Higher output pickup options from Lace?

• Thread starter MoistTowelette
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
I know people have mixed feelings about the alumitone series but I haven't had any personal experience with them. Anyone try the deathbucker 6 or some of the less known models, like the drop & gain or the Nitro Hemi?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I quite liked the Dissonant Aggressors I had. Super punchy and fun under high gain. Those had a really great sound and iirc both of the Mastodon guys based their stuff off the Nitro Hemis/Big Block sets.
The X-Bars have some of the best cleans around, and have a huge high gain tone (way too much low end imo though).

I have no idea if the newer stuff is any good. It's hilarious to me how lace is still pretty terrible at marketing, especially showcasing how their pickups sound.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Had the Drop n Gain and I didn't like it. Too low mid focused and no high end to speak of.
Hmm. I happen to have a guitar that is impossibly bright with the pickups I've tried and could use some more low mid character...

I have no idea if the newer stuff is any good. It's hilarious to me how lace is still pretty terrible at marketing, especially showcasing how their pickups sound.
Looking through their catalog, they have so many pickups I have never heard of before lmao.

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to take a peak at Lace just to see what they've been up to. I've always been curious about how their Alumitone pickups sound and feel under my fingers...

However, those you guys are mentioning the Drop&Gain or the Nitro Hemi look like they're regular passive humbuckers in soapbar cover. The Aluma Stealth are on the alumitone kind of build, but covered... or am I missing something?

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to take a peak at Lace just to see what they've been up to. I've always been curious about how their Alumitone pickups sound and feel under my fingers...

However, those you guys are mentioning the Drop&Gain or the Nitro Hemi look like they're regular passive humbuckers in soapbar cover. The Aluma Stealth are on the alumitone kind of build, but covered... or am I missing something?
that's exactly what the stealth are. They just look like regular humbuckers.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
The Matt Pike Lace pickups are good. My friend has some in one of his Les Pauls. I think he has the Dirty Heshers and they're really hot and they clean up pretty good.

Richter

Reaction score
Pretty unpopular here on SSO but I really like the Deathbar in my Strandberg. It's powerful, dynamic and very clear though you may want to cut some of the hiss with an EQ (bear in mind my guitar has 500k pots while Lace recommends 250k). Although it is a very dynamic pickup, the playing feel can be weird. Someone on youtube said it feels like you're listening to a recording of you playing the guitar and I think it's accurate.

Swarm

Reaction score
The other guitarist in my band uses the Drop'n'Gain set in his Jacksons and loves them. I think they sound good and pair well with the 57/66 in my ESPs.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
I have the Drop N Gains in my Drop A guitar and the Downstroyers in its backup. They're a bit dark but I like them. Hated the Nitro Hemi I had and wished I never sold my Finger Burners. Overall good pickups but terrible marketing.

0rimus

Reaction score
Almost 10 years ago I put an Xbar in the bridge of my 8 string. Definitely the clearest pickup and best cleans I'd ever gotten but I was kinda dissatisfied with it for gain.

For distortion I wished it was tighter, more mids, and maybe more aggressive with output...
So exactly what the Deathbar is lol.

Might need to try a Deathbar/Deathbucker soon.

Anybody try the Alumitone single coils? Specifically the 8 string one?

akinari

Reaction score
The Red Lace Sensor rules and so do the dually humbuckers that use it for one of the coils.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
So... I have a Warmoth 7 string baritone with a deathbar that sounds amazing. I thought the deathbucker was the 6 string version, but, when I tried it, I was shocked at how less bright it sounded in my pacifica- sounds okay, but it's missing the sparkle.

lewis

Reaction score
The X bar was fantastic for me, the deathbar was appallingly bad.

I wish I had got dual X bars. Having said that once I found EMG I never went back to Lace again and have no need to.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Bit of a necrobump but in my search to possibly switch back to passives from Fishman, I was looking at Lace for my Strandbergs. Specifically for my Boden Fusion NT, Deathbucker in the bridge, the single coil or Sensor in the middle, and Fusion Jazz 251 in the neck. Think that combo would actually work?

Akira6969

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The divinators from bill kelliher are good, much more neutral sounding then the dissonate aggressors which were way too mid hyped, But now i just want to get a duncan distortion for endgame

lewis

Reaction score
Bit of a necrobump but in my search to possibly switch back to passives from Fishman, I was looking at Lace for my Strandbergs. Specifically for my Boden Fusion NT, Deathbucker in the bridge, the single coil or Sensor in the middle, and Fusion Jazz 251 in the neck. Think that combo would actually work?
As a guy who's had a deathbar before. Get an Xbar in the bridge instead. Tonally loads better. Cover way more ground for different styles and don't have weird eq bumps and fizz like the deathbar does you can't dial out.

And the x bar handled high gain beautifully. Check this -

Richter

Reaction score
I installed a second set of deathbuckers and alumitones on my Strandberg NX6, this time with 250k potentiometers. This gets rid all the fizz often associated with these pickups, couldn't be happier. Now my OS7 with 500k pots sounds abrasive.

Latest posts