Hip Shot Vs. Floyd Rose

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What's the difference between this HipShot bridge: 7 String US Contour Tremolo Chrome) and the more common LFR/OFR bridge?

I'm asking because I can order a 7-string strat-style piezo set from GraphTech and do the change-over myself instead of having to go the custom-shop route to get a piezo equipped FR bridge.

On a related note, can 7-string Wilkinson trems be found? GraphTech also has piezo sets for them.

Ray

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Because the Floyd would be a double locking trem. If you want to do insane trem work, the Floyd would be the better choice. If you just use it for subtle effects, the Hipshot would serve you well.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, are you even sure the strat style Graphtec saddles will fit on that? The spacing might be off. In any case, you'd still have to route the wires somewheres, and with those strat style ones, I think the wire exits the saddle at the front, so it would be a bitch trying to get that to go through the baseplate, and in any case, you'd have the same problem of having to drill out the baseplate.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
They should be a direct retrofit on the hipshot. At least they are on the 6 string version.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check with Graphtech, they might even be able to get you a bridge pre-fitted with the piezo saddles. If I recall they did the saddle install on TOM in my KxK for Rob.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I think that a OFR is the same price as hipshot's tremolo. It depends on what are you going to do with it.