Highest gain amp of each manufacturer?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, Mezzabarba is easy to tell, according to the site most "metal" amp is the Mzero Overdrive:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
What about other companies' high gain amps like Friedman, Fryete, Bad Cat, Laney, Ceriatone, Mezzabarba, Blackstar etc, which amps of them are the most aggressive sounding (or whatever you may call, you got the point)?
Friedman: I guess butterslax or JJ?
Fryette: deliverance (other haevy amps such as pitbull UL are not in production at the moment I believe)
Bad Cat: Lynx
Laney: Ironheart
Cariatone: Hot Rodded Plexi Leviathan 50 (this is based upon nothing.... only the fact that it has Leviathan in the name)
Mezzabarba: Mzero overdrive
Blackstar: don't know

Redseven: leviathan

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
It's probably the Lynx for Bad Cat. Not sure about Fryette -- I would think the Deliverance because it's a little less dry sounding. Laney might be the GH100TI. I've only played the VC50 (50w combo version of VH100R) by Laney, but it wasn't excessively gainy or aggressive sounding by itself.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Not all amps sound like butt with the gain at max. My Generator 120 is one that comes to mind. It's a different breed of amp, though.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not all amps sound like butt with the gain at max. My Generator 120 is one that comes to mind. It's a different breed of amp, though.
Yeah, this must be Revv's angriest amp so far, right?
I really like the purple channel, what's your favorite one?

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
It's probably the Lynx for Bad Cat. Not sure about Fryette -- I would think the Deliverance because it's a little less dry sounding. Laney might be the GH100TI. I've only played the VC50 (50w combo version of VH100R) by Laney, but it wasn't excessively gainy or aggressive sounding by itself.
I hade a VH100r and it can sound really good, and if you boost it right also pretty agressive. But I think the ironheard is more gainy / aggresive

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Driftwood's Darkest Nightmare must be their highest gain amp with built in t/screamer & ir loader...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Blackstar: don't know
Probably the Blackfire 200. That and they made a Series One with a revised preamp that's supposed to have a lot more gain, but I can't remember which one off hand.

Some other brands I can think of:

Ampeg: VH140C
Crate: GX130C and the thousands of revisions they did based on the amp
Hughes and Kettner: Probably the Triamp MkII, MkIII, or Warp series. I assume these all are about on par gain wise, but the MKIII has more versatility and the Warp is more "nu metal" voiced
Kustom: Double Cross
Sunn: Model T reissue
Carvin: V3 or Legacy 3, leaning more towards the V3
Hiwatt: That Fortin amp they did that I can't remember the name of lol

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Probably the Blackfire 200. That and they made a Series One with a revised preamp that's supposed to have a lot more gain, but I can't remember which one off hand.

Some other brands I can think of:

Ampeg: VH140C
Crate: GX130C and the thousands of revisions they did based on the amp
Hughes and Kettner: Probably the Triamp MkII, MkIII, or Warp series. I assume these all are about on par gain wise, but the MKIII has more versatility and the Warp is more "nu metal" voiced
Kustom: Double Cross
Sunn: Model T reissue
Carvin: V3 or Legacy 3, leaning more towards the V3
Hiwatt: That Fortin amp they did that I can't remember the name of lol
The Hiwatt Fortin is the custom super-hi 50 and it is super hi ;) on my dream amp list!

I played the first HK warp 7 and than one had tons of gain, but I did not really like it.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd put the 20th Shiva above any XTC, it can get much more aggressive. I don't know how it compares to a Helios, never seen one of them in the flesh.
That's probably fair, I forgot about the 20th Shiva. The reg Shiva never felt super gainy to me.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone who has the answer when it comes to Krank, I'm all ears. Later this summer I'm going to be looking for one to go with my Krank cab.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I'm going to include amps that have boost features to make things even gainier.

Mesa Mark III or JP2C for Mesa

JVM series with Marshall. That amp has way too much gain on OD red lol

Like @STRHelvete said the 6505 or XXX with Peavey, but I'm also throwing the Ultra/Plus/Rockmaster since the boost on that amp is fucking insane.

Fender (not counting EVH) is the MH. Unless you mean tube amps then it's probably the Machete

Randall would be the T2 or MTS UltraXL module

I think I've used the red channel like 2-3 times throughout the years owning the JVM :)
Its just insane, and not in a good way (imo). Orange channel FTW.