How did you decide on the DAW you're using?

• Thread starter BeyondAntares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
I used Cubase 5 in the past and the steep learning drew me away. I'm now using Logic Pro and it's been comfortably enough to use to record covers to learn the software. Sometimes, I fear I'm learning the wrong DAW, thinking I'd have better workflow with another DAW.

How did you all decide on the DAW you're using? What led you to switch? Are you happy with your current workflow with your song writing process?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Basically any DAW can get what you want done, it's just a matter of how you get it done. I used Reaper for a little while and didn't like it at all and ended up switching to Studio One back when it was on version 2 and have just kept using it since. Works fine for me, but I'm sure there's just as many people who've tried it, don't like it, and moved to something else like Cubase or Pro Tools or Reaper

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used Cubase 5 in the past and the steep learning drew me away. I'm now using Logic Pro and it's been comfortably enough to use to record covers to learn the software. Sometimes, I fear I'm learning the wrong DAW, thinking I'd have better workflow with another DAW.

How did you all decide on the DAW you're using? What led you to switch? Are you happy with your current workflow with your song writing process?
If you're creating and working with something that gives you the results you want, I'd say you're on the right path. There's nothing wrong with learning other daws, but I wouldn't sweat it.

If your goal is to be an engineer I'd learn pro tools, otherwise I'd say try whatever you'd like I'd you want to experiment.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Logic Pro is awesome: if you're getting results, don't worry about it.

My current DAW is Studio One ver. 4, and that's mostly because of the inertia of being on Studio One ver. 2. I would never claim it's the best, but it gets the job done. I've heard that there are some reliabiliy issues with ver. 6, so I haven't updated.

I'm actually thinking about switing to Logic within the year-ish. Fender bought Presonus, and so far it hasn't made Studio One better.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I use Pro Tools because 1) it was once the industry standard and easy to share sessions, and 2) because it's what I've always used in the past when in the studio and at home. Every year when it's time to renew, Reaper starts to look more and more appealing.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Bought an imac.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use Pro Tools because 1) it was once the industry standard and easy to share sessions, and 2) because it's what I've always used in the past when in the studio and at home. Every year when it's time to renew, Reaper starts to look more and more appealing.
I loved Pro Tools but the updates and more importantly the instability drove me away. I went to Reaper and it's upped my productivity considerably and it's far more stable. It's crashed but not as many times as Pro Tools, and it's generally been simple fixes and I'm up and running much faster. I don't even want to know how many hours I've wasted trying to get Pro Tools running when it was fine the day before.

Also, none of my sessions have become corrupted since I've started using Reaper. I'll open sessions I did a few years ago and they have worked every time. I can't say the same about Pro Tools.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Any daw is fine, you shouldn't really worry about your daw choice limiting you.

I use Ableton Live because that's what I started on, so that's what I'm used to. I've tried Bitwig, FL Studio, and Reaper for fun, but can't be bothered to learn anything else so continue using Live. Live has good stock instruments/effects, too, imo.

tedtan

Reaction score
They can all do the job, so find the one(s) that work for your workflow and get busy making music.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I loved Pro Tools but the updates and more importantly the instability drove me away. I went to Reaper and it's upped my productivity considerably and it's far more stable. It's crashed but not as many times as Pro Tools, and it's generally been simple fixes and I'm up and running much faster. I don't even want to know how many hours I've wasted trying to get Pro Tools running when it was fine the day before.

Also, none of my sessions have become corrupted since I've started using Reaper. I'll open sessions I did a few years ago and they have worked every time. I can't say the same about Pro Tools.

It's always fun to open Avid Link and have to wait 45 minutes for updates to download, just for the final update to fail. Then, logging into myavid, downloading the latest version, reinstalling, and getting multiple errors when loading a session. Good times.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's always fun to open Avid Link and have to wait 45 minutes for updates to download, just for the final update to fail. Then, logging into myavid, downloading the latest version, reinstalling, and getting multiple errors when loading a session. Good times.
I didn't even get into that stuff, I was using version 10 or 11 lol

I was trying to stay on either 9 or 10 because all I heard from professionals I know using newer versions had nothing good to say about it.

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any daw is fine, you shouldn't really worry about your daw choice limiting you.

I use Ableton Live because that's what I started on, so that's what I'm used to. I've tried Bitwig, FL Studio, and Reaper for fun, but can't be bothered to learn anything else so continue using Live. Live has good stock instruments/effects, too, imo.
That's one I've seen in use and really liked how things worked. Plus the live applications... One of my bands used that for backing tracks and it was great.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Reaper is the best value in DAWs and nothing has been able to pull me away. I’ve used it since 2008 and before then I used Vegas Pro and the old Logic that was on Windows.

I really like the look and feel of Studio One, but spending a couple hundred on new versions every year or two is problematic. I spend $60 on Reaper every 6 or 7 years when they move two revisions up, otherwise all the improvements are free and it’s constantly updated with cool new features.

I use Reaper to folder/bus instruments, to easily side chain 1/2 to 3/4 on multiple tracks, I can slow down time throughout a song, put in odd time signatures, and send MIDI out to my amps so I can play along and have it switch channels on my amp for me. Other DAWs can do that, but I know how to do all the technical stuff I need in Reaper and it just plain works. Why spend hundreds on other DAWs when Reaper does it all at a fraction of the cost and with awesome support?

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
When I was 15 I googled "Free daw" and found reaper, 13 years later I still use it. Bought the license when I was 21. Never looked back.

Tried protools after I graduated audio school and hated it and went back to Reaper.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Been using paid Reaper with White Tie Imperial skin for dunno, 15 years? It fits my workflow the best.