History of seven-string solidbodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxhumana

Invented the guitar.
Reaction score
I like your custom user title sir. :D

LOL, prior to now I was only interested in getting the seven-string guitar story accurate.

However now that the guy has dared to come onto Wikipedia throwing punches (so to speak), he will live to regret making enemies out of a group of computer nerds who are happy to dissect and lay bare every bogus claim he has ever made.

Hence don't be surprised when I announce the "Truth about the Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory" website.

(With full credit to whoever dubbed him "Douchebag" - at this precise moment I forget who it was - apologies)

{EDIT} - It was Explorer who dubbed him thusly.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jontain

Reaction score
Very interesting read, good luck with the rest of the investigation. It is great to see a bit of history into the 7:hbang:

However I can help but feel sorry for people such as this Alex Gregory, must be hard having to fulfil such a big ego with lies. Cant say i really understand people who spend their lives worrying about someones preception of them, espcially when you might never cross paths with that someone again.

Keep up the good work:yesway:

voxhumana

Invented the guitar.
Reaction score
Here is another 7 that Lenny had made.

Re this guitar - I've had a response from Emily Hughes (Lenny's daughter and director of the documentary this clip is from).

She doesn't know the exact details, but has assured me she will ask those who might know and get back to me.

I haven't yet contacted his brother Denny yet, I'm waiting to see where this lead goes first.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Oh, my god, this just keeps getting better and better.

I was reading one of the history pages, and then the discussion pages... where a charge was made about how it seemed that the Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory would have claims questioned online, and then a champion would emerge who would champion the Douchebag's cause... and then disappear after the discussion.

And then there was a link which revealed this user, and the curious history of a huge Douchebag fan:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=18881

A few innocuous posts, similar to when spammers try to slip under the radar, and then the serious Douchebag Defense machine kicks in. *laugh*

I think I'm gonna take a look at SS.org history and do a search on the Douchebag, and see if any similar patterns emerge for other users. It would be interesting if someone had used multiple accounts to talk about the DMAG and thereby violated the TOS, wouldn't it? *laugh*

Edit: Hey, like this guy!

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=19099

And in the same time period, too! What are the odds of two hardcore Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory fans registering so close together, and then leaving the forum within the same time period as well? Amazing coincidences abound! *laugh*

I hope a mod tells me that it quacks like a duck....

Oh... and for the search engines, let me just say... Pentasystem and Celloblaster. *laugh*

----

Quick edit: I just read a little further on this page, and found this gem:

"Based on the several minutes I will never get back I spent looking at his website, I find the general consistency between that site and this article (as well as the 7-string guitar) is too strong to be coincidental (although I admit the possibility of a fan simply copying the website content). The "Maestro" stuff, for instance, is just nonsense."

"The several minutes I will never get back..." That's hilarious! *laugh*

----

I also had no idea that his filing for a US patent was in 1990, a year after the Universe came out, no?

voxhumana

Invented the guitar.
Reaction score
Oh, my god, this just keeps getting better and better.

----

Quick edit: I just read a little further on this page, and found this gem:

"Based on the several minutes I will never get back I spent looking at his website, I find the general consistency between that site and this article (as well as the 7-string guitar) is too strong to be coincidental (although I admit the possibility of a fan simply copying the website content). The "Maestro" stuff, for instance, is just nonsense."

"The several minutes I will never get back..." That's hilarious! *laugh*

That was Eusebeus - he's an *ultra* sharp guy. Multi-lingual classical pianist, lives in Spain. I think he's English (but I could be wrong).

I think I'm gonna take a look at SS.org history and do a search on the Douchebag, and see if any similar patterns emerge for other users. It would be interesting if someone had used multiple accounts to talk about the DMAG and thereby violated the TOS, wouldn't it? *laugh*

Judging by the number of duplicate accounts he maintains at Wikipedia (we call them "sockpuppets"), I would expect you'd find the same here.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Well, those two users I posted above appear to be sockpuppets... or douchebag puppets, I suppose. *laugh*

Although it will be deserved if those are in fact the same person and that the IP responsible gets banned... I feel badly for *hoping* that it's the same person. *laugh*

To be fair, though, I do feel pretty strongly about when someone attempts to manipulate the truth, or even lies outright.

