How did you decide on the DAW you're using?

• Thread starter BeyondAntares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
Yeah, i really liked Reaper's stock compressor!

I think what I'm getting from those who use Reaper on this forum is different than I how I use my daw (Ableton). I use my daw like an instrument/modular synth, I like to open it up and make weird sounds, make a short loop and just experiment.
Reaper can do it with third party plugins, but it’s a better use case for Ableton, Reason, Tracktion/Waveform or a DAW focused on that type of workflow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Yeah, i really liked Reaper's stock compressor!

I think what I'm getting from those who use Reaper on this forum is different than I how I use my daw (Ableton). I use my daw like an instrument/modular synth, I like to open it up and make weird sounds, make a short loop and just experiment.
Definitely a different setup/workflow than what most people are opening a DAW for. I'm trying to learn Ableton right now specifically for live use. The vocalist in one of my bands likes to use for voice processing and synths, and I really don't want to have two computers on stage if we don't need to, but I am really struggling with the workflow. Nothing is where I want it to be or think it should be and the TCP being on the right just feels wrong. That and pretty much no other DAW handles gradual tempo changes the way I like aside from Reaper.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Nothing is where I want it to be or think it should be and the TCP being on the right just feels wrong. That and pretty much no other DAW handles gradual tempo changes the way I like aside from Reaper.
I hear you, once you've settled into one daw, working in another can be a huge pita. Instead of just going and doing, you have to stop and be like "where's X? how do I do x in y?" For me, I have a very short fuse for that since my job is basically that kind of shit everyday haha.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
last time I messed around with DAWs I was using cakewalk with a bunch of plugins I was hording like a goblin

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reaper because:
- I'm cheap
- I respect their overall business model and them not bloating it with DRM - especially compared to others using hardware keys back in the day

rokket2005

Reaction score
I started with a crack of Cubase SX then a crack of Nuendo 5 maybe, I don't remember what version. Then I bought Cubase cause I had already been using it for years and knew it and I'm on Cubase 11 Artist now and it's pretty good.

Reaction score
I use FL Studio because I downloaded the pro version with all the features for free a long time ago (like everyone else did in those days as pirated FL 12 was so popular that even the company acknowledged it and meme'd it.) I learned recording using it, made money with my music and later I plopped down the 500 dollars for the legal and upgradable version. FL has free upgrades for life for legal users. Worth every penny.