Looking for a baritone recommendation

• Thread starter Jotun@
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
Hey, I’m looking for a baritone recommendation. An Ibanez rgb…(can’t remember the numbers lol) recently got listed locally and I was just a bit too late to the party. I live in the DC area so there is a bit on the used market every now and then.
I had an accident and am still recovering but am dealing with nerve damage in my left hand from it. I usually play my sevens or eights to get the range I like. Playing for under an hour with breaks is doable, but I am wanting to start playing with people out again. My sixers are way more accessible to play for longer periods of time.
So to have the lower end, I am looking at a baritone. Preferences for specs would be 27” or above, 6 strings, humbucker pickups, fixed bridge. Tuning would be from A to low e, likely depending on length. Ideally budget is around 1k, willing to go up if new, but specs become way more specific if so.
Currently there is a bb-600 listed at around 1k. Also some prs se 277s under that. And the ever popular squire bass vi.
I know schecter has a bass vi model as well.
What do you guys like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
the newer iron label baritone RG with the monorail bridge

1719847153999.png

There's still a couple intrepid 630's on Rondo last I looked
1719847298514.png
Harely Benton Amaroks

If you like the body style SE 277

Then Balaguer I guess. I like the Espada body shape.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
Word. Thanks guys! Little on the fence about Jericho Balaguer Solar agile and Harley Benton due to resale and not really having heard consistent things about them. Anyone have experiences good or bad with any of these?
I know agile used to be highly recommended but I always thought it was mostly based on the fact that they offered specs not touched by many manufacturers years ago.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
If you're worried about resale value, you're going to spend a lot of money, and you'll wanna avoid custom builds - it'll be much harder to find people who want a guitar that was custom built to your particular spec. So you're talking a very limited bracket I wouldn't bother maintaining.

Agile is still dope - I own several, and they've always punched above their price point. Definitely recommend them, and I'd buy another confidently.

I've also been playing on a Gretsch G5260 a lot lately. 29.75" scale, and I run it to D# standard or Drop C# an octave down with no problems, if you want to go that low. Solid guitar, built well, nothing flashy but it does what it does well. Pickups are the only quibble - replacing them could end up being a pain in the ass, as they're very specific dimension mini-humbuckers. I haven't really felt a need to swap them, though. Thought about it, but I don't dislike them enough to go through the swap.

My personal favorite so far though is the Squier Paranormal Carbonita Baritone Tele. Dual P90s that are solid and at 27", it can do most things you'll throw at it. I'm partial to Teles, though. I use it more than any other 6 string baritone I've got, and it's the least expensive of the bunch. Great platform guitar if you're into modding, as well.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
solid advice. I’m not really wanting to go down the custom rabbit hole. I already have two guitars in that bill and I want something that I don’t stress about leaving the house. I know it’s already a niche market so going resale will be tough if I needed to.
I couldn’t find any Balaguer noncustoms in stock on their site, and the base price is high for my needs. Agile and fender seem pretty good so far. Grestch is appealing minus the weird pickup size.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Buy a used balaguer ;)

Didnt schecter just do a baritone too?

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
solid advice. I’m not really wanting to go down the custom rabbit hole. I already have two guitars in that bill and I want something that I don’t stress about leaving the house. I know it’s already a niche market so going resale will be tough if I needed to.
I couldn’t find any Balaguer noncustoms in stock on their site, and the base price is high for my needs. Agile and fender seem pretty good so far. Grestch is appealing minus the weird pickup size.
The weird pickup size is a thing, but they pickups aren't bad enough that I'd worry about swapping them personally. They're lower output, but that's easily remedied on the front end of an amp, and they're plenty clear enough to play low tuned. I don't regret buying it at all, though I usually stay in F# standard with my baritone Tele, the Gretsch is my go-to for ultra low stuff when I don't wanna play my 8 strings - I've got wrist issues from old injuries, so I feel you on the OP of this thread...

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Well shit, I was thinking of that Strandberg Essential in the coming year, but I might be going with this one now... What a dope guitar. So directly in my lane, too...

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
I was planning on it. There’s an Ltd bb-600 that looks pretty rad(sucker for lp styles) around the area used right now. It sits right at 1k. Any thoughts on the Ltd?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I was planning on it. There’s an Ltd bb-600 that looks pretty rad(sucker for lp styles) around the area used right now. It sits right at 1k. Any thoughts on the Ltd?
What model is a bb? If its been cared for and above asking prices (i search country wide on used sites) offer less if you feel its worth it.

Iirc 600s were basically 1000s with less abalone.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
Yea. It’s an ec style. Bb-600, has piezo and as 59/jb I believe. Mint at 1k. New is 1599-1799. It’s the breaking benjamin(don’t love the inlays or the band but it could be worse) sig. dude has case and it’s lived there for its entire life. Could pass as new