Horizon Devices "Nano Attack"

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
It's very well known which frequencies are attenuated/amplified with TS type circuits.

Yeah, they are now. Not when they came out. It wouldn't take much to analyze what these new devices are doing. Buy me one and I'll do it for you even! :D

What I'm getting at overall, is that no one should think it is required of any of these manufacturers to give these details. I, along with pretty much anyone in this thread, would greatly appreciate if they did though! I do NOT disagree with you at all concerning the Fortin pedals. Also don't disagree about manufacturers that try to take advantage of people with a bunch of fluff. I really despise that and try to avoid sending money their way. I like specifics and actual data. If you're product is good, it will speak for itself.

Beheroth

Reaction score
I think -cetanu- has some sort of childhood trauma involving od pedals.

For real tho, yes we commonly use od pedals in order to cut some bass in order to get a tighter more defined tone. However, they also add clipping and compression (yes even when the gain is on zero) making the amp more saturated.
So, no it's not only about preEQ, it's also about gain structure.

Finally, about the Fortin pedals : yes the Grind is the filters taken from his natas/satan amp (wich you claim he stole from another designer, please enlighten us to who it is, cause i haven't yet seen another amp with those type of controls) hardwired in a "one setting fits all", but the 33 is a SIGNATURE pedal. Yes, it is based on the TC pre (just like 95% of every pedal ever made is based off another one), but hardwired to the artist preference. So, no it's not "a slight change of circuitry to sell it for another 225$". I do agree that it's expensive, but hey, no one is forcing you to buy any of this.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Finally, about the Fortin pedals : yes the Grind is the filters taken from his natas/satan amp (wich you claim he stole from another designer, please enlighten us to who it is, cause i haven't yet seen another amp with those type of controls) hardwired in a "one setting fits all", but the 33 is a SIGNATURE pedal. Yes, it is based on the TC pre (just like 95% of every pedal ever made is based off another one), but hardwired to the artist preference. So, no it's not "a slight change of circuitry to sell it for another 225$". I do agree that it's expensive, but hey, no one is forcing you to buy any of this.

It’s been claimed the girth and grind controls are copies of the ‘bite’ and ‘punch’ controls from Larry Amps, but I’ve never cared enough to look into it deeply. Iirc Mike claimed the girth and grind controls were copied from some Garnet amp tonestack. I guess if one really wants to know, they can go look up schematics, where available.

The grind pedal is just a high pass filter in a box, nothing really complicated, could be done with an eq, but there’s something to be said about the simplicity of a single-knob pedal.

I’m pretty sure it’s not meant to be a super versatile boost, it’s meant for one thing and one thing only, so I’ve never really understood the complaints about lack of versatility.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Things I’m learning

1. 70% of all gear discussion is “well is not really meant to do that but it can” And then said thing goes on to be better or more intuitive than what’s originally discussed

2. EQ really is the game

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
It’s been claimed the girth and grind controls are copies of the ‘bite’ and ‘punch’ controls from Larry Amps, but I’ve never cared enough to look into it deeply. Iirc Mike claimed the girth and grind controls were copied from some Garnet amp tonestack. I guess if one really wants to know, they can go look up schematics, where available.

The grind pedal is just a high pass filter in a box, nothing really complicated, could be done with an eq, but there’s something to be said about the simplicity of a single-knob pedal.

I’m pretty sure it’s not meant to be a super versatile boost, it’s meant for one thing and one thing only, so I’ve never really understood the complaints about lack of versatility.
I just picked up a grind a few weeks ago, moving from a maxon 808 and immediately I saw he differences in the two pedals in the way they influence the sound.

The maxon tightens by adding some dB boost sure...but it also adds that midrange hump everybody talks about and is a “smoother, rounder” booster sound for lack of a better description...it is not completely transparent.

The grind is a much more obvious pedal when you kick it on. At first, it sounded to me like a wah pedal with the foot pedal all the way forward. It really attenuated a lot of low end and if you had yo amp previously set to be as tight as possible, you kinda have to loosen/ darken the eq a little to really get the pedal in the sweet spot. Once you do that though, the tone is considerably more brutal and tight than an 808 delivers. There is an intense roar on sustained chords I didn’t experience with the 808. Downside is the grind is NOT for every amp. It was unusable with my old mark IV. However, it loves my KSR and my Revv. Aside from the low end cut, it also doesn’t seem to color the tone much if at all.

The 808 is more versatile and doesn’t really require EQ tweaking to sound right when you kick it on.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Cant wait for the Nano Drive and Nano Drive Horizon pedals! Then I can have all parts of a precision drive for the low low cost of $500!

I can't believe this is the direction Misha chose to move this venture towards. But then again hes been literally releasing drive pedals for half a decade now. This is what, the 8th drive pedal now?

This is why pedals never made much sense to me, the AxeFX was my logical step after my Roland Cube because owning 2k in various pedals seemed pointless in comparison top owning a unit like that. Now I see pedals in our niche being released in this manner and I don't regret that decision at all.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Yeah but pedals are cool

Not all pedals are cool. Some are just tools. And not all tools are cool. Some tools are just tools.

misha.jpg

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Cant wait for the Nano Drive and Nano Drive Horizon pedals! Then I can have all parts of a precision drive for the low low cost of $500!
This is why pedals never made much sense to me, the AxeFX was my logical step after my Roland Cube because owning 2k in various pedals seemed pointless in comparison top owning a unit like that. Now I see pedals in our niche being released in this manner and I don't regret that decision at all.
This is where I ended up after about $600 worth of pedals (15 years ago, lol). Having a 50lb pedalboard with $400 worth of PSUs, $100+ worth of cables, and 30+ possible points of failure (plus some sort of switching system if you want more than one or two of those pedals off/on at the same time which is another couple hundred $$) seems kinda ludicrous when you consider how amazing MFX are these days. I've tried dozens of vintage, classic, modern, genre-designed boosts and drives in other people's rigs and they all pretty much do the same thing, just at slightly different frequency responses.

-Cetanu-

Reaction score
seems kinda ludicrous when you consider how amazing MFX are these days.
It certainly does!
I've tried dozens of vintage, classic, modern, genre-designed boosts and drives in other people's rigs and they all pretty much do the same thing, just at slightly different frequency responses.
Yes, there's nothing you can do with those seemingly specialized pedals that you can't do with a slightly more sophisticated OD like a Xotic RC (fun fact: Xotic does mention frequency ranges in the manual) with its active EQ or even a clone like a Mooer Pure Boost for just a few bucks or a pretty simple Green Mile for that matter because in the end that TS circuit does work pretty well.

Btw. I didn't really comment on this bs before where some people can't differentiate between a drive and a volume knob but with the drive knob turned down a guitar signal hardly breaks over the clipping diodes of a tube screamer so it's still fairly clean. Boosting a high gain amp isn't rocket science nor magic. It's all about that pedal acting as a pre-filter/EQ.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I'm lazy and profligate and would rather have ten boost/drive pedals that each sound slightly different than one pedal that can sound like all of them but I have to adjust knobs.

bulb

Reaction score
Not being facetious, I'd love to see a video of this.
Me too actually, I think you might be surprised with how difficult it is to get an eq to emulate a TS style boost. I have had a number of eq pedals over the years and although you can get some really sweet results with them, they sound fundamentally different from boosts.