How do you afford guitars from custom shops and high end instruments?

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Even this much as been overlooked, from what I've noticed among several others guitar-related or otherwise.
Think you might have quoted the wrong post there, as following the link to that post of mine, I don't see that phrase anywhere in it.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Think you might have quoted the wrong post there, as following the link to that post of mine, I don't see that phrase anywhere in it.

Sorry. Not sure how that happened, but I went back to fix it just the same.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Not to brag, but I'm in my 30's have spent a large portion of that time with up to 10's of dollars in savings.

Really though, lots of buying/selling/trading where the deals lean in my favor, a lot of right place at the right time, and being lucky enough to make something resembling a living doing something I love. It's just where your priorities fall. Smoking a pack of cigarettes for a year is the same money as a custom shop guitar. It's amazing how much you're left with at the end of the year when you cut out little unnecessary things.
Smoking, buying takeaway coffee, not taking a packed lunch to work (or paying for kids to have school dinners instead of sending them with a packed lunch), going out drinking, eating out, not cooking from scratch, buying lots of brand-name groceries etc....any one of those could cost as much annually as a decent guitar and some people spend a lot on all of them without even thinking about it.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Smoking, buying takeaway coffee, not taking a packed lunch to work (or paying for kids to have school dinners instead of sending them with a packed lunch), going out drinking, eating out, not cooking from scratch, buying lots of brand-name groceries etc....any one of those could cost as much annually as a decent guitar and some people spend a lot on all of them without even thinking about it.

It's actually scare how that stuff can add up quick. As for not eating outside, I'm not sure if any of you have experienced the collective degradation of quality in restaurants since the pandemic. They think they can get away with it too. I guess to an extent, but I no longer frequent any restaurants.

diek

Reaction score
I was poor 15 years ago, but I got a regular job (software), worked my way up the ladder, then opened my own business and now I spend money like it’s going out of style. Am I a millionaire?...not yet, but that is the goal within the next 5 years, fingers crossed. It also helps that I bought crypto when it was cheap and people thought it was for criminals only. I have used some of those proceeds to buy some nice toys, but I hodl mostly.

bronxct1

Reaction score
Software Engineering Manager. I spent a lot of my time early on trying to mod cheap guitars into something better without much success. Over the last 5 years or so I no longer have the time to tweak and mod so I've converted my collection into guitars and amps/gear I plan on keeping for life. I've made some expensive purchases but they are thought out and I value my time more now so knowing I can pick up any of my collection and not have to do much more than change strings and adjust the truss rod every once in a while is nice and allows me to make use of my playing time. I have a few of my old projects around mostly because they aren't in a state that I can unload them but I don't have the time to get them in playable shape. I've tried donating but can't really get anyone to respond since covid hit.

I also know that I have bought things that hold value so if I do need to pair things down in the future, I can get a good chunk of the money I put in back. That's not something you can do when you're starting from an inexpensive guitar

gclef

Reaction score
Construction industry here. My wife does well too. She's white collar.

I can afford just about anything i want, given time and discussion about any big purchases.

Fortunately for me:

I dont sell anything. So, no flipping.

I know what i like. I do not buy stuff just to try it out.

I hate losing money

I buy factory 2nds and b stocks/open box returns where possible the save money

I do my research. Is this what i want? Will this give me the sound i am looking for? It can take months to narrow down a pickup choice for instance, but that choice very often is one and done, I'm happy

The stuff i like happens to be lower tier stuff for the most part. Ibanez for instance. I like wizard 3 necks, which come on the standard line. I like maple fretboards, which also appear on the lower lines more often. Pro fret levels.

I am smart with my money, or at least i try to be. We are big into paying down debt, so this naturally deters me from spending willy nilly.

I sound like me no matter what i play, so i play what works for me. Pickups are used to correct any deficiency in the guitar's sound. To bright? Get warmer pickups. To warm/eh sounding? Get brighter pickups or ones with more character.