----

I normally abhor just posting a graphic, but the following so perfectly sums up my feelings when I read this topic from beginning to end...

1273986198872.png

*laugh*

voxhumana

Invented the guitar.
Reaction score
Well, those two users I posted above appear to be sockpuppets... or douchebag puppets, I suppose. *laugh*

Although it will be deserved if those are in fact the same person and that the IP responsible gets banned... I feel badly for *hoping* that it's the same person. *laugh*

To be fair, though, I do feel pretty strongly about when someone attempts to manipulate the truth, or even to outright lie....

Well we had a new one turn up today at Wikipedia claiming to be "Martin Stillion, the executive producer" of one of Gregory's records.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alex_Gregory

Apart from not appearing to know what an "executive producer" even does (for reference, ExecProd's are responsible for getting the funding, but are not involved in the creative aspects), he elected to lambast me as on the basis that "Gregory never claimed to have invented the seven-string guitar".

Now that was a new twist on this saga, so I took pleasure in pointing him to the page on DMAG's website where it is thusly written ""The absolute truth remains that Maestro Alex Gregory is the true sole inventor of the 7 String Electric Guitar."
Chapter 1: BACKGROUND TO THE INVENTION OF THE 7 STRING ELECT, second paragraph.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Well we had a new one turn up today at Wikipedia claiming to be "Martin Stillion, the executive producer" of one of Gregory's records.
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Alex Gregory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apart from not appearing to know what an "executive producer" even does (for reference, ExecProd's are responsible for getting the funding, but are not involved in the creative aspects), he elected to lambast me as on the basis that "Gregory never claimed to have invented the seven-string guitar".

Now that was a new twist on this saga, so I took pleasure in pointing him to the page on DMAG's website where it is thusly written ""The absolute truth remains that Maestro Alex Gregory is the true sole inventor of the 7 String Electric Guitar."
Chapter 1: BACKGROUND TO THE INVENTION OF THE 7 STRING ELECT, second paragraph.

Ah, but "the seven-string guitar" and "the 7 String Electric Guitar" are very different! :lol:

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
*sigh*

*laugh*

Isn't that one of the main claims inserted into Wikipedia regarding the Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory as well?

Now, what would be *truly* fearful is if Mr. Stillion is a sock puppet controlled by the same person as the other two Gregory puppets... and truly believes that Gregory has never advanced that claim.

I've seen paper tigers reverse direction and claim that certain assertions were never made, *immediately* after having made them. I find people like that to be frightening, as either they assume that I'm completely imbecilic, *OR* they believe what they're claiming, that they didn't say what they have just said.

I've considered writing articles for Wikipedia, but I always feel that my interests are so narrow that they would only amount to 'cruft....

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Well, done a little more digging and we now have "Variations on a Classical Education" by Alex Gregory.

Link is here:

Maestro Alex Gregory | Paganini's Last Stand | CD Baby

The Album Notes, which appear to be almost whole cloth copy-paste from Alex's site has the following curious difference:

"He is an extensively trained classical musician (Conservatory of Milan - composition and violin)."

So looking at this critically we have the following options:

Mr. Gregory for whatever reason misstated where he obtained his qualifications. If so why?

The reviewer actually realised the UoM does not have a music faculty and is trying feverishly to retcon the situation. For what purpose?

I don't know about you folks, but my bullshit detectors just went into the red.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
The closest things the University of Milan offers to a bona fide music course are a masters in musicology and a bachelors in music informatics. As music informatics is the science of mp3s and the like, it wouldn't have been possible for him to even attempt this degree before the 21st century. Musicology does involve elements of composition, but to call a musicology degree a classical composition one is to totally misrepresent it.

Following Alex Gregory's logic, I have a masters in economics. I don't. I have a masters in history, but I totally took a half-module course on the economic history of Korea, so I'm a fully qualified economist.

Status
Not open for further replies.