Help with Cab

• Thread starter Hellbound
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
I posted a little while back about an amp and cab suggestion and I happened to find a peavey 5150 amp really cheap. I used to own one but it never really worked for me however......I was using a Mesa cab which I do not like. I've heard these 5150's through Orange cabs during live shows and completely sound different to me. I was thinking of getting an orange cab 4X12 cab but noticed that they make a 240 watt and a 400 watt. I do not know much about this kinda of stuff but my father who is a musician is saying I probably want to stay with the 200 watt version.

I don't know basically I have another 5150 head I am staying away from a Mesa cab so any suggestions? Thanks.

BTW I chose the 5150 because it provides the balls or whatever you want to call it for the type of extreme metal sound I am going for.......think of the sound on Mnemic's new album I like the power of their guitar sounds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
Orange makes awesome cabs, but I can also recommend a Krank Revolution 4x12. The wood used in the construction is different from most other cabs, and I think it sounds awesome.

Necky379

Reaction score
splawn is selling loaded cabs for 750$. i dont have any personal experience with them but i hear nothing but good things. considering how expensive the orange cabs are, if the splawn works out for you you'd be saving some serious coin. and if you dont like it i can buy it from you at it's much lower used resale price... :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Can you try out the orange cab with your head, at volume?

Have you tried a mesa stiletto cab, or recto standard (not oversized)?

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Orange are good cabs, but to be completely honest I think the 5150 sounds amazing through mesa recto cabs. I dont know what kind you have, but from my experience I think they are a perfect match for a great metal sound.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Can you try out the orange cab with your head, at volume?

Have you tried a mesa stiletto cab, or recto standard (not oversized)?

Hard to find any music shops with orange cabs so no. I would have to order and make sure they have a return policy. I just would think the 400 watt cab would be overkill for a 120 watt head......that's why I'm thinking the other 240 watt orange cab is the better choice.....am I correct?

As far as Mesa cabs yes I've tried all of them slanted straight, stiletto I am just burned out on Mesa cabs. It's not like it has to be an orange cab I just hear so many great things about them and like I said several local bands use orange cabs they sound so tight to me.....who k owe what speakers they are using but I know I can always change those up if necessary.

Nightcrawler

thrashin`til`death
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't dig Vintage30's in Mesa recto cabs, which are the same speaker as the 240 watt Orange Cab has. The 400W Orange has Gk-100's which sound way different. I don't think the power handling really matters if you're looking for tight metal tone. Neither speaker will break up easily.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Orange uses British made v30s for the 240watt cab, if im not mistaken, which have a smoother "curve" to them. The 400 watt cabs are g100ks I think? No experience with the 400 watt cabs.

The thing is, the cab rating is only for "dont put more than ___ into this cab". A cab with greenbacks sound different than a cab with v30s, due to alot of variables within the speaker manufacturing. The greenback cab will be rated at 100 watts, and the v30 cab at 240.

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
why not Vader?

Don't know.....sounds interesting heard some clips off YouTube with the vader.....YouTube is not the best but still sounds pretty nice with the 5150.
Also has those unique speakers.....can't remember the name off hand but something to think about.

guitar4tw

Reaction score
Don't know.....sounds interesting heard some clips off YouTube with the vader.....YouTube is not the best but still sounds pretty nice with the 5150.
Also has those unique speakers.....can't remember the name off hand but something to think about.

Custom eminence v12's I think it is, and yes Vaders get a lot of praise so definitely keep those in mind.

Geoffrey

Reaction score
Orange makes awesome cabs, but I can also recommend a Krank Revolution 4x12. The wood used in the construction is different from most other cabs, and I think it sounds awesome.

I also have a 5150, and the Krank Revolution together with this amp is :evil:

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
I'm stuck between the Vader 4x12 and the Krank Rev 4x12. The Krank I can send back if I do not like.....it does not look like there is any return policy for the vader.....but man am I hearing some awesome stuff about the Vader.

guitar4tw

Reaction score

Hellbound

€£¥€£¥€£¥€£•
Reaction score
Okay after extensive reading up on the krank rev I may just get me one from musician's friend. I really do not like krank amps but have yet to try out a krank cab. If there is any reason why I should not go ahead and order a Krank rev 4x12 please let me know! :cool: