Help volume loss 6505+ Boss GT100

• Thread starter MetalHex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just cleaned all the pots on my 6505+ and it's now its working and I'm able to play it again. Plugged in direct, awesome. Plugged into Bad Monkey into amp, awesome.

I then hooked up my GT100 in the 4cm. The way I have it is button one is my 6505+ lead channel brutal distortion boosted with a TS style boost and noisegate added from the GT. (I have always had the GT set up this way for when I was playing my Valveking while I didnt play this 6505 for a while). Button 2 is where I have the GT bypass the amps preamp and have as a clean+chorus preset from the GT. Buttons 3 and 4 are also stock preset from the GT.

Buttons 2 3 and 4's volume react normally however button 1 does not. The volume on the GT and the amp are not really as responsive as they should be for this button. I did notice the slight volume swelling too. It's strange because when I plug the GT100 4CM in my VK it works perfectly.

I checked and yes all the cables are good and plugged in the right jack. I checked all the tubes and they look good to me.......as I've said, everything acts as it should hooked up to the VK. Plus the amps volume and all the other knobs respond normally when not using the GT.

I'd take the embarrassment of realizing it was a stupid brainfart moment on my end, rather than having it be a bigger issue. Thanks in advance. What gives?

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Well, this is always a tricky thing to test as there's a million possible causes, but given how the volume appears to be having issues and the same thing on the VK is not happening, start out by making sure the FX loop is alright, by using something like a simple delay pedal there. Look for either volume loss or a sudden "flubbing out". If that isn't happening at all, then we can assume the loop is working fine and move to different steps, like disengaging the overdrive and gate (i.e. nothing is affecting what goes in and out of the preamp) and what the behaviour is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I haven't tried the 4cm yet. I decided to dispose all my amps and went frfr!

I'm not sure if this is of any help, but try to balance out the levels of each effects your using in the patch. I turn off all the effects, then I use a dB meter to balance the dry sound with the wet sound for each effects.

For the dB meter, I could've used my DAW's but I used Audacity instead because I could see and understand the level better.

Good luck!

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't tried the 4cm yet. I decided to dispose all my amps and went frfr!

I'm not sure if this is of any help, but try to balance out the levels of each effects your using in the patch. I turn off all the effects, then I use a dB meter to balance the dry sound with the wet sound for each effects.

For the dB meter, I could've used my DAW's but I used Audacity instead because I could see and understand the level better.

Good luck!
I appreciate your help but I dont think it will help. The levels are already balanced I've been using this unit for 3 years now. The volume level on the first patch (amps distortion), is barely responsive

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
IF everything is normal hooked up to another amp using the same configuration, something is up with your amp, or a level is off somewhere in the amp's preamp. It sounds like the only patch that has the amps preamp in it is the first one, and that's the only one giving you problems, so something is goofed between the input and the FX send.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So i plugged put my boss delay pedal in the fx loop to make sure it worked and it did.....but it lacked distortion with the pre even turned all the way up. It didn't sound like full balls distortion like it should have.

It sounds like you set the patches up on the VK but the 6505's loop is at a different level.
that does sound like a possibility i will check it out later when im home. But still there was slight volume swelling and the volumes were almost unresponsive. Both volume knobs. Even if the levels werent matched, one of those colume knobs should have cranked. No?

devastone

Reaction score
I meant if one loop is line level and the other is instrument level, they will be very different. I've not used either amp, you might try contacting Peavey support and asking.

Descent

Reaction score
I have GT-10 in 4 cable method but not used it with 6505. I'll try by leaving 4CM in and disengaging everything in the signal chain. You should have neutral sound as close to bypassed. Look at gain staging. My guess is you're goosing either the front preamp of the fx return, but build your patch from scratch.

Experiment with the 12 band (slider eq) eq by just doing volume increase by few db and decrease by few db to see if that affects it and fixes the issue.

Disengage both noise gates for the duration of the test, add later.

Lastly, please post the whole master effect flow as it is on the screen. Where are you placing the fx loop on the GT-100 chain?

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I solved the problem either went away or the wasnt a problem with volume because it seems to be fine now

Descent

Reaction score
Probably dirty input jacks on the 6505 that worked themselves in as you unplugged a few times.

I'd hate to say it but usually these things come back when you get ready to do a gig...in the last moment :)
At least that's how it has usually been for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.