on some 9-46 M steels and they do fine from standard down to drop C.
I did try an EMG 81 on one guitar but the output seemed low compared to other guitars with passives. Adding more gain and a boost worked. I noticed the same thing when i tried some guitars with emgs at a local store. But know that I remember, years I go I did played an ltd ec 401 with the 81 & 60 set and it did had more output but maybe it was the amp. I will like to learn to solder before I get the a Duncan pickup. What do you think of the black winter pickup?

I will like to leave it for dive only for some songs that will require it. I heard using the trem stop will help with that and easy for changing strings and tunings.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Well you've already heard my thoughts on the Black Winters above, but if you hate the 81 (I hate the 81. Powerfully.), check out the 57. It's more open, less compressed, and sounds way more natural. It's got a lot of push too. Best humbucker EMG makes, imo.

Georgeclooney5150

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well you've already heard my thoughts on the Black Winters above, but if you hate the 81 (I hate the 81. Powerfully.), check out the 57. It's more open, less compressed, and sounds way more natural. It's got a lot of push too. Best humbucker EMG makes, imo.
I don't think a hate it, it's just needed more gain but did sounded different. I'll try a 57 first, if I don't like it I'll get a black winter and Duncan distortion to try them. but I'll need to learn how to solder first. So is the 57 hotter than the 81? some people say it a noisy pickup?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another vote for EMG's if you'd like to do it yourself but don't want to figure out soldering just yet. Lots of pickup options if you go that route and all you'd have to do is take the strings off, plug the pickup and plug a new one in.