How do we define a "dud" when it comes to high end guitars?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
I'm with you on most everything except not needing to dress fret ends. On a guitar of any level that can happen over time due to wood shrinking and expanding. I don't count that against even a super high end model. It takes like 20mins to an hour in front of the TV or < $50 at a shop.

Also, on the other end of things, you shouldn't need to level frets, ever, on anything new. However, I might live with it and eat the cost if I like the guitar otherwise.
For the fret ends, I'm talking more direct purchase, so it shouldn't be sitting around for too long. And to be honest, if I'm paying that kind of money ($2.5k and up) for a guitar from a retailer, they should be doing that sort of thing before I walk out the door with it or they ship it at that price, imo.

As far as leveling frets, I didn't mean a full fret leveling - I probably wasn't very clear about that :lol: I mean evening out the few stray frets that might be high. it's not something that happens often in the price range I try to stick to, which is the $900 to roughly $1400 bracket. I find it more often on second hand guitars than new ones I order from Sweetwater. But it's something I'm prepared to remedy based on experience, but am pleasantly surprised if it's not necessary if, as you say, I like the guitar enough.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickK-UK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If the drummer backs over in his car and the only pain is the money.

Can you fix the dud - if so it's not a dud, it's not right.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
For the fret ends, I'm talking more direct purchase, so it shouldn't be sitting around for too long. And to be honest, if I'm paying that kind of money ($2.5k and up) for a guitar from a retailer, they should be doing that sort of thing before I walk out the door with it or they ship it at that price, imo.

As far as leveling frets, I didn't mean a full fret leveling - I probably wasn't very clear about that :lol: I mean evening out the few stray frets that might be high. it's not something that happens often in the price range I try to stick to, which is the $900 to roughly $1400 bracket. I find it more often on second hand guitars than new ones I order from Sweetwater. But it's something I'm prepared to remedy based on experience, but am pleasantly surprised if it's not necessary if, as you say, I like the guitar enough.
Guitars ship cross country or internationally, experiencing some weather changes. Heat wave + unairconditioned storage = shit may move :lol:

Im fortunate, from cali to north of cleveland and my 68ri had 0 issues (in summer) :yesway:

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Guitars ship cross country or internationally, experiencing some weather changes. Heat wave + unairconditioned storage = shit may move :lol:

Im fortunate, from cali to north of cleveland and my 68ri had 0 issues (in summer) :yesway:
Yeah, but I'm not ordering internationally. We're talking ordering from Sweetwater and having their local facility ship it to WA state. But yes, if we're talking long ship times or international imports, some fret sprout isn't unheard of at all.

Also, I've got an S2020 Prestige that was built in 2000, and I haven't had any fret issues since I bought it used. So craft does come into play.

Mechanos71

Reaction score
My Daemoness is what I would consider a high end dud. Finish flaws, could never get the action where I wanted it literally swore me off guitars for like 3 years. I have 500 dollar guitars that are built and play better.

But kind of what everyone is saying what makes a guitar amazing is really personal. For me it’s how a guitar feels, some guitars just feel so good in my hands I don’t want to put them down and it’s more than just the set up because I tweak all my guitars.