Highest gain amp of each manufacturer?

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
My Quad/2:90 on MkIII Lead with the 2:90 in Modern (quick attack) mode is the most aggressive (and best) Boogie I've ever played. Makes my MkIII head sound more ordinary in comparison (it's a beastly amp itself). There is something about 90 watts x 2 and the power amp's response that changes the personality. Instead of a wolf, it acts like a werewolf!!

A JCM800 with an MXR 10-band in front is super nasty (the sound of SLAYER) even though it has mild gain in stock form, especially at low volume.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
My Quad/2:90 on MkIII Lead with the 2:90 in Modern (quick attack) mode is the most aggressive (and best) Boogie I've ever played. Makes my MkIII head sound more ordinary in comparison (it's a beastly amp itself). There is something about 90 watts x 2 and the power amp's response that changes the personality. Instead of a wolf, it acts like a werewolf!!

A JCM800 with an MXR 10-band in front is super nasty (the sound of SLAYER) even though it has mild gain in stock form, especially at low volume.
A big ass power amp always seems to make everything sound better! lol

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wonder if Rivera KR7 (Mick Thomson signature amp ) is their most aggressive sounding amp...

Edit: From their site it seems to be the Knucklehead the gainiest one!

Last edited:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score

I think Modern mode might reduce the negative feedback, or mimic that sound somehow.

On Rivera, it's probably the Knucklehead Tre specifically, but I'm not 100%.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Anyone who has the answer when it comes to Krank, I'm all ears. Later this summer I'm going to be looking for one to go with my Krank cab.
I have both the Krankenstein and Rev1, They both have quite a bit of gain. I like them both and typically run them both at the same time. I prefer the Krankenstein. They are difficult amps to EQ so you really have to have someone playing for you in a room setting while you tweak the knobs. The Sweep control being very sensitive, the amp takes time to dial and NOT for bedroom use, as the amp sounds best with the channel volume up higher than other amps, but then with the master it just is insane. I run them with a Fortin 33 and a Way Huge Green Rhino

Latest posts