None of my guitars cross the 2 grand threshold
Only 2 of 10 break the thousand dollar threshold.
All are good working man's guitars, and i am good with that.

Overall, its kind of a mindset I have. If you are happy with and appreciative of what you have, you don't really need to look elsewhere. This can be applied to relationships, careers, etc as well.

that short guy

Reaction score
I want a Tele of some sort at some point, but (unless trends have moved in some REALLY weird ways and I just haven't been keeping up) a fairly traditional two singlecoil Tele is the sort of guitar guaranteed to generate the LEAST amount of interest around here, I figure. :lol:

A tele of any type/brand/style always peaks my interest

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I want a Tele of some sort at some point, but (unless trends have moved in some REALLY weird ways and I just haven't been keeping up) a fairly traditional two singlecoil Tele is the sort of guitar guaranteed to generate the LEAST amount of interest around here, I figure. :lol:
You're not wrong ;)

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
You're squarely in the minority, though. :lol: A good one is basically a cutting board with two singlecoils and a plate bridge with a maple neck bolted on, which is hardly trendy around these parts. :lol:
smh not even a juice groove on most of these teles

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
For me: I've just always had piles of guitars/gear going back decades. Lots of movers and shakers over that time. Personal situation: No dependant children (although I had a 21 year old daughter that I never knew about from a relationship I was in when I was like 20 contact me on FB which has cost me a small fortune). Mortgage is paid off. Don't do much. Maybe eat out about once a month. Def don't do bars anymore. Have 2 wee doggies that most of my attention goes to. I drink at home only. Most of my disposable income goes on gear or beer.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Construction industry here. My wife does well too. She's white collar.

I can afford just about anything i want, given time and discussion about any big purchases.

Fortunately for me:

I dont sell anything. So, no flipping.

I know what i like. I do not buy stuff just to try it out.

I hate losing money

I buy factory 2nds and b stocks/open box returns where possible the save money

I do my research. Is this what i want? Will this give me the sound i am looking for? It can take months to narrow down a pickup choice for instance, but that choice very often is one and done, I'm happy

The stuff i like happens to be lower tier stuff for the most part. Ibanez for instance. I like wizard 3 necks, which come on the standard line. I like maple fretboards, which also appear on the lower lines more often. Pro fret levels.

I am smart with my money, or at least i try to be. We are big into paying down debt, so this naturally deters me from spending willy nilly.

I sound like me no matter what i play, so i play what works for me. Pickups are used to correct any deficiency in the guitar's sound. To bright? Get warmer pickups. To warm/eh sounding? Get brighter pickups or ones with more character.

None of my guitars cross the 2 grand threshold
Only 2 of 10 break the thousand dollar threshold.
All are good working man's guitars, and i am good with that.

Overall, its kind of a mindset I have. If you are happy with and appreciative of what you have, you don't really need to look elsewhere. This can be applied to relationships, careers, etc as well.
I appreciate the input and the well thought out response. Thanks for the perspective.

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do my homework before buying. I've spent less on my two EBMM guitars than it would take to buy either brand new.

Besides, you don't need to spend much money to land a great guitar. The EBMM stuff, I got when I was still building a career. Nowadays I'm comfortable financially but I have no impulse whatsoever to buy more expensive guitars. My latest buys have been Squiers, a MIM Fender and a MII LTD.

The most important thing is to actually enjoy the guitar you're playing, and no amount of money can make up for a guitar that doesn't feel right.

valvefury

Reaction score

Just one or two of these items adds up so FAST! Great point.

josh1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I usually buy used, so I'll wait until a good deal shows it's self. Like my Prestige for example, I found that locally for 400 bucks with OHSC. The most I've spent for a guitar was 500 dollars and that was for a mint Axion Label which I also found used. Personally I can't justify spending a lot of money of guitars because this is my number 3 hobby. Muay Thai costs me a lot and boy, don't even remind me or make me do the math on how much motorcycle gear and repairs costs me.