Hi gain reamp test at retro studios

• Thread starter snatchfire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
Damn, dude!
That's one awesome, informative, well produced comparison.

I'm embedding for you, as this is really worth it -

The Rectifiers sound just like i remember 'em. So does the Valvestate.
Peavey sounds kinda rough, but i could never really get over the change from 5150 to 6505 - the old ones just sound smoother, more refined to my ears.
You can really hear what people were complaining about in the Engl Invader before the Invader II came out, it's pretty bad.
EDIT: wait, was it the invader or fireball?.. Anyway, it sounds like just the kind of amp to get completely lost in the mix.

I was stunned, by the way, by both the GTR and Engl 530. Awesome. Also kind of pleasantly surprised with the Ibanez. Who woulda thunk.
Mind sharing the settings for GTR?

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Wow, that studio preamp wasn't dialed in for shit.

Cool video though, even though most amps were not made justice at all :D

snatchfire

Reaction score
next time We will dial them from the control room :) But yes the most surprising one was the ibanez though my number one is 530 in this test.

4Eyes

Reaction score
next time We will dial them from the control room :) But yes the most surprising one was the ibanez though my number one is 530 in this test.
yeah, e530 (I'm starting to regret that I sold that preamp) and 6505 sat very well in the mix. but I felt that most of the amps weren't dialed in to their best. slo hot rod sounded awful and when I saw the brutal V on the EQ I understood why, studio pre also didn't sound like it was dialed in correctly. also the backing track and overall mix could be better, especially bass.

but nice work, I'm looking forward to see another test, I believe it will be even better :cheers:

Moltar

Reaction score
I honestly thought the Soldano sounded the best. But I like strage guitar tones. The Soldano has HUGE mids naturally so with them scooped down it has this massive lo-mid growl going on.

BUT I would LOVE to hear it with the mids up more, and then more, and then some more, and then with an eq pedal, and then a bit more, and then CRANKED lol. I think it would still cut like crazy in a live setting. Middy amps always do. Although the high end is a bit harsh. I guess I am just going on and on about how much I would love to play around with that amp!

But that sound alone has made me decide to look into Soldano amps when I have never even considered them.

MrPowers

Reaction score
I've gotta say my favorite was the Invader. The character and blend it had during the high notes at 4:00 gets me every time. Its not suited very well to the style in the vid but I could see where it would be amazing for my style.

I may be slightly biased as i've been wanting for one for a long time now though...

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
If the invader was less flubby and had more upper mids and presence dialed in then that would easily be my #1 but instead the rectos win for me

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Wow, that studio preamp wasn't dialed in for shit.

Cool video though, even though most amps were not made justice at all :D

Agreed, the Studio Preamp settings were retarded; the first volume knob needs to be way higher and the bass much lower. Kinda sucks because it's a great sounding preamp and I was looking forward to hearing it compared to the others. Instead they dialed in a flubby mess :noway:

Shask

Reaction score
Triple Rectos almost always win these for me. Those are pretty much the perfect amp :D

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I honestly thought the Soldano sounded the best.

Same for me. the studi preamp was dialed badly it can sound way better than that what's with the flubby bass. Start with 0 bass full treble (treble is also moar gain)I'll try to dig up some pics of my old settings

Joe Harvatt

Reaction score
Cool, my exact rig came up as one of the better ones. Engl e530 into Marshall 100/100 into Mesa 4x12.

apadua

Reaction score
I like the Invader and Triple....

Really surprised with the Ibanez...

Luke Acacia

STRAYA
Reaction score
I dug the Invader, the 530 and the Tripple. Not so happy with the 6505 or the Hot rod though the eq was shit house. Dont see the fuss that everyone is making over the Ibanez.

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
The question is "how did you dial in those amps?" because I dont get it.

Didnt you listen to the track at all before saving it?

Are you an Ibanez dealer or something?

Joking with Ibanez but I had a bandmate who played that TH150 for a while and it sounded pretty good for its price. I had to kepe my 51500volumes pretty low but when he got his mesa, it was volume war every rehearsal so whats worse..

casketshrine

Reaction score
E530, Invader & Dual Recto sounded the best to me! Honestly E530 sounds great no matter what poweramp you run it through. I ran it through my Laney GH50L (EL34), sounded kickass. Through Mesa 50/50 (6L6), its superb! Through my JVM 205H's (EL34) power section...fucking great! I tried it through my friend's VHT 2/50/2, it was killer!