Help with purchasing first 8 string

gachooeychomp

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing my first 8 string soon but with the amount of new brands and guitars coming out I start to feel paralysed by choice.

My budget is around £1300 so a RG2228 was going to be my choice but I don't want to discount any options, what would you recommend as a good solid guitar in that price range?

I was looking at the rg5328 as another option but the quality seems to be more hit and miss than on the old rg2228's. And of course there's the solar, abasi's, and schecter's of the world. I'm open to most ideas spec wise, fixed bridge, 27 to 28 inch scale are the only definites I would want. Pickups can be changed and I'm open to things like fan frets etc.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
I have not played one, but I think I would check out the ESP LTD M-1008 Multi-Scale in Thru Black Satin if I was hunting for 8s in the price range. The specs are solid and they look tight.

LM1008MSFSBS-large.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I have not played one, but I think I would check out the ESP LTD M-1008 Multi-Scale in Thru Black Satin if I was hunting for 8s in the price range. The specs are solid and they look tight.

LM1008MSFSBS-large.jpg
Really want to try one of those, Pegasus Sentient multiscale pups? Yes please.

gachooeychomp

Reaction score
First foray? Why not used Agile?
Based in the UK so ordering from rondo can be a bit of a pain. I've played a few 8 strings before (mainly schecter and ibanez) and tbh not knocking agile but I'm looking for something more "premium" to waste my money on :)

they have these ltd's on special order at a store near me, I'm going to have a wander in this weekend and see what they have but it's usually slim pickings when it comes to 8's, usually lower end schecters.

Adieu

Reaction score
Decent Agiles are better than mid-level Ibanez LTD or Schecter, and I did mention used.

As to super high end, ymmv, but maybe don't buy something you'll take a hit on if you don't end up liking it.

gachooeychomp

Reaction score
Decent Agiles are better than mid-level Ibanez LTD or Schecter, and I did mention used.

As to super high end, ymmv, but maybe don't buy something you'll take a hit on if you don't end up liking it.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for them, the used market is a bit grim round here at the moment, that's why I was looking at the newer prestige or schecters.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
I strongly recommend that you get something 28" or longer exclusively. As an owner of two eight strings, one 28" multiscale, and the other a 27" straight scale... the 28"'s harmonic resonance is more than just talk. Maybe a part of that is the better pickups in my Strandberg 8 (Fluence Moderns) vs the Solar 8 (Duncan Designed), but the 8th string just sounds SO much better on the longer scale, and the added tension is nice imo. It has really antiquated the Solar entirely, so much so that I'm selling it.

gachooeychomp

Reaction score
Sorry Guys, I figured no one wanted to see yet another RG2228 on this site at this point, then again I guess this is my first ever NGD post, only took me 10 years :)

I can only reason that the guy wanted some more space and didnt use it, which is why he let it go at such a good price (he also had a hallway that was bigger than my house if that says anything)

Came with its original alligator skin style Ibanez case and the associated case candy, only issues I can see are some of the screws and small parts have some surface rust that I've since just wiped off and the switch was a bit noisy from dust. All symptoms of being sat in its case for so long. Paint wise its immaculate which for its age (2007 I think) is incredible, especially for an Ibanez.

Rg2228-1.jpg RG2228-3.jpg RG2228-4.jpg

(Apologies for the terrible photos, its been miserable outside as usual so a shaky bedroom shoot on a fleece had to suffice)

Stiman

Reaction score
I never get tired of seeing these. Love the ball ends at the tuners. Also, I would die to have a 7 string version of this, double-locking, the color, love everything about this!

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
Sorry Guys, I figured no one wanted to see yet another RG2228 on this site at this point, then again I guess this is my first ever NGD post, only took me 10 years :)

I can only reason that the guy wanted some more space and didnt use it, which is why he let it go at such a good price (he also had a hallway that was bigger than my house if that says anything)

Came with its original alligator skin style Ibanez case and the associated case candy, only issues I can see are some of the screws and small parts have some surface rust that I've since just wiped off and the switch was a bit noisy from dust. All symptoms of being sat in its case for so long. Paint wise its immaculate which for its age (2007 I think) is incredible, especially for an Ibanez.

View attachment 101728 View attachment 101729 View attachment 101730

(Apologies for the terrible photos, its been miserable outside as usual so a shaky bedroom shoot on a fleece had to suffice)
That thing looks really good. Especially with what you stated you paid for it. Congratulations, hope you enjoy it! That double lock should keep you nice and stable too.