How are the Diavlo cab "custom" speakers?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Im looking for a second cab to go with my mesa 2x12 v30. Either a 1x12 or 2x12. The Diavlo cabs have caught my eye. I like the way they look and have had good randall experiences prior.

I really dig v30s but id like to add a cab thats a little different. Im fine with rebranded speakers if they sound good.

So...anyone compare the non-v30 diavlo cab to some high end cabs? What do you think? I could grab another mesa of course, but status quo kinda bores me!

Ill be using a pod/power amp rig with it mainly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've been considering this as well and interested what folks experiences are.

I'm also interested in the PRS SE 212 cab if anyone has experience with that.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Mordacain - i just was reading an rg combo amp review and some dude was saying the diavlo speaker was the weak link....for whatever thats worth. Would love to hear what some folks around here have experienced with it.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Mordacain - i just was reading an rg combo amp review and some dude was saying the diavlo speaker was the weak link....for whatever thats worth. Would love to hear what some folks around here have experienced with it.

Ah, that's a bummer but to be expected I suppose. I was just toying with the idea of building a 2x12 with the idea of having a Theile-style bottom compartments with a semi open back top, have an EVM12L on the bottom and a vintage 30 on top. If only I had some wood-working experience and tools! :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have no clue if they're anything like their previous stock speakers, the Jaguars. If they are, then prepare for a whole buttload of high end fizz.

But then again, I think Mike Fortin helped design the speakers, too, so I can be wrong. Maybe find someone with a good return policy and try them out for yourself? If you don't like it, return it and get the RG212 speaker and buy a couple of WGS's.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ that's not a bad idea Jazz. I may make the cab purchase today. But not after another 5 hours internet research of course which is half the fun. I have been looking at the Vet 30's. I also loved the Wizard when i had it. It's a good 1x12 speaker (loud as hell). Curious about the Man-o-war too, never tried it, heard good things

EDIT: There's a Geezer 1x12 cab on GC used for $199 with a vet 30. Very tempting. These cabs are supposed to be made to order. It's all black too. Hmmmmm. Gear shopping - happiness defined.

wakjob

Reaction score
Ah, that's a bummer but to be expected I suppose. I was just toying with the idea of building a 2x12 with the idea of having a Theile-style bottom compartments with a semi open back top, have an EVM12L on the bottom and a vintage 30 on top. If only I had some wood-working experience and tools! :lol:

Like those old Mesa vertical 2x12's that had the metal grills?

I'd actually consider selling all my 4x12's for one of those with an EVM in the bottom (theile).

Mordacain

Reaction score
Like those old Mesa vertical 2x12's that had the metal grills?

I'd actually consider selling all my 4x12's for one of those with an EVM in the bottom (theile).

Yea, like one of those but are almost impossible to find (at least in my area).

I'd be good with a pair of those I think :hbang:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I ended up getting a Diamond Vanguard Series 1x12 cab. It's got the G12T75 which i like when paired with V30. It's on back order (bums at GC failed to mention this). I'll report back!

tscoolberth

Reaction score
I ended up getting a Diamond Vanguard Series 1x12 cab. It's got the G12T75 which i like when paired with V30. It's on back order (bums at GC failed to mention this). I'll report back!

I'm in a similar situation in that I have a Laney 15w Ironheart. My next (and most critical move) is the speaker cab.

Definitely want a closed back cab but beyond that I am clueless. So much info out there about guitar wood, pickups, amps .. but what about the all important speaker and cab?

BTW, I know of boutique dealer nearby who can get you that Diamond within days, pm me for info.

mniel8195

Reaction score
i have a diavlo 5 watt head an i ran it through my evh cab an old blackstar 1x10 and it sounded better through the 12" speaker. I think regardless if the speaker sounds good 12" speakers sound better than 10".

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ that's been my experience as well. I had a Mesa 4x10 for a little while. Not exactly made for hard rock, but it couldn't even compete with the B52-AT100 cab i had at the time (underrated cab and especially the b52 speakers in there)