High E string hard to press on the 1st fret, what to do?

• Thread starter Innervision
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Innervision

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a long since I wanted to post about this issue I have with one of my guitars (Jackson DKMGT). I'm having a real hard time to press the high E string on the 1st fret with my index (play an F). It's like the string is cutting through my finger. An F chord barré is also quite painful to play.
I can't remember if it's been like this from the start or if the problem appeared after a string change.

- Could it be because I winded more than 3/4 times on the tuning peg? (see picture)
- Could it be because my neck is too curved and I'd need to use the truss-rod a bit?

I want to mention I don't have this problem at all on my other guitars and can play an F on the high E string or F chord without any problem.

Also, I thought that the bridge may be too high on the high strings but after measurements, it's equal on both sides.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The nut slot is probably too high, especially if you went to a larger diameter string when you changed strings.
:agreed:

- Could it be because I winded more than 3/4 times on the tuning peg? (see picture)
- Could it be because my neck is too curved and I'd need to use the truss-rod a bit?
Not likely. The tuning peg turns should have literally nothing to do with tension, and the truss rod should have an effect on the entire neck, rather than just the first fret.

I think maybe this is the obvious answer, but have you tried a lighter string gauge?

Innervision

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I haven't tried a lighter string gauge. I'm using a 10-46 gauge, I'm not sure if this is really considered a heavy gauge? I'm using the exact same strings (brand, gauge) on another guitar without any problem. And I'm also using a set of 9.5 - 42 on another guitar. What can I do about the nut slot being too high?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd try an .009" first to see if that solves it. You can wident the nut slot yourself, but you really do not want to overdo it. It takes some patience, and you might want to watch someone else do it before you try it yourself. Most guitar shops that employ a guitar tech can do this for you for a fee.

Reaction score
From the first posted pic, one can clearly see that the 1st string is way higher than the 2nd one. This may happen due to the string not being properly seated at its slot or because the slot isn't properly cut. Pressing the 3rd fret position and looking back at the gap between the string and the 1st fret, is there much space (like 1mm) or a paper thickness kind of space? Have this happened to you before? How about with the previous string set?